Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several people telling me I was an ideal candidate for a smatphone / pda,and my old cell giving up the ghost, I decided to finally take the jump.

After a little research I had kind of set my mind on a Blackberry. After going to the Verizon Store and spending some time with a very helpful sales assoc. I was convinced I needed a Windows Mobile Phone.

Ended up getting a Samsumg Omnia 910I, and quite honestly I love the concept of the phone and all it does. It has been great basically having access to my office computer wherever I am. That said, the thing has more glitches than any device I have ever had. Several times most days after a prolonged period of silence I will realize the the phone has shut down. Sometimes I have to remove the battery to get it rebooted. I have a recurring software conflict with the synch program, and no added software on the phone.

It is not the most reliable device. I realize this is a brand new model and that there will likely be firmware updates to fix the minor problems.

That said...what smartphone do you guys live by? If Blackberry, can you handle MS Office Docs with it?

IF you read this far...Thanks,

Lance

· Registered
1,329 Posts
I have a Samsung i730 (I call it "the phone of tomorrow of yesterday") and get lockups like you describe pretty regularly - maybe once a day. It's running WM5, which is as far as they'll support on this now-antiquated device.

I paid $65 for mine off eBay. I may take the leap and get one that's less brick-like. Thanks for your review. I like the Dare, but it doesn't have WiFi.

· Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 910I, I910 (Whichever) is running WM 6.1. I don't think there is anything that it can't do. The touch screen took a day or so to get aquainted with, but once you get it you won;t wont to go back.

Now if the dang thing would just be reliable I would actually love it.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
I have the Blackberry Curve. The email integration on BB is undeniably the best on the market and I email for business practically 24/7. I have Word and Excel on it and can easily view, manipulate, and email those documents, which is all I want to do on a mobile device. It also manages pdf's and jpg's really well and syncs with my Outlook easily. The web browser is also fast and easy to use and the camera is a nice. My previous 8830 started locking up on me somewhat regularly, so Sprint upgraded me to the Curve at no charge.

Two years ago, we switched to Treo's for the company, and we returned them all for Blackberries within ten days. I've beeen using Blackberry for about 5 years and wouldn't even consider anything else. Like I said before, no one can match the efficiceny and ease of use in regards to email.

· Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very usefull info martin, thanks. Thats what I set out to do initially, but was steered away from Blackberry by the Verizon staff. Now if the Blackberry can handle outlook, word, excel, and pdf's, that's about all I need. Looks like I'll be back at the Verizon Store either way because I can't tolerate finding out that my phone has been off for an hour while I thought I was in touch...

· Registered
680 Posts
BlackBerry Curve here as well.

I sync to Outlook religiously. Allows me to respond to my customers e-mail when I'm out of the office.

I figured out a work-around to get e-mail sent from BlackBerry to go to the appropriate place in my Outlook account by a combination or phone tricks and Outlook filter settings.

I can read PDF, and MS Word, MS Excel documents but pretty small text for me. The camera is pretty good - some photos posted here were take using my phone.

I am always plugged into the web (TidalFish, Weather Radar, etc).

Don't think I can live without it anymore.

· Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,174 Posts
This is very helpful for me. I cannot bring a mobile device into work but I can retire this year and want to make the same leap. I have Verizon and my 2 years is up. Is there any advantage to getting the new 3G Storm vs. the Curve or the new Bold? Jim

· Registered
680 Posts
I looked at the Storm. The touchscreen will take some getting used to as there is no tactile feedback from a key to your fingertips.

A lot of women with long fingernails cant uses a touchscreen. You can't use a fingernail to make an entry on a touchscreen.

I use the tip of my thumb and thumbnail for punching Curve keys.

My 0.02

· Registered
2,226 Posts
I have had a Samsung BlackJack II for the last 9 months, and it is a pretty impressive device. Like the BB Curve, it has Word, Excel, pdf capabilities, active sync to email (both web based (yahoo, hotmail, etc.) and outlook), a solid web browser (although if there is one thing I would suggest that Samsung work on, it would be this... it can be a little hard to navigate with the scroll wheel), and it also has a 2mpxl camera built in, and accepts mini SD memory cards for storing photos, and documents. I can also tether this device to my laptop and have access to the internet anywhere I have cell service. All in all, I am quite pleased with this phone...

· Registered
3,587 Posts
Used a TREO for many years...the first one sucked. Constantly needing to be re-booted as you mentioned. It died (luckily for me) and was replaced by a newer TREO that worked pretty darn well...overall I liked it. I dropped it once too many and destroyed the LCD screen. By that time, my company moved to Blackberry and it has worked nearly flawlessly from the beginning. It takes some getting used to after using a TREO all those years but overall, it is much more reliable and e-mail set up is easy. I can read all types of doc's with it no problem. There are also a lot of app downloads available for them

Best of luck

Glenn

· Registered
680 Posts
Question is does it take good pictures so can keep me up to date?
They are both great phones. The iPhone is bigger and heavier than the BlackBerry Curve. Just make sure you get 3G version of the iPhone.

BlackBerry shot -

Maybe the iPhone will make the fish look bigger?

Attachments

· Registered
274 Posts
My Blackberry Curve has a 2 MP camera. As you can see from Chip's phone, they take great pictures ... as long as you keep the lens clean. Each phone provider AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, ect ... seems to have a slightly different variations of Blackberry models. Not sure about the others, but the AT&T Curve even has a nice flash built into the camera function.

Tight Lines

· Registered
2,996 Posts
Blackberry Pearl 8120 on AT&T International service.

No problems and the International service has proven to be pretty reliable in Canada, Germany, Japan, Korea and the UK so far.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.