Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know how to remove cookies from your computer , i have windows xp and it seems to be slowing down quite abit , Thanks , Dave

·
Registered
987 Posts
Top of your screen
Click on Tools
Go down to internet options and click on it
Right in the middle of the pop up there is a button that says Delete Cookies, click it

If it's still slow try this
Open your Control Panel
Go to Administrative Tools, click
On the pop up go to Computer Management, click
On the pop up on the left click on Disk Defragmenter, click
on the next pop up click on Defragment
Takes alittle bit to run, but it tightens up all your files on your hard drive. You will notice a big difference

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey FF-

Go to Control Panel and click on the internet options icon. That brings you to a pop up where you can see a delete button under browsing history. That will get rid of cookies, temp files, etc. You will lose some stored info like passwords but its worth it to get that junk off your system.

SD

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
In addition - do a "Disk Cleanup" every once in a while to get rid of temporary files, etc.

From the start menu, go to Accessories, then to System Tools, and run Disk Cleanup. Select the Drive you want to cleanup. Make sure all the boxes are check on the next screen, and Click OK.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
For most people, the greatest slowdown is all the spyware that they collect over the months/years. They never know it is running in the background, but it can chew up 75% of the processing power of a CPU fairly easily if not cleaned out often.

Recommend you use a good anti-spyware program, a good anti-virus program, and a software firewall. I use MS Defender, McAfee Anti-Virus, and ZoneAlarm in those three categories. MS Defender is free from Microsoft and does a decent job. When you set up ZoneAlarm, make sure you place a red "X" in the two colums titled "Internet Server" and "Trusted Server." On a home PC, you should not have anyting listening for external connections. Also place a red "X" in the column titled "Mail" except for your mail program (it gets a green checkmark).

With no servers, a good antivirus program, and a good anti-spyware program, you can keep most home PCs fairly clean running well.

Also don't forget to hit the Microsoft Update site once a week (better yet, turn on automatic update) so you get the weekly MS security updates/patches.

If you want more free tips, bmail me...this (computer/network security) is my line of work.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
thanks ya'll for the helpful hints. i defragmented my puter and its runing much better now. I'm do'n a disk ckeanup now. Man, I'm feeling like a pro:) --------------------------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts