Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a recent thread regarding the possibility that Marina Shores may build condos/apartments where the dry storage facility now stands.

This is the thread: http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196449&highlight=marina+shores

There is an article in today's Virginian-Pilot regarding this matter.

Beach marina developer wants to go residential
By DEIRDRE FERNANDES, The Virginian-Pilot
© February 27, 2007

VIRGINIA BEACH - The Marina at Marina Shores, which opened to great fanfare in 1991 and was lauded as one of the most modern facilities on the East Coast, may soon be history.

Gale Higgs, who owns the marina off Great Neck Road, has submitted plans to the city to build 332 apartments on the 9.2 acres.

Higgs wants to tear down the two restaurants on the property and a storage building that houses about 400 boats. The 190 wet-boat slips would remain.

"I'm actually pretty excited about it," Higgs said. "I think it's a major improvement."

The storage building, however, needs significant and costly renovations to fit the newer boats, which are longer and wider, Higgs said.

"It's a crossroads," she said.

"It was time to go with either an extreme contemporary marina or go to residential."

Higgs said she has been considering the marina's future for three years.

In 2000, Higgs proposed expanding the marina but withdrew her application after opposition from neighbors and City Council members.

The residential proposal needs approval from the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area Board, the city Planning Commission and the City Council.

Some neighbors are already sending out warning signals.

Harry Biela, vice president of the nearby Long Creek Cove condominium association, said he is worried about construction trucks driving through the neighborhood and the increase in traffic that the apartments would bring.

Motorists heading to the marina and restaurants pass through his neighborhood now, but the apartments likely would bring more constant traffic during rush hours, Biela said.

"Right now, there's a boater here and a boater there, and occasionally if there's a party, there's traffic," he said.

"But we all bought the houses with the marina there. It was a situation that was already there."

According to the developer's traffic study, the apartments would mean fewer cars on local roads.

The city has not completed its own traffic analysis, said Karen Prochilo, a city planner.

City officials also have questions about how the public would access the wet slips through the apartment complex and what effect the project would have on the Chesapeake Bay, Prochilo said.

The proposal may change. Higgs said she isn't sure whether the homes will be all rentals or if there may be condominiums mixed in.

Higgs and her late husband, David Levine, fought regulatory agencies and negotiated with civic leagues for more than 10 years to build the $12 million marina, part of a plan for residential and commercial development at Great Neck Road and Lynnhaven Drive.

Reach Deirdre Fernandes at (757) 222-5121 or [email protected]

Dennis:))

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
You sure cant hide that money !! My boat was there for 2 years....sure was nice to just call up and it would be in the water when I got there, come back and just tie it up and the kids would put it away. man what a forklift they have !! .....but for 246 bucks a months I'll keep it on the trailor at home now.

·
Registered
877 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, of course she will leave the wet slips, they will go to the new condo owners, bet everyone there now will get the boot eventually.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I went to the City Council Chambers for the hearing regarding the matter yesterday and it was delayed. However, they did have a site plan and wet slips were not on the site plan. They did have condos all along the water front starting at the Dry storage and ending down towards J dock. I would think they would keep the wet slips and sell them with the condos. And if they did keep them, access and parking would become an issue. Im just wondering what time frame this will all take place. Anybody's guess. I know of several people already planning on moving their boat this year.

·
Registered
610 Posts
looks like the city needs to find more parking spaces at the ramp

toby

·
Registered
185 Posts
With this happening, and the lack of spaces at the Crab Creek ramp, I'm just thankful that I am USN Retired and can use the facilities at Little Creek and NOB.

Everybody wants the $$$$$! Willoughby Marina, and now this!!! Screw the boaters, no money in marinas. Build condos, sell them along with the wet slips.

IMO, buying a condo is like getting a deed for a unit in an apartment complex. I like my house.

FredHead
Sea Fox 230WA
Just Relaxin'

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cant blame the owners for wanting to profit. COndos may not be the answer as that market looks like it may be getting a little overbuilt but any business I have i want to maximize the profit, so if that route is best for them good luck

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
freadhead said : "IMO, buying a condo is like getting a deed for a unit in an apartment complex. I like my house. "

Condos can be a great investment if you know what you are doing, both financially and in quality of life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a developer I do not blame a property owner for achieving the most profitable use for the land they own. I however do blame the planning commision,city council,and the department of economic development for not recognizing the amount of money boat owners and the recreational fishing community pump into the local economy.Think about it bait, slip rent, lodging, ice, fuel, food, repairs, and tackle.It equals big money just try to add it up. At the very least 400 dry storage boats will be looking for a home Willoughby is gone, Taylors is 95% full and Lynhaven has about 75 racks left. As far as wet slips go Willoughby is about full Little Creekat about 98% , Long Bay Point at 90%, Rudee 97%, and Marina shores 190 slips will at least disappear during 2 to 3 years of construction. bottom line is not how much is the boat but where can you put it, just like South Florida

·
Registered
604 Posts
37hatterascal,
With only one post, it seems I know you from somewhere!! You certainly are preaching to the choir!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The property north of and adjacent to the Owls Creek Boat Ramp is owned by Wayne McLeskey, who also owns the VB Fishing Center, and Southside Marina located just outside the bridge, and a few other parcels inside and outside the bridge.

The parcel located due north from the OC Boat Ramp, on the other side of the VB Dredge Operations, is now owned by Mike Sifen.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The property north of and adjacent to the Owls Creek Boat Ramp is owned by Wayne McLeskey, who also owns the VB Fishing Center, and Southside Marina located just outside the bridge, and a few other parcels inside and outside the bridge.

The parcel located due north from the OC Boat Ramp, on the other side of the VB Dredge Operations, is now owned by Mike Sifen.
I thought the city bought the land next to the ramp all the way to the museum.

Shows ya how much I know.:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
I thought he owned it.

That property would make a nice marina though.

Other than that piece of property, I don't see any oher place for a marina development in VB.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mike Sifen's piece is the ONLY site inside Rudee where a large public boat ramp operation can be built. The long range plan (sooner than you think) for the Marine Science Museum is to expand onto the Owls Creek boat ramp land. I did a marina master plan on Sifen's property for the previous owner & applied for permits, but then it died for several reasons. I don't know what Sifen's plans are.

The only other location in VB for a major marina is OUTSIDE the Lesner Bridge. I also have a master plan for that, done on my own time - I call it Langley's Lair!

And speaking of the Lesner Bridge area, I was told last week the city wants to construct a dredge material transfer facility at Crab Creek! I don't know how, but they plan to bring barges full of dredge material from the Lynnhaven River, Broad Bay & Linkhorn Bay, and then transfer them to trucks on site, and the trucks will carry it to the landfill, or whereever. I offered the city my opinion that they lost their minds!

Just my $0.02

Tom

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
When we bought our Islander five years ago, we felt fortunate to get affordable dry storage at Little Creek. Six months later, after adding a hard top, we went wet and still liked "C" dock at Little Creek.

But saw the handwriting on the wall with the development of East Beach, and don't think the long-term future of Pretty Lake Avenue includes most of the current occupants of the north side of the creek.

That played a large part in our purchase at Harbor Walk. We were the first residents here - bought the smallest unit available (1,880 sq.ft.) and the largest boat slip (17x35). Yes, it's a condo, but we own our slip, it's a three-minute stroll from the unit to the boat, and ten minutes in the no-wake zone then out the inlet to go fishing...

Brian

·
Registered
138 Posts
The only other location in VB for a major marina is OUTSIDE the Lesner Bridge. I also have a master plan for that, done on my own time - I call it Langley's Lair!

Tom[/QUOTE]

Please tell me more.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts