Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Taste like chicken. Cut up into nuggets, deep fried and served with a 12 pack of cold milwakees best.

Capt_Ben

·
Registered
314 Posts
watched a friend do battle with one that ate a butterfis. basically--was dumping his 50W as he could do nothing but watch--he was anchored. the fish breached a few times & broke off.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Snagged one about 2 years ago out of Oregon Inlet. Fish went deep and thought I had a MONSTER Tuna....had to put the harness on. was like pulling up a 150 pound piece of plywood sideways....that is one ugly fish close up to the boat....got the h ook out of his back and sent him on his way......

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hooked up on one just east of Ches. Light by accident in Spring '05 while spade fishing.
Pulled like a freight train as it glided along. Worked it for about 5 mins, but the 100# braid was no match for it's skin; similar to a shark I believe.
No real food value according to the fishing literature I've read as well.
As stated above, they grow to enormous sizes, and have been known to get caught in the intakes of large ocean-going vessels.
Evan.

Fishing from the GW 330 Express DAWGONIT

·
Registered
143 Posts
About two years ago out of Chinco we heard a charter Captain talking on the radio, he said they snagged one while trolling. He said it was a big one and the fish went nuts dumping an offshore real and clearing the water, then the snag pulled loose. He ended up going on and on about how the fish went crazy and was dumping an offshore real like nothing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I snag a big one last year, just west of the fingures....i was on a boat that had a 12ft beam and this thing was wider then the beam... had three guys trying to pull it on to the boat... it was just too big... ended up just cutting it loose..

·
Registered
299 Posts
They are one of the oldest things in the ocean. I think they kind of look smart, like an elephant does. They almost look like they are from another planet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
snagged a big mola in cape cod bay trolling for bluefin tuna

snagged a 800lb mola mola with giant yozuri trolling for bluefin. Had to back boat down on it to cut lure from top of mola's back
I have seen mola over 2000lbs in the fingers and dump south of nomans many times/dont hit one at speed since its sure to wreck your prop and rudder

·
Registered
180 Posts
We snagged one two years ago off OC chunking for Blufin. On for all of 30 sec. Broke off That fish was at least 250 lbs.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
They jump when hooked, damndest thing. They fight hard when hooked by the mouth, i can attest to that. A snagged one didn't fight nearly as hard, just a giant PITA

have hooked 2 while chunking, one on a chunk, one on a whole butter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts