Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about heading down to OC soon for some shark fishing. Took my 21ft Striper WA out last year one time on a really flat day. Caught a lot of flounder on the reefs and wrecks among other small things. Tried sharking a little bit and we had one come in and investigate but didn't take the hook. Ended up out to the African Queen. That's probably the furthest I would go on a single screw. Of course that day I saw a pontoon boat out 12 miles :eek2:. The inlet wasn't bad at all, going or coming. I know it can get really nasty at times. How can you predict good or bad inlet? I assume out going tide with east wind would be bad but I feel there's probably a little more to it than that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Any current an wind that appose one another will stand it up in there. The wind has to have a little bit of value if out of west.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
My experience, which is far from exhaustive, is that if it is calm enough weather that you think it'll be fishable out in the ocean, usually the inlet is passable in a small boat. Exceptions being big swell hitting an outgoing or the like.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Cletus is correct, calm conditions usually mean a calm inlet. My biggest problem at the inlet wakes from the big boys. Then again, that's it goes.

As far as a single engine....I run my 22' as far as the washington on good days with a single motor.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cletus is correct, calm conditions usually mean a calm inlet. My biggest problem at the inlet wakes from the big boys. Then again, that's it goes.

As far as a single engine....I run my 22' as far as the washington on good days with a single motor.
Stumpknocker, even if I were to run at 30mph (26kts) it would be a 2 +/- hour run back in from the canyon. Without a weather satellite antenna and no cell service, I'm not chancing getting caught in a thunderstorm in a 21ft boat even if it is a deep V walk-around. My set up cruises well at 24mph or almost 21kts. Normally that would be almost a 3 hour ride. Its just not worth it for me. I have other options (friends) I can go to the canyons with if I want to, in much larger boats.

Thanks all for the input.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Like others have said, anytime wind and tide are opposing each other, or even close, its going to get snotty. Came back in last year with my 20' V20 cuddy in solid close spaced 5's, and the pucker factor was high. Was calmer when I went out but picked up just enough. As a testament to the boat, none came over the bow.

Just be safe and sure.

Chris

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Stumpknocker, even if I were to run at 30mph (26kts) it would be a 2 +/- hour run back in from the canyon. Without a weather satellite antenna and no cell service, I'm not chancing getting caught in a thunderstorm in a 21ft boat even if it is a deep V walk-around. My set up cruises well at 24mph or almost 21kts. Normally that would be almost a 3 hour ride. Its just not worth it for me. I have other options (friends) I can go to the canyons with if I want to, in much larger boats.
Good point, we carry a spot tracker, EPRIB, and I have Sirius weather installed on our boat, plus a Simrad radar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts