Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OC Boat Show is nice this year. I was really surprised to see Parker's with E-tecs hanging on them, but that is what I saw. Lots of pretty boats...but the new fiberglass smell makes one slightly disoriented and possibly a little loose w/ the checkbook. Fortuneatly resin fumes don't have the same effect on SWMBO and she has the check book. Then it was off to dinner, Outback or Ruth Chris, with visions of new power still fresh in my mind we made it an Outback night.

Lance

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Lance I was in Florida last week, couldn't sleep, ( kinda like right now) turned on the tube, Evinrude had a thirty minute infomercial on E Techs.They made it seem E Techs were the Second coming of Christ. I know Slipsinker repowered his ride with one.
Shoulda went to Ruth's !!

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Lance if you want to but a new boat you better stay away from Ruth's!!!:D
Which parker dealership was at OC?....Tristate or Short's?...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shorts Marine was the Parker Dealer. No way am I going to Ruths Chris with the kids. I don't have visions of a new ride anytime soon, but there is a better than fair chance of a repower in the next year or so. I love my boat to death and my 88 Merc 150 has been the epitomy of reliable, but she doesn't owe me anything. I'd be hard pressed to choose between a Zuke, Opti, or E-tec if I had to make the decision today.

Lance

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Be careful with Shorts...they kept changing the price when I was pricing a new Parker.....

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hey All. We just came back from the keys. Spent the whole month of January there...My guess is that 35-40 % of the boats there are wearing E-Tecs....Must be something good there. CUJO

·
Registered
988 Posts
I too seen the 30 min. infomercial on E-TECS. This motor sounds to good to be true. With that being said I love my yammi f225 and would not change for the world.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I fished next to someone who had the E-tec's...they seemed loud to me like the old 2 strokes.....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
E tech loud !!!! My 225 E tech was extremely quite. I'm not sure how Great the engine was as 4 strokes got it going on but Loud it was not.. For people that like 2 strokes and lighter on the transom then the e tech is not a bad choice. It was a very responsive engine with great torque and no smoke. I have the FI yammy 200s and am considering the e tech upgrade. AGAIN.... Sold the last boat and only ran the e tech 1 year.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Talked with one of the shop techies from Short's at the show. When the E-tecs first arrived on the scene, he was slow to warm up to them, but said he's learned to like'em. Of course I needed to sort thru the salesmanship, but he seemed to know I was doing that anyway, so I think I heard that the E-tec torque and hole shot is unmatched by the Yammy 4 strokes. I wouldn't know, except I thought all 2-stroke hole shots were generally "better" than 4-strokes, and that props had more do with hole shots than just a comparison between motors. Can anybody back that one up with experience?

Our classic Parker could be due for 200-225 repower soon. It's prolly between a 2-stroke E-tec or another Yammie - undecided on 2 or 4 stroke Yam.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
UGLY!!.........:D.C'mon what wouldn't look nice on a "Manly-Man parker"........

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
I don't know about this E tech thing,In the infomercial they were saying absolutely no maint.required ,at all ???Id be real skeptical about that claim.
Have to love those parkers though.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
My F225 is the best motor I have owned by far. I love the smooth quiet running at absolutely any RPM. The 100 hr oil change and 200 hr full service do come around pretty fast for me. During fall fishing on breaking albies, blues and stripers, the motor may run on idle most of the day. It seems we are always adjusting the position of the boat relative to birds and fish. It is easier to let it idle than to start it often. Four strokes are great for this. The down side is that during two weeks at Montauk, I can put 100 hrs on the motor and it is ready for service. The 100 hr is quick and easy to DIY, but the 200 hr I let the dealer do.

In light of the competition I think Yamaha could modify some of their service recommendations. I can see the crankcase oil being changed every 100 hrs but not the lower unit, if the hrs are put on as quickly as I do. As I said 100 hrs for me could be a two week interval. Every time I drain the lower unit, the oil looks as pure as when it went in.

Etec's would definitely require less maintenance.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Yeah Bill, I was thinking the same thing...I can't wait for my ride....I have been on boats with the F225 and the motor was very impressive.........

·
Registered
654 Posts
I thought black was supposed to be a slimming color, those things look cartoonishly large, especially compared to the Etecs above.

Im plenty happy that mine is coming with a Yamaha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts