Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this last year and got a lot of great recipes from fellow TF'rs. (cutbait 2005, you out there?)

I printed them all out but I can not find them. So here I am again asking for your favorite venison recipes.

My neighbor gave me 2 nice tenderloins yesterday. I am thinking about putting one on the grill today or maybe in the crock pot.

How do you folks like to prepare and cook your venison.

Thanks,

Dennis:)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am here Dennis.

Happy New Year!

Since most loins are tender I prefer to 1) flour and fry them with onions (sometimes add gravy) or 2) Marinate them in Teriaky (sp) sause an hour or so and cook on tin foil on grill.

Will not hurt to add onions and green peppers to number 2.

Quarters and such, I cook in crockpot 6 hours on low heat. I add Au Jus gravy mix in one cup of water and onions to crockpot as well

Cut.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am here Dennis.

Happy New Year!

Since most loins are tender I prefer to 1) flour and fry them with onions (sometimes add gravy) or 2) Marinate them in Teriaky (sp) sause an hour or so and cook on tin foil on grill.

Will not hurt to add onions and green peppers to number 2.

Quarters and such, I cook in crockpot 6 hours on low heat. I add Au Jus gravy mix in one cup of water and onions to crockpot as well

Cut.
Thanks cutbait,

Happy New Year.
I used you crock pot recipe last year. I just could not remember what gravy mix to toss in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
venison recipe

Here is my favorite:
Combine 1 stick of butter,Juice from 1/2 a lemon,and3 table spoons of worchectersauce.Season with a little garlic powder.
While mixture still liquid pour over loin and refrigerate 2-6 hours.turn once.
Then remover loin from marinade [smear congeled mixture over loin and wrap in bacon [secure with toothpicks]
Place loin on hot charcoal gril for 8 min per side [for mid rare] ...let rest 5-10 min
slice diagonally fairly thin ...serve with horseradish sauce ie 1/2 sour cream ,1/2 mayo, with horseradish to taste
I remover and aside the bacon ...but it usually gets eaten too

·
Registered
38 Posts
For tenderloin- Just roll it in a mix of coarse salt, red pepper flakes and fine chopped garlic (jarlick) and bake it at 350 until its as done as you want it.

I also like to do a chilli with Venison, but use white beans and pumpkin or Butternut squash and easy on the tomatoes. The earthy meat flavor and sweetness of the pumkin is a great mix. Do it in a crook pot but throw the softer stuff in later so that meat is tender, but beans and other stuff still have a little texture.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just cooked up some Mule deer chops the other day.

I wrapped them with bacon, brushed barbcue sauce over the tops, put them in a glass

dish on 350 for 45 minuites and dang thay came out Nice, very tasty and moist!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Deep Fried Tenderloin

Went to my dad's for Xmas dinner, and he put some tenderloins in the deep fryer. heat the oil to 350, and cook the tenderloins for about 1 minute a pound. Awesome, and sooo easy!

Cheers,
Walt

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Easy and Quick One

Dennis - here is my favorite one - and very easy. We had an off season and I donated my first two to Hunters for the Hungry and since our neighbors ran their dogs thru we had a lackluster eand of season. And I don't have any to cook!!

Cut a couple of one inch pieces and put nothing on them. Get your black frying pan and put some olive oil in the bottom of it and get it hot. Sear them for two minutes a side and blacken the outside - 6 minutes is medium rare, 8 medium. Take them off the pan and drop a few capers on them and they are done. Do this with fresh unfrozen venison only and it's great.

You didn't ask but deep frying a fresh killed wild turkey in peanut oil for 45 - 50 minutes is awesome too - did one last week with my brother in law and it was to die for. Guys in my hunt club were eating the bones the next day and smacking their lips on the carcass.

Feeshon Aboard the Jezebel II

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Day 1
Take a back strap and cover with your favorite dry rub and sprinkle a little worcestishire and soy on it JUST ENOUGH TO MAKE IT WET. Wrap in plastic and then in aluminum foil. Refrigerate overnight.

Day 2
Cook on medium heat on grill until 160* degrees inside. Take off and immediately wrap in foil and put back in refrigerator.

Day 3
Take meat out and slice as thin as you can. Place is glass bowl covered with plastic wrap and reheat in Microwave (YES MICROWAVE!!!!!) Add cheese, lettuce, tomato and a fresh roll and make room for seconds.

Best "Pit Beef" around.

If you don't like that, take a back loin and make chicken fried steak with homemade mashed potatoes. TRUE COMFORT FOOD.

Slice the backstrap 1/4" thick and then pound it out thin. Take some flour and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, all to taste.

Coat meat with flour mixure and then dip in beaten eggs then roll in seasoned bread crumbs. Fry until golden brown on medium heat. Only fry on each side until blood starts to run out.

Add mashed potatoes and country gravy and make room for thirds.

GUARENTEED to please even the pickiest eaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

·
Registered
365 Posts
Deer Cheese Steaks

Slice those back straps as thin as you can. Saute some onions in a cast iron pan when they are done throw in your thin slice steak. Cook for about 1 minute per side. Mix around in the pan and add some cheese. Put on an Amoroso role and look out best steak sandwich you will ever eat.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Amoroso Roll !!!

You must be a real Philly ( or south Jersey boy ). The southerners on this board have no idea what an Amoroso roll is. Interestingly, there are Wawa's popping up in tidewater and Richmond. They have Tastykake's, but no Amoroso's.

Dave
Homesick ( for food anyway ) paisan

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You must be a real Philly ( or south Jersey boy ). The southerners on this board have no idea what an Amoroso roll is. Interestingly, there are Wawa's popping up in tidewater and Richmond. They have Tastykake's, but no Amoroso's.

Dave
Homesick ( for food anyway ) paisan
:)

Thanks again for all the recipes. I am going to have to bring my neighbor some more fish so I can get some more venison from him as I don't have enough it try all of the above. I am going to print this out and keep it on hand.

Incidentally, the reason for my double post is that I had also posted this request on the Virginia board and Brandon moved that post to this board.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I sliced up 14 pounds of hindquarter this year just to make steak sandwiches.

They're awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
For Tenderloins/Back straps -
- Melt 3 tbs butter in sauce pan and add 1/4 cup of chopped sweet onions over med heat until onions are golden brown
- Add 3/4 cup of beef broth, 2 tbs of red wine and simmer until reduce stock by half
- Cut steaks 1 inch thick and coat with fresh coarse ground pepper
- Melt 3 tbs butter in to skillet and cook steaks over med heat, DON'T over cook med rare at most.
- Set steaks in warming rack and allow skillet to cool slightly than add 1/4 cup of Grand Monier and ignite with flame (use devise so that your hand is not over the skillet) burn-off alcohol
- Add onion,wine & beef broth stock to skillet and bring to a boil, with med heat & stirring.

Slice down steaks and pour sauce over slices.

By far the most frequently requested recipe by my daughter, son & wife

1 - 15 of 15 Posts