Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the flats but up in the river, can herring be caught in the river and kept as bait and if so what #'s can you keep and is it hook and line or can a cast net be used. I remember this topic a few years ago but my memory sucks. Thanks in advance. JP

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
John, you can use Herring for bait in the Susquehanna, while fishing for Stripers. During the C & R season, you cannot fish above Lapidum boat ramp, across to Tomes landing.

You can throw a cast net or use a dip net. :yes: There is no limit on the amount you can catch.

There is some limitation, but I don't know what it is about using a dip net above Deer Creek, but all regulations, regarding dipping for Herring are in your guide book that you receive with your license.:confused:

Hope this helps.

Ele

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
JP, you can keep herring in the river either by hook and line or nets. They dip them all the time. Just don't use them for bait above the line marking the limits of the catch and release from Lapidum to Port. Don't think there is any number limit on them either.

If you are still interested in a shad trip let me know and I will pmail you when they get going good.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ele and Jerry - thanks for the input. I guess the question mark for me was dipping in and around the Deer Creek area, I thought it wasn't allowed but wasn't sure. I hope to try some creeks near HDG or possibly at the Mill.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerry - I am looking forward to a few shad trips, haven't done it in a few years. I know they are getting some at Deer Creek but its not red hot yet, if you hear something I'd appreciate a heads up, I'll do the same as some co-workers live in the area and try the creeks weekly

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
John, that's what I wasn't sure about. Dipping around Deer Creek. Check the rules before doing it.

Ele

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ele - I'll have to get a book, they never have them at the very end of the year when I get my new one, I know the house at the Mill is lived in by a DNR person so I guess I could always knock on the door.:clap:

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Husky - thanks again, I'm thinking real hard about heading up there tomorrow to try my luck.

·
Registered
216 Posts
In non-tidal waters, except as provided for in law section 4-620, persons may not use or attempt to use a &#8230;net, seine, fish pot or other fishing rig (4-619).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
In non-tidal waters, non-residents may not fish with nets of any description (4-618). Landing nets are excluded from this prohibition. <o:p></o:p>
In nontidal waters, an individual can use a seine or dip net, that is 4 X 6 or less, to catch bait fish (4-620). <o:p></o:p>
Dip nets may be used in nontidal waters in Allegheny and Washington counties and the Monocacy and Potomac Rivers in Carroll and Frederick Counties (4-620). <o:p></o:p>
Dip nets may not be used in the Susquehanna upstream of Deer Creek (08.02.05.01).<o:p></o:p>
Dip nets may not be used within 50 yards of the mouth of any river or tributary or the base of a dam (4-620). <o:p></o:p>
Dip nets may not be used in any waters of the states that are stocked with trout (4-620).<o:p></o:p>
Dip nets may not be used to fish for trout, walleye, striped bass, northern pike, black bass or musky. <o:p></o:p>
Nets, other than a landing net, cannot be used in Deer Creek. (08.02.11.08)<o:p></o:p>
An individual can only use hook and line to take herring, white shad and hickory shad in non-tidal waters (4-617). <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me directly.<o:p></o:p>
Sincerely,<o:p></o:p>
Dianne Samuels<o:p></o:p>
MD Dept of Natural Resources<o:p></o:p>
Fisheries Service B-2<o:p></o:p>
580 Taylor Ave<o:p></o:p>
Annapolis MD 21401<o:p></o:p>
(410) 260-8273<o:p></o:p>
[email protected]<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cast nets. I heard you must be a MD resident to throw a net in Md waters.
That sucks. I would let the md guys cast a net in DE. lol
Herbs had all i needed on monday for $2.00/herring.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frog Hair - thanks for that info., looks like the bridge at the Mill would be off limits, sure glad I asked.

I've gotten them on darts below the dam but never anywhere else, I thought I was told years ago that they will hit real sm. gold colored plain hooks.????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts