Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Kevin Bohn
CNN Senior Producer

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Bernie Conatser has never seen business this good.

The owner of a gun shop in the Washington suburb of Manassas, Virginia, Conatser said sales have doubled or tripled since this time last year.

On Saturday, he said, he did as much business as he would normally do in a week.

"I have been in business for 12 years, and I was here for Y2K, September 11, Katrina," Conatser said, as a steady stream of customers browsed what remained of his stock. "And all of those were big events, and we did notice a spike in business, but nothing on the order of what we are seeing right now."

Weapons dealers in much of the United States are reporting sharply higher sales since Barack Obama won the presidency a week ago.

Buyers and sellers attribute the surge to worries that Obama and a Democratic-controlled Congress will move to restrict firearm ownership, despite the insistence of campaign aides that the president-elect supports gun rights and considers the issue a low priority. Watch shoppers snap up guns of all types »

According to FBI figures for the week of November 3 to 9, the bureau received more than 374,000 requests for background checks on gun purchasers -- a nearly 49 percent increase over the same period in 2007. Conatser said his store, Virginia Arms Company, has run out of some models -- such as the AR-15 rifle, the civilian version of the military's M-16 -- and is running low on others.

Such assault weapons are among the firearms that gun dealers and customers say they fear Obama will hit with new restrictions, or even take off the market.

Virginia gun owner Kyle Lewandowski said he was buying a .45-caliber pistol to "hedge my bets."

"Every election year, you have to worry about your rights being eroded a little bit at a time," he said. "I also knew, because of the Democrat majority and because of the election, everybody would have the same reaction I did," he added.

But Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, called the buying spree "goofy." He said widespread talk of banning guns is a "sales pitch."

"With the glacial speed that we make progress on sensible gun laws, savvy gun consumers should know better than to think they have to rush out and buy guns," Hamm said. Similar surges accompanied the election of Bill Clinton, the last Democratic president, he added.

Dealers in Colorado, Ohio, Connecticut and New Hampshire also reported seeing major increases.

"It's a fact that the liberal Democrats that now control all three branches of our government do not like guns. They want us out of business," Connecticut resident Scott Hoffman said. "They don't want the average American to have a right to defend themselves."

And New Hampshire gun owner Lloyd Clement said, "I think there's going to be an attack to some degree on the gun owners."

The Clinton administration imposed a ban on several types of military-style semi-automatic rifles and high-capacity magazines in 1994, but that ban was allowed to lapse in 2004. Obama has proposed restoring the ban, requiring background checks for buyers at gun shows, and other "common-sense measures."

He has said he supports the rights of local governments to set their own gun laws, but believes the Second Amendment to the Constitution protects individual gun rights.

"I believe the Second Amendment means something. I do think it speaks to an individual right," Obama said in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in February.

With the U.S. economy in a tailspin, however, the president-elect's advisers say gun legislation is not a high priority.

"What people do is their own business, and if they decide to go out and buy guns they'll go out and buy guns, assuming that they are eligible to buy guns," John Podesta, the co-chairman of Obama's transition team, told reporters Sunday. "But I think that President-elect Obama has been clear in his campaign that what he wants to focus on is the economy, trying to get jobs growing again, dealing with the health care crisis, and dealing with our dependence on foreign oil."

Some customers are stocking up specifically on ammunition and point to concerns raised by the National Rifle Association, which ran anti-Obama ads during the campaign.

The NRA said Obama would support a "huge new tax on my guns and ammo," referencing a 1999 article in a Chicago newspaper saying the then-Illinois state senator promoted a plan to increase federal taxes by 500 percent on the sales of firearms and ammunition.

But as a state legislator, Obama would not have had any control over federal taxes. And as a U.S. senator and presidential candidate, he has not introduced or promoted such a proposal.

"I don't really believe it is fear. It is more there is just uncertainty," said Virginia customer David Reynolds, who was buying ammunition in the store as well as ordering more online.

"You know, we don't really know what is going on," he said. "There really hasn't been a lot of clear direction on where he supports it, although he says he supports the Second Amendment. But it just remains to be seen. I think some people are just uncomfortable with what his policy may be."

·
Registered
38 Posts
After talking to individuals at a recent gun show they confirmed sales are skyrocketing.
They did say ammo prices are going to go thru the roof something about a big tax increase. I dont know but I am some what stocking the safe.

Smokedog :cool2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
500% is what I heard but didnt want to put that out there because I had not heard of any amount previously.
You know how things are inflated when being talked about at gun shows.
Stock up now.

smokedog :cool2:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Other relevant facts which appeared in the Washington Post

The video cites a decade-old clip from a Chicago newspaper to support its claim that Obama favors a huge new gun tax. The December 13, 1999, article in the Chicago Defender said that Obama, then an Illinois state senator, supported a "500 percent" increase in the federal tax on the sale of "weapons he says are most commonly used in firearm deaths."

It is unclear from the article exactly what weapons would have been covered by the proposed tax. Most of the article deals with proposals by Obama to "increase the penalties on gun runners who are flooding Chicago's streets with illegal weapons." Even if Obama did support a big tax increase on the sale of certain types of assault weapons back in 1999, that is hardly evidence that he will move as president to tax the "guns and ammo" most commonly used by hunters ...
The NRA video also accuses Obama of voting "to ban virtually all deer-hunting ammunition" and supporting "a ban on shotguns and rifles most of us use for hunting." The deer-hunting claim is based on Obama's support for an unsuccessful Senate amendment by Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) that would have expanded the definition of "armor-piercing" ammunition. The other claim refers to semiautomatic rifles and pistols covered by the assault weapons ban, which expired in March 2004.

Contrary to Rusch's claim, the Kennedy proposal of July 2005, SA 1615, was not aimed at "virtually all deer-hunting ammunition." Instead, it would have authorized the attorney general to define types of illegal ammunition capable of penetrating body armor commonly used by law enforcement officials. During the Senate debate, Kennedy said that his amendment would "not apply to ammunition that is now routinely used in hunting rifles," a point contested by the NRA. WASHINGTON POST

Anyone can access SA1615 and judge for themselves if it covered "virtually all deer-hunting ammunition".....the deer I have killed did not require armour pierceing rounds. The police supported the passage of such a bill....it is they that take these rounds.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Not this etou **** is all broached on illegally obtained guns.

Bad guys will always be able to obtain illegal guns, if you can't have leagal guns, who then is mere PREY.

More over they push every program they can to push criminals out on the streets even WAR CRIMINALS from getmo will soon be on our streets thanks to etoufool and their ilk.!

Yes they are for the "middle class" as long as we're kept worker bee defenseless prey.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
As state senator, Mr. Obama advocated handgun bans and 500 percent tax increases on all firearms and ammunition. He voted to ban single-shot 20-gauge shotguns, calling them "assault weapons." He even voted four times to allow the prosecution of a father who defended his family in his own home with a handgun.
As U.S. senator, Mr. Obama refused to sign the bipartisan congressional brief recognizing the Second Amendment as an individual right. He publicly supported Washington, D.C.'s, draconian gun ban. He voted for Ted Kennedy's ban on commonly used hunting ammunition such as the .30-30. In fact, Mr. Obama's steadfast contempt for gun owners and hunters earned him the endorsements of radical groups with stated goals of banning guns and all hunting.
These surrogates support Mr. Obama because they share a political party. That's understandable. However, it is shameless for them to misrepresent Mr. Obama's record to American gun owners. Barack Obama voted against gun owners and hunters on the most basic issues affecting our freedoms. He even called us "bitter." Anyone suggesting otherwise isn't shooting straight. Those are the facts.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
911... run out & get guns... gotta get guns...

Y2K... run out & get guns... gotta get guns...

Hurricane 700 miles away ... run out & get guns... gotta get guns...

Obama coming to office ... run out & get guns... gotta get guns...

Notice a trend here? Gun stores hyping their own sales... people spreading fear rumors.... Yall go & spend.

People are friggin stupid sheep.

Scared stupid sheep, gun companies know this, yall fall right into the trap.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
LOL

Between Biden and Obama, the chances of coming out of the next four years WITHOUT some sort af ban on guns is next to nill.

They owe too much to the etoufools of the world!

Those who spout stats on illegal guns and project them on normal sane citizens.

Kinda like saying this;

"Thanks SD. I did look it up. Liar in Chief Michale Warren Rose claims he does not live at 314 Locust Terrace, Salisbury Md. A quick check of my old fishing records shows that address is where I picked him up the one time we fished together."

Is ok on an internet fishing board.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I would be interested in seeing the bill wherein Obama voted to ban 20 GA shotguns as "assult weapons". This sounds more like just another lie from a well known totally unreliable source.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Kinda like your illeagal gun stats etoufool and your thinking this;

"Thanks SD. I did look it up. Liar in Chief Michale Warren Rose claims he does not live at 314 Locust Terrace, Salisbury Md. A quick check of my old fishing records shows that address is where I picked him up the one time we fished together."

is acceptable on an internet fishing board.

BTW somebody (not a friend) sent me all your info....full name address etc.

You want me to post it here?

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
I would be interested in seeing the bill wherein Obama voted to ban 20 GA shotguns as "assult weapons". This sounds more like just another lie from a well known totally unreliable source.
20 gauges should definitely be banned. They're only good for women and god knows, the last thing we need is pissed off women with shotguns.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
stick one where the sun don't shine and pull the trigger then capt squid.

20 guage is damn fine for upland game.

And making fools out of girly men like you!

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
a 22 up the nose is as effective as a 454 from across the yard capt numbnuts.

I am proficient with both and everything in between.

want some grease for that 20 guage?

You're obviously gun DUMB!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Kinda like your illeagal gun stats etoufool and your thinking this;

is acceptable on an internet fishing board.

BTW somebody (not a friend) sent me all your info....full name address etc.

You want me to post it here?[/QUOTE

Go for it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts