Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An effort is going on to inform people about the proposal to get people to program thier cell phone with an emergency contact in case the person is disabled from an accident or any other reason. The word "ICE" would be the contact. Then insert the number of whomever is to be contacted in case you are in an emergency. When emergency personell attempt to find a contact in someone's cell they have no idea who to call. This simple task could make that job much simpler for your emergency people. This was told to me by a fire department officer from Maryland. He's hoping this will catch on throughout the country.
I did it. I have friend's and family that are doing it. I think it's a darn good idea.
Bob

·
Registered
290 Posts
ICE

WHY ICE? why not cpr or hlp or ico or emr or 911. how do you remember ICE in an emergency? im getting a phone because im starting to spend time alone on the bay. If you find me disabled on my boat feel free to dial 911 on my phone.thanks in advance. john

·
Registered
438 Posts
Did this a while back, freind of mine is in howard county ems and they are trying to get the word out. It's a simple thing to do and makes there job a little easier when trying to make contact with your family.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Good idea

I was thinking about that the other day. Makes alot of sense. I am going to make sure my family knows about it. Rich

·
Registered
83 Posts
John,
I think you missed the point.....it is for the EMS personnel to contact your next of kin or whatever if you are ever in an accident or disabled, are alone and are unable to tell them who you want called. It is basically to be used after and emergency.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
This is a great idea and I'm all for it. One problem I see is that lot's of people "lock" thier phones with a password thereby making it impossible for someone else to use it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
good pt Grady, our company requires that our phones/bberry lock up after 45 mins of use... They can dial 911 usually and these guys should also program a home of spouse cell for emergancy, we can do that in ours.

This is not a shameless plug or ad, but for those that go offshore or even on the bay in spotty places you should look the the SPOT device. I have one and it is starting to gathere momentium but not enough people know about it.

You hit a button and it alerts anyone you want by text, or email. You can get them at cosco now for $100!!! It is sat based so it can be used almost anywhere. Small and can be kept on a belt. So if you have one and get hurt the EMT pushes help button which then sends messages to all the key people they will know to call the cell phone of at tleast that something has happened. It is a low cost device and a cheap insurance policy for anyone that goes offshore or is in tough places on the bay:jackthread:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Some of the newer phones are now adding an "In Case of Emergency" contact to their phones. It pops up right at the top of your "contact" list. I've had several ocassions to use a person's contact list in their cell phone during my police career to contact family members or to track down the owner of a recovered phone. It's an excellent idea and something that should get national media attention. Cell phone companies are reluctant to give out any info without a court order. On one ocassion we caught a couple of guys breaking into cars at a Park n Ride and recovered several cell phones from them. I used the contact list in the phones to track down the owners so we could proceed with charging them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts