Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:fftopic: what a mess of a race,,, wreck after wreck..final lap WRECK!!!! car upside down and on fire sort of reminds me of the tourists all trying to leave at the same time on the US 1 Highway (one lane each way!)

·
Registered
126 Posts
yea, having Martin leave Roush after 19 years and then win the 500, wouldve been great. seems like all Martin had to do was go to a Chevy.:clap: :clap:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am with you guys. I would love to have seen Martin pull it off. I think that last little wiggle cost him the .002 of a second to have had atleast a photo finish.

I never saw Harvich in the frame until the last .3 of a mile. He was like a rocket!

·
Registered
126 Posts
i also think that it was BS that they didnt yellow flag it when the cars started spinning. if they had followed the same standard that they had always done, Martin would have won. But no, nascar had to let them race back to the line, which they ruled was 'dangerous', a few years back. one thing that nascar lacks is consistancy.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Cut, I think the rule states that if a wreck happens in front of the leaders on the last lap, the caution flag would come out and the race would have ended under yellow. Unfortunatley for Martin, the wreck was behind him on the last lap.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Personally I think NASCAR is a joke and is not actually racing at all. It is motorsports entertainment, similar to professional wrestling. I am a dyed in the wool motor head and for the life of me cannot figure out how auto racing can take place where the sanctioning body (NASCAR) goes to incredible lenghts to keep all of the cars identical but will allow teams to supposedly significatnly alter a cars aerodynamics but putting some duct tape on the grille. Seriously, it's ridiculous. In reality if NASCAR wouldn't choke Toyota's technology they would unquestionably dominate the sport. Toyota competes in Formula One, where the epitome of automotive technology is displayed. Formula One teams have 500 million dollar annual budgets and NASCAR has duct tape. Get real, if you want to watch racing tune in to the Speed Channel on March 18th if you want to be entertained watch NASCAR or profesional wrestling.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"Yellow Flag- This flag is used to signal an accident, debris caused by contract or mechanical failure, or weather-related issues." from Nascar.com
Cutbait, im not trying to fight you on this, were both on the same side, im just quoting Nascar to show that they say one thing and do another.

IMHO, the yellow should have been waved at the first sight of the cars spinning. but oh well, there isnt a darn thing thats going to change it now, (minus a failed inspection).

and for the record, it doesnt really bother me that harvick won, i just would have liked Martin to win. my driver was taken out long before this last lap fiasco. Mark.

Chumlord, i agree with you in one aspect. Nascar is not real racing anymore, there are so many dang rules and regs, you cant do anything anymore. its nothing like the old days, Run what you Brung! its basically turning in to a 32 week IROC season, exact same cars, with different drivers.

·
Registered
263 Posts
NASCAR is getting too Politically Correct......Diversity Programs

'There's room for everyone"

I don't see the NBA seeking out White Players.

Safer Barriers, Hans Devices, Car of Tomorrow,Restrictor Plates.

F that s$%t..........get in the car and race, if you die you die........you got big money for it!!

There has not been a decent race since Ben Hur!!!!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
What the hell was up with that half hour long Kelly Clarkson show before the race started? I'm sure that she was at the top of the list of what every half drunk couch jockey rednneck wanted to see before the race. Would have been better off with a cheesy bar room skynrd cover band.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i used to be big in to also but will admit its not the same since d.e. died.. nascar is not consistent on who they want to penalize, some drivers get away with bumping, rubbing whatever, then will penalize another driver for doing the same... also how many 2 door fusions, camrys, or chargers are out on the road? the monte carlo is the only car that somewhat resembles the street car..

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
you on the right track memory maker, SR made a big impact when he died for sure but the single biggest factor of the turn around is when WINSTON left........

Lou had a few points too.....I just happen to have a NASCAR license- IF IF IF money grew on trees I woulda had a ride there too, in at least a BGN race on saturday.....I did just sell my old tater planter dirt car last month

my other 1/2 will NOT miss a single raw or smackdown match .....every monday & friday its WWE all the way.....i have several reason to watch wrestling.....Tori,Malena,Candice,....Ashley is on the cover of playboy - Gawd I love wrestling !!

besides that .........if you aint rubb'n you aint RACN

·
Registered
535 Posts
Don't get em wrong guys. NASCAR has faltered a lot in my opinion. Nothing stays the same but “Helton Inc.” has just about ruined it for me.

Anyone see the commercial with JR, and "home boy?" Just another attempt to broaden their audience in my opinion.

Back to the race. After sleeping on it, I think NASCAR was correct in not flying the yellow. If they had, NASCAR would have decided who won the race, not Harvick and Martin.

·
Registered
66 Posts
NA$CAR
After sleeping on it and then watching the replays, If the yellow had come out when the crash started Harvick was still ahead of Martin so either way Harvick (no I don't like him) wins.
So like it should be let the drivers decide.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've been a Martin fan forever...Harvick just plain and simple got some help with a huge run off the corner while Mark was trying to hold off anyone from the inside. Harvick's run was so hard it got Mark loose and that was all it took to win by 1/2 a hood length.

I don't like seeing the restristed cars either but those guys would have them going 300 mph by now if the didn't do something. Bill Elliot's team back in the coors day was the first to prove that!

·
Registered
297 Posts
:helpsmilie:

Help me, help me Tom Cruise, I'm on fire!

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
i also think that it was BS that they didnt yellow flag it when the cars started spinning. if they had followed the same standard that they had always done, Martin would have won. But no, nascar had to let them race back to the line, which they ruled was 'dangerous', a few years back. one thing that nascar lacks is consistancy.
Looks like you were right on the money.

:The Virginian-Pilot; :Feb 19, 2007; :Sports; :37

race reca

Martin could have raised a fuss, but didn't When should the final caution have come out?

BY ED HARDIN (GREENSBORO) NEWS & RECORD

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Kevin Harvick came as if fired by a cannon on a wild ride around Mark Martin in the final corner of the Daytona 500 to win in front of a spinning pack of cars. One was on fire as it slid across the finish line on its roof.

In one of the wildest scenes in the history of this race, Harvick blew across the line just ahead of Martin and against a backdrop of smoke and flame. The yellow flag flew after the green.

Controversy continued into the night as NASCAR struggled to explain why it didn't follow its own rules.

Harvick won the Daytona 500 when NASCAR allowed the field to race to checkers under green, a tradition thought outlawed after years of dangerous finishes. The carnage at the end came after three lead changes in the final seconds.

"It was the wildest thing I've been a part of in a long time,'' Harvick said.

Martin, the sentimental favorite who has never won this race, thought the caution should've flown as he and Harvick fought to the line. A crash behind the leaders began as they entered the short chute out of turn 4. A caution at the point of the crash would've frozen the field and given Martin the win.

He complained to his crew but didn't fight for it afterward.

"I was ahead when the crashing started,'' Martin said.

He seemed to have accepted his fate.

"Nobody wants to hear a grown man cry,'' Martin said. "I'm not going to cry about it. This is what it is, and that's it. That's the end. Their decision. They made the decision, and that's what we're going to live with.''

Martin is probably the only driver in the race who would've reacted this way. Given the opportunity to rage into the night and throw the 2007 Daytona 500 finish into controversial infamy, he chose to step aside graciously and allow Harvick to celebrate.

"It was the last lap of the Daytona 500,'' Harvick said. "We had to go.''

He blew past Kyle Busch in turn 3 after getting a push from Matt Kenseth at the end of the backstretch. The momentum pushed Harvick's yellow Chevy high into the banking

and alongside Martin, who seemed to be on his way to winning the race he's struggled with his entire career.

Martin could've pushed Harvick to the wall in the fourth turn. He could've turned him in the tri-oval. Instead, he seemed to wait for a push from Busch.

Busch dropped to the apron entering the chute coming out of 4, bobbled and slammed into Kenseth. Martin never lifted and moved back ahead of Harvick, who had nosed ahead in the seconds earlier.

"I thought I would get the push from Busch,'' Martin said. "I didn't know he wasn't there anymore.''

Busch disappeared in the smoke just as Harvick pulled alongside Martin in the tri-oval. They both waited for the flagman, who leaned over the track and dropped the checkered with the flaming Chevy of Clint Bowyer tumbling into the infield.

At that moment, the outcome was in the hands of NASCAR. The message from the control center above the track to the flagman came as the cars reached the line.

"Put it out,'' David Hoots, NASCAR's race director, radioed down.

The yellow flag flew after Harvick passed under the flag stand.

"When the 07 (Bowyer) went sideways on the track, the yellow came out,'' NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said afterward. "At that point, the 29 (Harvick) was ahead of the 01 (Martin) and declared the winner.''

That was a good explanation and all, except that's not what happened. Bowyer was upside down before the leaders took the checkered flag. The caution was thrown after that, technically, and, according to NASCAR's own rules, after the race ended. The fact that there was an official margin of victory (.020 seconds) proves it. There is no margin of victory in a race that ends under caution. And since no caution flew before the end, NASCAR had no official account of the crash. In effect, it never happened. The initial race results showed that all the cars involved were running at the end.

Harvick will apparently go down in history as the winner of the 49th Daytona 500 in part because NASCAR didn't follow its own rules and because Martin didn't want to cause any more controversy.

At the end of a controversial week, Harvick went from sixth to first on the final lap to leave a field of fuming drivers behind a wall of smoke and NASCAR behind a wall of deceit.

It simply didn't end the way NASCAR saw it. But the only man who should've been screaming into the night was fine with second place. NASCAR saves its biggest embarrassment for last .

Dennis:))

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
its also been stated 1000 times for the last 2 years .........they get ONE TRY at green,white,checker......if the stick man had dropped ANOTHER yellow it would have been the Daytona 505 instead of the already 202 laps that it was already......they had the ONE TRY at it....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mike Hitler...I mean Helton?????

Nascar is so full of it, but they have always done business how they choose at that moment in time. If the rule to throw yellows immediately is for the safety of ALL competitors let's forget about Mark and Kevin and talk about scoring and placing of the whole field. Once again I am completely stumped why none of the drivers will stand up and cry FOUL. There are plenty of teams who lost thousand of dollars because they did not end the race IAW the rules as they stand this hour of this day.....who knows what they'll change tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts