Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the regulation for the number of traps a LCC holder can legally set? I am getting mixed answers. Rich Y. says it is unlimited, polecat says maybe 50. Please help me solve this uncertainty. Also is there a time limit for traps for a LCC holder. Once again mixed answers. Some say treat traps like a trot line others says there is no regulation. Thanks in advance, Jim E.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Did you think of asking DNR? The LLC does say up to 50 pots. These are not traps. You cannot set pots in rivers unless you are a waterfront property owner.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,148 Posts
Many years ago I asked this same question of a NRP officer and was told the number of traps/net rings was 50 per LCC license holder.
Before and since then I have searched COMAR and have yet to find anything relating to the specific maximum number of traps/rings a LCC can legally use.
When I used rings exclusively over 15 years ago, the maximum number I ever deployed was 50. I was never checked by any official.

Under COMMERCIAL below is referenced collapsible traps, net rings. To me it infers that DNR applies the same quantity of gear for collapsible traps, net rings as they do for pots.

Below is the only reference to traps/rings I could find that comes close to answering part the question posted:

.11 Season and Time for Catching Crabs.

A. Commercial.
(1) An individual licensed to catch crabs for sale may remove crabs from commercial gear in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries only during the following time periods:
(a) Trotlines:
(i) Between 1 hour before sunrise to 9 hours after sunrise during the period May through September; and
(ii) Between sunrise and 10 hours after sunrise during April, October, November, and December; and
(b) Crab Scrapes:
(i) Between 1 hour before sunrise to 9 hours after sunrise during the period May through September; and
(ii) Between sunrise and 10 hours after sunrise during April and October; and
(c) Crab pots, bank traps, channel pounds, collapsible traps, net rings, handlines, dip nets, and pound nets between 1/2 hour before sunrise to 7-1/2 hours after sunrise.
(d) A person may not catch crabs using a crab scrape from October 31 to April 14, inclusive.
(2) An individual licensed to catch crabs for sale may set or place overboard scrapes only during the following time periods:
(a) Between 1 hour before sunrise to 9 hours after sunrise during the period May through September; and
(b) Between sunrise and 10 hours after sunrise during April and October.
(3) Crab pots already on board a boat at the end of the 8-hour period specified in <s1>A(1)(c) of this regulation may be set during a period of 1 hour immediately following that 8-hour period.</s1>
(4) Time limits specified in this regulation are not applicable to the fishing of bank traps before May 1.
(5) An individual licensed to catch crabs for commercial purposes may not harvest mature female hard crabs from the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries during the periods:
(a) June 1 through June 15, inclusive;
(b) September 26 through October 4, inclusive; and
(c) November 11 through December 15 inclusive.
B. Recreational. Except for handlines and dipnets, a person may not set any recreational crabbing gear or catch crabs for recreational purposes from a boat during:
(1) May through September between:
(a) 5 p.m. and 1/2 hour before sunrise in the main Chesapeake Bay; and
(b) Sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise in tidal waters tributary to the Chesapeake Bay;
(2) April, October, November, and December between:
(a) 5 p.m. and 1/2 hour after sunrise in the main Chesapeake Bay; and
(b) Sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise in tidal waters tributary to the Chesapeake Bay.
C. A person may not catch blue crabs in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries from December 16 through March 31, inclusive.

So, the time limit part of the question is clearly stated above for removal of crabs. That answers only part of the original question Jime posted. The quantity part is still ambiguous, but I am sticking to 50 for LCC and even more (technically) for license holders with greater number POT allocations (300, 600 & 900) :help:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So basically I can legally set unlimited traps in a hot spot the night before. Block the entire area with say 200 traps spaced 100' apart. Show up in the morning and defend my area. Pull an unbaited trap and set a baited one in its place Does not seem fair but it is legal unless they change the regulations. The time regulation stated is only for removing and keeping crabs (harvesting) during the 1/2 hour before sunrise to 7 1/2 hours after sunrise. I have been written several tickets for setting a trot line after hours. Baltimore county officer added his wording "with intent to harvest" to the ticket. First Judge bought it and found me guilty. At appeal the second Judge would not say that the officer was wrong or that I was not guilty, he just gave me probation. Again this was setting a 1200' rotten line at 6:00pm in Middle River in front of my house. No crabs were in the boat. The bait was rotten from setting in the boat for a couple days during jury duty. He stopped me while I was putting out the maggot ridden line and wrote me several tickets. "With intent added to the regulation". Many times after these cases were history he would ride by me while I was crabbing and would call me Velcro. What every he threw at me would stick. Still bothers me that this **** happens. So asking the DNR police is not cutting it in my book. They change the wording of the regulations to suit them. Carry the regulation show it to them and they don't give a truck.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Annotated code of Md.

section 4-803

(b) Trotline and cull ring restrictions. --

(1) The Department may not adopt regulations to:

(i) Restrict
a tidal fish licensee who catches crabs using trotline gear to a
workday of less than 8 hours per day, excluding time spent setting or
taking up gear; or

(ii) Establish time restrictions on a tidal fish licensee using trotline gear for setting and taking up gear.

Bottom line here--there are no time restrictions for commercial trotliners for setting or taking up commercial trotline gear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as far as traps

Annotated code of MD

Section 4-701
(1) The Department shall utilize a single, commercial license, to be known and designated as a tidal fish license.

(2) A tidal fish license authorizes a licensee:

(i) To engage in each activity indicated on the license; and

(ii) The following annual fees for an authorization shall apply regardless of when the license is issued or an activity is authorized:

B. Crabs:

I. Up to 50 pots, trotlines, nets, dip nets, traps, pounds, and scrapes: $ 100

II. Over 50 pots, plus any other gear listed in item I of this subparagraph: $ 150

there is no number associated with any gear other than pots, however this writing is ambiguous some could argue that the trap limit is 50

good luck!

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,148 Posts
It certainly could have been written to indicate more accurately the number(s) of each gear type.

I doubt that "B, I" was intended to mean 50 pots and/or, 50 trotlines, and/or, 50 dip nets.....etc., etc.

If the Nuns that taught me in Parochial school were correct.... the way it is written means to imply no more than 50 pots or any number of trotlines, or any number of dip nets, or any number of the other gear types stated.

I doubt that even some Judges could make sense of the wording.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say Rich Y. was correct. He told me that he had discussed traps versus pots with Brenda Davis. A trap is not a pot. He told me there was no written time limit for a LCC holder as far as setting traps. Also, he said unlimited traps for LCC holder. So far from what I am seeing, there is no written law stating otherwise. Thanks, Jerry and Rich M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts