Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Yankee is looking at moving down to the tidewater area soon and I seen that trailers hauling the weight of my boat & trailer would require brake inspection in Va. My question is does it matter whether the brakes are surge brakes or are Electronic brakes acceptable?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
114 Posts
"I have a small trailer and I would like to know if it is required to be inspected."
It depends. If the "actual gross weight" is 3,000 pounds or more, it is required to have brakes and is required to be inspected. (The "actual gross weight" is the weight of the trailer plus the weight of any load that the trailer is carrying.) If the "actual gross weight" is less than 3,000 pounds, it is not required to be inspected; however, any trailer under 3,000 that is equipped with brakes is also required to be inspected.
being a state inspector i thought id give you the facts.. and no, either brake system is fine..

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
This Yankee is looking at moving down to the tidewater area soon and I seen that trailers hauling the weight of my boat & trailer would require brake inspection in Va. My question is does it matter whether the brakes are surge brakes or are Electronic brakes acceptable?

Thanks in advance
Tech,

Here is the Va web site with the requirements;

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv109.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts