Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not much of a surf fisherman...I like it but always go out on a boat.

Starting Sunday, I'll be in Nags head for a week. It is a family trip with two other families so spending all day cruising the beach is out but some early morning or after dark fishing on the beach could/should be in order. What do I need? Can I catch Spot from the beach for bait this time of year? Puppy Drum? Big Drum? Are the Specks in the suds?

Also, any spots I should try other than out back of the beach house? Anywhere on the sound side for Specks (near the fishing center?)

Any and all help appreciated! I have standard boat tackle but could gain access to some surf rods as needed.

Thanks

Glenn

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Glenn on your way down there is a shop on the right just as you are coming into Kitty Hawk on your right you will see a 7-11 and a TW's Takle Shop...that tackle shop is a good place to stop and ask for local info and there is another one a little further that is right on the street that is a two story house looking structure that I have heard is TOP NOTCH I think it is called fishing fever.....not to sure ! Good luck and have some fun!!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Just got back last Saturday. I caught small taylor blues and puppy drum on the "hatteras bugs" tipped with "fat back"......if you find a nice cut at low tide it's worth going back on incoming with small grubs for the spike trout. I never tried but there is a good area north of avalon for the trout if you are staying near that area.

Also night time striper action from the bridge....bmail me if you are interested on those details.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey Glenn,
If you want to try for Trout in the surf, than your best bet is to fish the slack low tide.
If you get a slack low tide at daybreak, dusk or at night, they are the best.
The slack high tide can be good too, but low tide is usually better.
I would always start fishing about an hour before the slack low and fish until about an hour and a half after.
The Trout sloughs are almost always located on the North sides of all of the piers down there. I used to walk the beach North of the Kitty Hawk Pier and there were great sloughs there, but every year is different. Like Robert said, stop off at TW's, they always know where the sloughs are.
If you can take your castnet along there should be plenty of finger Mullet passing through and the Trout and Puppy Drum love em.
The best sloughs are narrow ones where you can reach the bar or break with your cast.
Also, look for an opening or break in the sandbar, these are great spots.
Sometimes the fish are up in the whitewater of the bar and sometimes they stay in the clear water, so be sure to fish both.
The best baits are the usual, Mirrolures, grubs, Gulps, etc.
Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing of all, you want pretty clean water to be able to catch Trout, if it's muddy forget it.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check the beaches for sloughs. Get out early, before the sun rises. Cast green (not chartruese- regular green) grubs w/ 1/2oz. jigheads in the surf for trout. TW's is a great resource for info and the guys are pretty cool to "out-of-towners".

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Don't forget the piers down there Glenn ! :yes: Sometimes it can be productive & fun for the family as well ? :clapping2: Good luck :fishing2: the banks ..Hope ya have a great trip .....:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts