Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the muzzleloader season

Went to SW Oklahoma at the end of October for the muzzleloader season. We had a great time and killed some nice deer. I also was able to kill one sow. The sow had a terrible wound between her hams. It looked like a boar had sliced her up really bad. The wound was about the size of a dinner plate and went all the way to the bone. I shot the sow right at last light in some really thick canes. I did not see the wound until after I had field dressed her and loaded her up on the truck. What a tough animal, I can't imagine the pain from a wound like that.

Also on the trip, my 11 year old nephew took his first buck!! This friday we are headed back to Oklahoma for the rifle season.

Sow

You can see the wound between the hams

My brother with his deer.

My nephew Jake with his first buck

Our racks from the week

From the rifle season
What a great week!! Started off Saturday morning with my 11 year old Nephew, Jacob, taking his first buck with a rifle, a 5 point. Then Saturday night my friend, Mark, connected with this fantastic boar.

Sunday morning my 14 year old daughter, Brittany, took this big doe. Her first deer. We were sitting on a hill side in some tall grass overlooking our tree row. We were 125 yards off to the east of the trees. We had several young does and a small buck come by. Then this big doe came by and I ranged it at 108 yards. Brittany clicked the safety off on her .223 WSSM and sent a bullet thru the does rib cage. I watched the doe go about 30 yards and drop dead. Sure made me a proud dad that morning. The doe field dressed at 98lbs

Tuesday evening was my turn. I was sitting on the edge of the river when at 5:05 pm a nice buck stepped into the water and sucked in a big drink water. I quickly shot the range finder at him and get a reading of 211 yards. I get on him quickly with my .338 win mag as he is moving quick across the river. I grunted loudly to try to stop him. He was moving with his head and neck stuck straight out I aimed at his neck trying to lead him since he was moving. As soon as I pulled the trigger he must have stopped. I heard a solid impact as the 200 grain NBT struck. The buck jumped about 7-8 feet in the air straight up and then made a dash for land.

I felt like I had a made a solid hit on him, but I waited about about 10 minutes before I went to look for the blood trail. Went to were the buck had come up the bank and found a very heavy blood trail. My father had heared the shot and came to help me find the buck. We followed the blood trail for about 70 yards and found him dead. The buck field dressed 168lbs and has 9 points.

My father and I

On Friday night my father and I hunted together. He had to catch his flight home the next morning. We sat on the edge of the river under some cottonwood trees. We could see 670 yards up river and 240 yards down river. At 5pm a doe crossed the river up stream from us at 219 yards. I told my Dad to get ready that maybe a buck would be following her. Sure enough as soon as the doe got across the river, the buck showed up walking our way in the middle of the river. I told my dad to shot him as soon as he turned broad side.

The buck turned and my father squezzed off the trigger on his Benelli R1 in 300WSM. The buck dropped right in his tracks and didn't even twitch. The bullet had struck him right in the heart. Last year my father killed his first deer a doe, and this was his first buck. The buck had a hole in main beam and had several broken tines. He field dressed at 156 lb.

Saturday night my brother and I went for our last hunt together. I had to start the drive back home on Sunday. We sat close to the spot that I had killed the buck earlier in the week. It was very windy and our confidence was pretty low of seeing game in the high wind. As soon as the sun dipped below the horizon the wind died and we started to see the deer crossing down river from us. About 5 minutes before the end of legal shooting hours I see pigs crossing 125 yards down river from.

My brother was hunting with my .338 win mag and I had my .450 Bushmaster. I pointed out the pigs to my brother, who quickly fired at a hog in the middle of the river dropping right in its track. I opened up with my .450 bushy striking a hog on the other bank. Another pig came running back across the river about 60 yards down river and my brother fired striking the hog pretty far back. The hog crossed the river and head in to the canes. I ran across the river after it. Caught up to the hog in the canes, it turned and came charging at me. I fired the bushmaster from the hip and dropped it right in front of me. What a great ending to the week.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sweet ! ! ! great pictures. Im sure you had a wonderful time.. Good luck this next trip... The deer are some nice looking animals, and those are some sweet hogs also.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Looks like some dream hunting Greg. Awesome pics, I'm jealous!!!:clapping2:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a nice buck. In all the years I have hunted and fished and of all the different game I have harvested through out the world. This doe, my daughter harvested was the best trophy of them all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great Comb Hunt

What is the contact information/website for that place you hunted. Would you hunt that location again? Please post as much info about location it looks like a place I would like to go. If you want contact me by phone 757 650-9920 (Tony).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how much do those hogs weigh?? lots of meat congrats
I did not weigh any of the hogs this time. But, I have weighed some in the past so the boar in the picture I would estimate to be 220-250 field dressed and the large sow to be in the low 200's. The red sow about 140-160lbs. The hogs raid a lot of cropland, peanuts, wheat, milo, and haygrazer. They are well feed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is the contact information/website for that place you hunted. Would you hunt that location again? Please post as much info about location it looks like a place I would like to go. If you want contact me by phone 757 650-9920 (Tony).
It is my land and my cousins land. All DIY hunting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts