Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Staying in Outer Banks next May with my brothers. Looking to book an offshore trip for tuna and dolphin
then an inshore trip for flounder.

Charter recommendations appreciated.
Mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
Check the North Carolina flounder regulations. The fish has been over fished and they are currently off limits for most of the year. However for an in shore guide I highly recommend Ken Dempsey out of Oden’s Dock. This guy knows that sound like the back of his hand. Red fish and spec trout should be available in May in shore.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I have not been to Cape Hatteras in the past 20 years. But when I used to go there annually, I did several inshore charters with Capt. Doug Martin out of Teach's Lair marina in Hatteras. He knew the local waters very well and had an uncanny knack of finding fish. I believe Doug is still chartering there.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Are you planning on fishing out of Hatteras inlet or OI? If you are going out of hatteras get on the gambler out of Hatteras harbor. May is an awesome time to fish down there. Blue marlin are around, dolphin will show in numbers, tuna are still around and there will still be a decent wahoo bite

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you planning on fishing out of Hatteras inlet or OI? If you are going out of hatteras get on the gambler out of Hatteras harbor. May is an awesome time to fish down there. Blue marlin are around, dolphin will show in numbers, tuna are still around and there will still be a decent wahoo bite
Prefer OI but we have not secured a rental yet either (guys only trip so fishing is more important than housing). Many more rental options around OI but driving out to Hatteras not a big deal.
Thanks for all replies been a while since I chartered a boat down there.
Mark

·
Registered
104 Posts
The OI boats are generally more expensive and take a longer run to the fishing grounds. OI has a lot more yellowfin action, but Hatteras has a bit more variety. In Early MAY, a lot of the OI boats are still hunting bluefin and most of the Hatteras boats are looking fo yellowfin, blackfin, wahoo, and big gaffer dolphin. I really prefer fishing out of Hatteras. The Runaway boat out of Oden's dock has ALWAYS put us on fish. Captain Jay Daniels is an extremely fishy guy. The surf fishing in Hatteras should be very good in May. Also agree on team Dempsey for inshore fishing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’ve fished out of Hatteras in May and the guys are correct. We caught a variety of fish as stated. I like Hatteras as it is fifteen to twenty miles closer to the Gulf Stream.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Staying in Outer Banks next May with my brothers. Looking to book an offshore trip for tuna and dolphin
then an inshore trip for flounder.

Charter recommendations appreciated.
Mark
in May, tuna will be better out of OI. Cobia out of OI will be hot in May, but you better charter for May now. Hatteras will probably have dolphin before OI but will probably have you bottom fishing in the ocean too. Flounder will be out of season in May. We had a two week flounder season in October this year.
I suggest you look up Fowled Hook out of Pirates Cove for cobia if there are 3 or more of you. Many of the smaller outboard boats are uncomfortable on a sloppy day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's been awhile but I've always had a good trip on the Little Clam with Capt. Patrick Caton. He typically bottom fishes nearshore reef areas which isn't what you were necessarily looking for but it's a good trip nonetheless. The boat runs out of Oden's Dock in Hatteras Village.
Bottom Fishing | Outer Banks | Hatteras, NC | Little Clam
I've fished with "Captain Cussword" Caton at least 6 times. That guy is insane for fish. I highly recommend his as well. He's gotten us on dolphin, cobia, jacks, you name it. It's no-frills fishing, and he's very likely to drop some F-bombs (youngins wear your earmuffs), but if there are fish out there, he will find them.
Water Sky Shorts Shoe Bermuda shorts

Shorts Smile Sky Outdoor recreation Fish

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for replies. I booked a trip on Runaway out of Hatteras. Plan to stay in Hatteras so we can surf fish. Still looking for a near shore trip.

The week Im going is the the first week after the OFF season for rentals :confused:
Maybe next year Ill go a couple weeks earlier get a better shot at a big bluefin tuna and save 4 hundred on OFF season rental.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah he suggested Free Agent who is related to the guy on Lil Clam.
Capt Jay is heading south to fish in the keys for the winter so may try to fish with him
down there as well.

Not a bad circuit, Hatteras spring to fall and Florida Keys in the winter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts