Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well ya can always hunt the urban archery. Runs through March.

I hear folks talking about hog hunting. Any good areas on public lands and how big do they get here.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
PBRAMBLE's got it.

Take up crow hunting, relatively cheap and a whole lotta' fun. How many times have you ever walked out of your house to hear CAW CAW CAW, Aw just shut up.

Couple of decoys, full camo, box of shells, and make 'em shut up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the crow hunting thing once years ago with a game warden in Ct. Had a lot of fun and all we had to do was walk across the st and set up. Once we got one standing outside his garage with the electronic call. Just feel bad shooting a bird and leaving it.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
nchaput,

I agree, I don't like shooting stuff that I am not going to use, but I don't make the rules. Nutria are available to shoot all year long as a wetlands preservation tactic and I don't think anybody eats them. I don't plan on eating any groundhogs either, but shooting them is fun and most farmers like them to be shot to avoid equipment damage from the holes.

Think of it this way. Around here in central MD we used to have wild pheasants not too many years ago and in some parts of northern balt. county you may still stumble across one here and there. And I don't see as many rabbits as I used to either but Damn if I don't see a bunch of foxes every year.

The more crows I shoot the more the foxes will eat and maybe they'll leave the other two alone.

Aw hell, shoot the foxes too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, crows don't serve any purpose that all of the other scavengers don't already do. I saw somewhere around the conservative side of 400-500 crows last week while squirrel hunting, all heading for the same clump of trees. Guess where I'm gonna' be next chance I get.

Legal and fun, 'nuf said.[grin]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didn't intend that to be a negative statement. My first hunting season here in Va has shown me little in the way of sucess as far as bag limits go. I just like being able to get out of the house and away from the wife for a couple of hours every once in a while. I guess I will have to take up shooting skeet every once in a while as I haven't really found any good public land within an hr drive from here. I haven't checked with Oceana to see what they have for seasons on their base. Guess I should check that out. Good luck with crows and better luck with the foxes. As for chucks, they aren't that bad to eat. Little fatty but we used all chuck meat in a town chilli cook-off and we took home second. Quite the surprise when the judges found out what they ate[smile]

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
groundhog chilli

Who'da thunkit!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
[Q]Bullbuster originally wrote:
The PETA seasion is year round with no bag limit.
[/Q]
It never gets old hunting PETA's. They are nothing but vermin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts