Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
You Might Want To Consider Adding A Suzuki To The Equasion, They Are Awesome Motors.

What Type, Size, Year Boat Are You Putting It On?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
435 Posts
eTec = Old Tec?

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the first thing about what makes a good engine. I have to rely on what I see, hear and folks that I trust.

That said... I was really turned on by the infomercial style ads for Evenrude eTec engines. I got to thinking that when it comes time to repower I'll definitely consider eTec if they're lighter, more powerful and more fuel efficient.

Then... I went to three separate boat shows and was interested to find that there wasn't a single eTec engine at any of the shows. When I asked dealers why they all said just about the same thing. eTec is 70's technology repackaged for today. Everyone scoffed at the idea of a 2-stroke engine being a better option than the current 4-strokes.

I'm sure that everyone has their opinions for a lot of different reasons but I thought that I'd see someone selling the Evenrudes at at least one of the boat shows but they just weren't represented.

Curious...

·
Registered
6 Posts
This subject has come up on the board before. Type "E-tec" into the Search function and you can read all the past discussions.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Snailman== Go Etec!! The weight difference alone is a decider for most hulls. Then there's the maintainance cost diff which is huge. The reason so many boats you saw at the shows were Mercury powered is that Brunswick Corp. (Mercs parent co,) owns these boat brands and puts Mercury engines on them at factory. Evinrude's parent co., BRP, does not own any boat brands, so the Etecs you may see around are on those boats because the builder or owner WANTED them there.:thumbup:

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
435 Posts
Thanks Creekster! That's exactly the kind of information that folks need.

My boat brand isn't owned by an engine manufacturer but the dealers are definitely beholding to someone.

Hopefully I won't need to repower for a very long time but when that day comes I'll consider the e-Tec.

·
Registered
41 Posts
well, as far as cost diff, i was qouted about $1500 less for the yamaha over the E-tec. About $12K installed vs. $13.5K installed from Ed's Marine in Richmond. But what about the service costs? Who can tell us about the diff there?

Fishy1

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
E-Tec

I gave the E-tec a very serious consideration when I re-powered my 22 Walk Pro-Line last year. Pretty impressive. However, I couldn't see paying more for the 200hp 2-stroke E-tec than I could get a new 225hp 4-stroke Suzuki. Besides, no one will give you better, quicker more friendly service than our friends at Whalen's Marine (Doug and Jimmy).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts