Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry. Still no fishing report yet.

I got off this morning from work at 7am and was at Little Seneca Lake in Boyds, MD by 7:05am. Traffic was horrible...... ok, maybe not. Anyway, I had one goal in mind : practice!

I unloaded the yak at the boat ramp and parked the truck. I got all suited up with my rubbers and brand new PFD. I leashed my paddle and push off pole. Now to get in. This is something I somewhat struggled with the other day on my first, shakey outing. AH! A boat dock at the ramp. I pushed the kayak over towards the dock and made sure I was in deep enough water. I slung my right leg in and sat down. Nice. Not so bad after all.

So I paddled out slowly just keeping the setting on my paddle straight across (both paddles at the same position). I paddled in a bit of a zig zag trying to see how hard it was to handle. Not bad! I sllooowwlly worked my way around the small area near the boat ramp just staying within 30 yards or so from the shoreline. I noticed turning was a bit hard, but then again I wasn't moving fast either. WAIT! I have a rudder. I whipped the rudder in and wow! What a difference that thing makes. The weeble-wobbles were almost gone, turning was a breaze. Long story short in about 30 minutes I was cruising it pretty good. I still didn't want to leave the boat ramp area. I just kept doing laps, watching the geese.

I noticed as I was paddling that I kept hitting my knees every now and then. I'm still a bit skiddish about leaning forward or around in the yak to adjust the foot rests so it was a perfect opurtunity to practice getting out of the kayak. Again, I used the boat ramp's dock. I backed the yak up until the rear scraped the ramp. I held onto the dock while I threw my right leg over the side and forced my weight down. When the timing was right I pulled myself up while bringing my left foot on out. Not too bad. Still a little shakey. I adjust the foot rests down about 5 clicks each. I also adjusted the seat up a tad. Getting back in was a breaze.

Long story short, by the end of it I was wishing I had a MD fishing license and my fishing pole with me. I was very pleased. My new PFD was comfortable and everything. :clap:

Another thing I learned was that I got a lot wetter than I thought I would get. Not from the scuppers or anything, I have them blocked off. It was from paddling. My legs and arms got pretty much soaked. It wasn't too bad. I imagine during the summer it would probably be cooling.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me out to get me this far. I'm ready to go feeshin' now!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Congrats, sounds like you're getting it down. Pretty soon you'll be moving around comfortably to get at gear, put fish away, etc. Were you the one that was having trouble loading your kayak on your Xterra? I meant to send you info on a mat you can buy that really makes it easy to load without scraping your paint up.

It's the River Mountain Gear Equipmat, and is just a big mousepad to protect your car when loading your kayak solo. I use it all the time, and it doesn't slide off your car like towels or rugs. The Clavey company sells it:

Equipmat Kayak Car Mat

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been lifting it over my head upside down and, setting the front down on the roof rack then sliding it on up. It's really not that bad. I just need to make sure I have it good and steadied before moving forward so I don't put anymore dents in the truck. ha!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I think I said yesterday that I couldn't wait to hear in the near future how you were getting used to the yak, feeling much more comfortable, and safely enjoying yourself. I sure didn't have to wait long.

Thanks for chronicling your first few trips in the new boat. I think it's useful reading for anyone thinking of starting in the sport... and something those of us who have been out dozens or even hundreds of times can forget when we're giving the new foks advice.

Little seneca has a pretty decent largemouth fishery... I fished there once last year and had a great day on the trust wacky rigged senko.

:rockon:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I read that just before posting this up.

The locals I spoke with were very kind and generous enough to tell me some of the spots where they like to fish. I think for the first time I'm going to go out throwing spinner bait towards the shore and near the timber stuff. I think I'm going to rig two of my poles with some medium sized crank baits and take my first stab at trolling as well. I stopped today on my way home from work and picked up a couple small, plastic lure cases that I can strap between my legs. I'm going to pack it with all of the basics.

Tomorrow morning, Little Seneca Lake... here I comes!

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Little Seneca Lake is a great lake to fish. Lots of bass, however, I don't fish bass much. I like panfish on a flyrod with little poppers. Around early to mid May the bluegills move up on their beds to spawn. At this time, just cruse the shallows while all the time scanning for the saucer shaped redds. Mostly they are within 20'-30' from shore. Bluegills spawn real close to each other and you'll frequently see several dozen saucer redds side by side in an area as big as a bathroom. They'll bump heads to be the first to the popper. Size is always good to very good, except for last spring. For some reason last spring it was hard to catch a bluegill much over 8.5", tons of them but all small to mediums.

I'm glad you decided to break in the kayak on still water. Learning in whitewater is like learning to drive a car in the Indianapolis 500.

Yesterday (Wed.) I drove from Frederick to Fletchers Boat House on the lower Potomac starting around 9:30am. I was in freaking bumper to bumper almost from Frederick down I-270 to Fletchers. Normal non-rushhour drive is 1hr 20 min... Wednesday it took me 2hr 30 minutes to get there. Boy oh boy was I bummed about THAT!!! Did the same drive the day before during the same time and I just breezed though with only minor backups. Go figure!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still water is definitely for me at this point. However, I think that you guys are getting the wrong idea about the stetch of the Shenandoah I was on the other day. The closest white water was about a mile or better down stream and over 5 miles up stream. During the summer when the water level is lower the tops of a very few rocks show up. I'm hoping to fish it during the summer after I get used to things in still water. I'll probably be asking all the anchor questions in a couple months.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome stuff today. I went out with 3 poles. I had a feeling my bait caster wasn't going to do well. I hadn't taken it apart and lubed it at all, and it was a $20 Walmart combo special. I put a crank bait on one, spinner on one, and a jig on the last. I got out on the water aroudn 7:30am, and let me tell you...... C-O-L-D. My hat goes off to you guys who do that stuff during the real cold months. The thermometer on my car said 36 degrees. I went out and got used to casting. Was a bit shakey for a while. Sure enough ka-blink. The bait caster locked up. Reaching for the next pole was awkward. I had an outloud "EHHHHH!!!" moment when the kayak did a good side to side. After a while my feet started really hurting. I figured I needed to adjust the foot rests down some more. So I paddled over to the ramp (I never strayed far from it early on) and went to get out BAM! Leg cramps in BOTH of my legs. ARGH! It did make me jump out of the kayak. Literally.

I adjusted the pedals and took a bit of a break. A local came up and got talking to me about how just the other morning he was tearing crappie up from the bank. Sure enough I had some jig heads and small white grubs. I outfitted my two good poles and left the bad on in the truck. Got back in and I was off.

This time I went pretty far. I went out until I could see the bridge. I was staying mainly in the middle on my way out fighting the wind. Once I got out there I made it over to the bank and just let the wind take me back towards the ramp. I was casting towards the shoreline with the grubs just jigging. I had one good hit that broke my knot. So I just grabbed the other pole instead of fumbling around in a potentially good spot. Nothing else there. Nothing for a while until I found a small stream (very small) emptying into the lake. I managed to bring in one crappie about the size of my hand. Back it went.

Pretty good trip today. I'm even more confident than I was yesterday. I'm ready to get serrous.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
:rockingreport:

Stretching before getting in the kayak is often overlooked, but will make a huge difference in how I feel out there.

Nice job on the first fish.

What knot are you using? What line?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
6lbs mono line. Not sure what the knot is called. Dad taught me how to tie it. It's the same knot we use on our spring trolling rigs. If it makes sense.... go through the hole, pull through about a foot of line, run back through the hole, pull 6'' of line back through so you have a 6'' loop on one side and a 6'' piece of slack with the line that goes back to the reel. Take the looped end and go around the end and part that goes to the reel. then run the lure through the bottom hole and pull tight.

I'll try to find a picture later. It's hard to describe knots when you don't know the correct name. Right now though I'm going to go do a little adjusting on certain things to the kayak.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Ricky, It's sounds like you would have been a lot more comfortabel trialing in 75 deg water with shorts and a tee shirt. That's a real bold move doing this now while the water and morning are chilly....it's make the waves, wind, and wakes of summer a piece of cake.

I did the same thing you did with my little yak last summer in our creek....almost had to flip it just to cool down every now and then. In the past we've practivced deep water recoveryies in canoes in some cold water...not fun !

I'd say the leg cramps and foot pain could have been from tension or stress too.

Sounds like a blast.....Seneca has had some big stripers taken out of it too I beleive :)

For your knots try the PSG web site Hey Fish - The Pasadena Sportfishing Group, Inc. On-Line Newsletter there are a lot of good animated knots there. Also, The Thia guide..Sport Fishing Trips and Fishing Equipment in Phuket, Thailand - Thai Fishing Guide.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve - Yesterday morning was pretty uncomfortable. Good thing I checked the weather out before leaving for work the night before and saw it was going to be cold. I packed up a good water resistance wind breaker jacket, and while I stopped to get my fishing license picked up a pair of water resistant nylon pants. The only things that got cold on me were my feet when I first stepped into the water. I was wearing rubber knee high boots for light wading, but I could still feel the cold through them. My hands also got a bit cold when one of my gloves got wet. I left my spair gloves in the truck. Doh! The biggest discomfort was all the clothes that I had on. I had to loosen my life jacket a touch just so it wasn't squeazing the breath out of me.

When I made the trip back to the ramp to adjust the foot pedals and re-do some lines I waited a while, talking to some locals, before heading back out. In the time it must've went from 45 degrees to almost 55 or higher. I was able to take off the thick sweater I had on underneath. I was able to just have on a short sleeve and the wind breaker.

Once I had adjusted the foot pedals it really made a HUGE difference. I just wasn't comfortable with my knees bent. I kept hitting my legs with the paddle.

Today I'm going to switch position of the ram ball for the depth finder that RedfishBluefish had with the ram ball for the rod holder. This will make the rod holder closer to me so I can reach it easier. I found myself struggling a bit in all of those clothes to get to mine SAFELY.

I know if the water temps were higher I probably wouldn't be AS cautious. I do have a whistle tyed to my life jacket and an aersol horn in the one pocket just in case. I'm also not really straying too terribly far from the shoreline. The only times I went way out from it was when crossing from one side to the next and once when I was seeing how far I could go before getting wore out.

I can also really see this thing really getting me in shape. haha

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I know some guys use neoprene waders. I've not tried mine yet. Putz-ing around in our creek and river last year I really felt it. Sounds like you've got some of the necessary safety items too. Good going....I need to pick up dedicated equipe. for my yak, I keep robbing stuff out of my boat bags for the yak trips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts