Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from the Outerbanks the other day. Some observations. I’ve been visiting the OBX for over forty years. Seems folks appear to get into a different frame of mind when they visit. Everyone is just plain friendly. There’s a what I would call a hole in the wall bakery in Burton. Not very big and not very fancy with a limited variety of baked goods. We sat on the deck eating our pastry. Every person that walked by us greeted us with a “good morning’, “how are you”, etc. Gives off a great vibe. Same happens when surf fishing and beach walkers pass by.

We’ve made this fall trip for the last twenty years. They closed flounder fishing in NC the last few years so we no longer bring boats. It’s surf , pier or bridge fishing these days. I find these fishermen a different breed from boat fishermen. They are free with advice. Ask them anything and they give it up. No worries about spot burning. As info, after oh so many years Drum Tackle has moved. They are a short distance south of their former location on the right lane.

Going to the Banks in the fall is always a **** shoot with the weather. Our first day surf fishing was a blue bird day. Sunny, light winds and warm. Unfortunately the fishing was not good. Very small /luefish. I call them snippers. And not many of them at that. The next two days it blew thirty to thirty five from the worse possible direction. Couldn’t fish anywhere. They did away with the cat walk at Oregon Inlet and converted the old bridge into a fishing pier like they did with the Choptank bridge really nice. We fished it in the afternoon one day. What a variety of fish. Specks, black drum sheepshead, reds, weakness etc. To bad all were to small to keep. Although one fellow did catch a slot red. One thing that surprised me was that it take much weight to hold bottom at the bridge.

Just like everywhere else you need a $14.00 non-resident coastal fishing license and a $50.00 permit to drive in the beach. DNR showdown up in the bridge and checked coolers and licenses. My buddy left his license in the car. No problem. The officer called it in to verify.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just got back Sunday myself!

That bakery is called Orange Blossom and if you didn't get the Apple Ugly, make sure you get one next time!

Also, we ate at Cockeyed Clam (also in Buxton) two different times and had 2 of the best meals I've ever had in my life.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had an Apple Ugly. I’ve had them before. They’re a meal in one. They sell a lot of them.
We actually thought about buying a place down there at one time. However because it was so far a drive and the unpredictability of the weather we decided against it.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,387 Posts
Driving to OC for an offshore charter and getting blown out is one thing but driving to OBX and getting blown out is another. Crazy weather patterns down there..........Gary
If you want to go offshore in North Carolina, early August is the time to go.

Reactions: crabby and son

·
Registered
913 Posts
We actually thought about buying a place down there at one time. However because it was so far a drive and the unpredictability of the weather we decided against it.
The "Nights in Rodanthe" house is currently on the market for a cool $1.7M.

However it looks like most of Rodanthe is on the market right now!! The northernmost house there is condemned and will be collapsing soon....and there are several others below it whose days are numbered. Sad, but unfortunately not surprising.

It will be interesting to see how it changes down there going forward. There have been at least 3 new bridges built down there (OI and south) in the last 15 years. And the road coming into Buxton is getting pretty skinny.....like coming into Rodanthe used to be before the new bridge.

Edit: just saw this article about the erosion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts