Tidal Fish Forum banner

oc boat ramp incident

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  earlby 
#1 ·
My brothers trailer was parked at owls creek boat ramp yesterday. When he returned to the ramp after fishing he noticed someone had hit his trailer. There was a good amount of damage and the person did not leave a note or nothing. This trailer is less than two months old, and already is beat up.
If the person who did this is a member.
What if this was your trailer? (the person who did this is the same kind of person who drives past someone broke down and drifting somewhere dangerous). All you had to do was at least leave some kind of contact info. Remember what karma is.

#2 ·
Karma is a powerful thing too! Sorry to hear that your brother's trailer was hit and the offending party didn't leave a note. It will come back to that person - it always does! As satisfying as that is to me (that they get theirs), I wish there was someone standing around with a sign letting them know why they got theirs; it could say something like "KARMA, BABY, JUST KARMA..." Sadly though, they probably still wouldn't get it. Call your agent up; auto policies usually cover trailers while attached to the insured vehicle.

#3 ·
your trailer is probalby covered under your boat ins. but possible that your underinsured/uninsured motorist coverge could pick it up under you auto.

we put in there too and when we were fishing off the ramada I heard someone call over the radio saying that they had hit a truck in the parking lot and were asking who's it was. think they said Ford F250 but just barely caught the transmission. maybe that was the person and someone else caught the name of the captain.

hope this helps

Andy

#8 ·
your trailer is probalby covered under your boat ins. but possible that your underinsured/uninsured motorist coverge could pick it up under you auto.

we put in there too and when we were fishing off the ramada I heard someone call over the radio saying that they had hit a truck in the parking lot and were asking who's it was. think they said Ford F250 but just barely caught the transmission. maybe that was the person and someone else caught the name of the captain.

hope this helps

Andy
The only coverage that would be provide by the auto policy would be Liability which would cover Bodly Injury or Property Damage to a third person. Under most boat policies you have to purchase additional coverage. Good luck.

#4 ·
My suggestion is to file a hit and run complaint with the Virginia Beach Police. They are required by law to contact the police if an accident has occured. Sorry about your trailer. That sucks. I would recommend either Hibbards Iron Works in Newport News 826-5611 or Portsmouth Trailer in Chesapeake to get it fixed. Hibbards probably has greater structural capability than Portsmouth since they are an iron / steel shop.

#9 ·
Sorry to hear about that, but just to let you know......some people do leave a note......last summer someone took the taillight off my brand new trailer in the parking lot and left an envelope on my windshield. Inside was a note apologizing, $50 bucks for a new set of taillights, and a name and phone number.

G
#10 ·
This goes along with my post yesterday where people were so disrespectful about where and how they parked. Has to be part time trailer people because the regulars know how to use their equipment or the trash I saw at the ramp from NC.

#12 ·
Very interesting comments concerning the insurance side of this issue. Appreciate the feedback. I now know enough to know that I need to ask my insurance agent if I am covered for this type of issue. Seeing the mess that goes on at the boat ramps, the chances of our trailers being damaged are probably high.

I would suggest to fellow TF's, with the network we have, that when we see this type of behavior at the public ramps, take just a minute and phone in a complaint to public safety.

Thanks,
Doug

#13 ·
I talked to your brother at the ramp yesterday after it happened, hope he gets the guy that hit his trailer.

On another note, despite being pissed off about his trailer, he offered me two fat stripers while I was sitting at the launch freezing my ass off waiting for my girl to bring the car back. That's a genuine gesture in my book, and much appreciated! I was out there in the yellow kayak.

#15 ·
That guy deserves a big kick in the a$$. What about you. He left you high and dry with no light but tried to make his conscious feel good. What a creep.

Dennis
I agree, but in this instance, what are the proper steps to sort this out? just trying to figure this out.

BTW, All the insurance talk is interesting to hear about, and good to know. thanks.

#16 ·
FYI-in my trailer tool box I carry 6 Red chemical lightsticks.The kind you bend to make work.Offshore guys use them as well as scuba divers.Watch the exp. date on them.If you lose the trailer lights -at least these will "glow" enough to warn other drivers.Not sure what the cops will say but at least it will get you home. I had a light broken at Ocean City Md-note was under my windshield with tag #/cell # and address.Sent him the receipt for $21.00-he sent me back $40.00.I thought that was more then fair. Skip

#17 ·
I had someone in Lewis hit my trailer while we were out trout fishing. When we got back the drivers side tail light was gone. To make matters worse the wires had shorted and drained the battery in the truck. The guy was local from Lewis he left a not saying how sorry he was with contact info. I called him he was ready to send me a check for lights and battery. I told him the battery was fine and he sent me a check for new lights. Goes to show you that there are good people out there still. If you are reading this thank you for leaving a note and you are one of a few. Hope more people would do what you did but I don't think so.

#20 ·
if unplugging your lights first

if you have surge brakes and unplug your lights first before backing down the ramp, you will not be able to back down the ramp since the brakes override will not work and the brakes will lockup when backing. I remember the 1st time I forgot to connect the plug when moving my boat from one side of the yard to the other. Went to backup and it came to a sudden stop. I felt like a real dummy when I realized what had happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.