Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on moving the boat from the Ches Bay to OC for the summer. I'm familiar with the bay & inlet but with a 30' W/A I'm limited in the bay.

Not big on bottom fishing

Not ready for a canyon run yet

What & where can I expect to catch if I have a (self-imposed) limit of 25 mi offshore

Currently have two 30# trolling setups. Will be looking for a couple more setups. What tackle (rods/reels/line) and baits (artificials, spreader bars, etc) do I need to get started ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tack 10 miles to your range and you're into Mako's and Tuna the majority of the time. As for your ? 21 miles gets you to the Jack Spot which holds a variety of fish, 17 miles to the twin wrecks for the same and numerous wrecks, humps and bumps between the inlet and 25 miles.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You can fish the fingers. Most people over-run this on there way off but if its one of those summers where the blue water moves inshore, you can catch anything there (dolphin, tuna, marlin, wahoo). If you're eventually gonna make runs further off to the hotdog and the canyons and such, get yourself a couple 50's too. They're great for sharking (with a 25 mile range you can easily get into makos and threshers) and you'll appreciate them when you hook into a pig bluefin. As for lures, don't worry about the big marlin stuff, get yourself a bunch of cedar plugs, some spoons, spreader bars. Invest most of your lure money into sea witches and islanders to run over ballyhoo. Cedars off the flat lines, a spreader bar on each short rigger, and fill in the rest with ballyhoo. Wait, I just looked at the pic of your boat and there is no need for the self-imposed limit. You should at least be comfortable enough to hit the hambone, and the sausages which puts you into serious tuna land (and also opens up chunking as a method which I personally hate and can't give advice on)

·
Registered
496 Posts
With a boat like yours, you can and will make canyon runs in no time, but while you're building your confidence level, the above suggestions are very good. Huge blue fish at Jack Spot should show up late April or early May. Small blue fin tuna usually show up later, as do king mackeral. Some of the smaller boats troll that area almost exclusively, but you should be prepared to move on out. While you're practicing near shore, you should troll the line between Jack Spot and Twenty Fathoms, and maybe on to Massey's Canyon (it's 30 miles). Later, you'll want to venture on out to the Sausages, Hot Dog and Hambone. Meahwhile, you want to use the Mid Atlantic Offshore Board.

You will want four more offshore rigs for your arsenal. If funds aren't too tight, buy as many 50 rigs (such as TLD-50's) as you can afford, although many on this board contend that you don't need anything bigger than single-speed TLD-25's. My experience was to start replacing 30 rigs with 50s after hooking up a couple of blue fins - but I'm w wimp.

Lots of guys on the offshore board are accomplished offshore fishermen and all of them will help you get started. Initially, you might invite a couple of experienced HOs to help with the expenses and to impart some of their experiences. Some have great rigs and lures that they will bring along - I never got all my lures wet last year because my friends wanted to try theirs out (and with great success, I might add.)

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
We fish the canyons in a 23' and I'm not afraid. just pick your days and run to where the fish are. By imposing a limit on your runs you'll likely spend most of your time fishing "dead" water. Or learn to love bottom fishing I was never into it unitl I started paying attention to the guys who love it. Now I'm as into that as I am pelagics. Hang a few montset tog and you'll get hooked!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
the 3070 is a nice hull we have fished ours out to 50 miles plus . you just have to pick your days if the winds are 10 to 15 for that day you should be OK . I have fished on days that we should have stayed in . this boat is very stable and dry ride offshore .

for offshore rods you can buy some 6/0 combos from BPS , but you will wish you had bought the 30s & 50s you looked at and thought they were two high . just get the 50s and be done with it . I have been over this route earlier in my offshore adventures .

rigs start with ceder plug chains blue/white , red white . seawitchs blue/ white , pink/ white & pink . get a bird and green machine combo to pull down the center .

anymore ? just bmail me . I can help you with your rigs and give you a few tips

Kevin:rockon:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses !

Looks like some 50's are in my future. Any specific recommendations for rods/reels/line ?

sloth - Thanks & I'll take you up on your offer to hop aboard & show me the way. Sent you an email

·
Registered
496 Posts
Shimano 50's

There are lots of preferences for rods, reels and line for offshore fishing, but my target fish usually is tuna, wahoo or mahi, and most of my reels are the Shimano TLD-50 IILRS which ran about $425 each. In March, Shimano releases an upgraded model TLD-50 IILRS-A which (amazingly) is $50 cheaper. Take a look at them. There're durable, require little maintenance and Ake's (in Ocean City) has part/repairs if ever required. I also like the much more expensive gold 2-speeds which are made by Penn and Shimano . but the added expense is unnecessary. I have had bad experiences with the Okuma so would not go there. Avet, made in the USA out of solid hunks of aluminum, also is a great reel, and they are virtually indestructible, but more expensive than the TLD series. I'll let others recommend rods, but there are many good rods out there. For line, many good ones. I'm currently using Suffix Superior 60 or 80 lbs, but Momoi and Ande also make top quality line. On most of my reels, I spooled 50% of the spool with PowerPro 80 lbs, and then finish with the top shot of the Suffix, which sometimes must be replaced mid-season. Anyway, good luck - Van

·
Registered
678 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Penn International 50 2-speeds, and the 70 is nice too. I put 60# Ande on the 50's, 40# Ande on the 30's, and 100# Ande on my 80's. I like the hi-vis yellow so we can see where all the baits are ( especially when pulling multiple wwb's). If you can find one cheap, do yourself a favor and pick up an 80 (preferably with a bent butt rod, but make sure its a stand-up bent butt if you have no chair) When the big bluefins are in and you've got to troll a line 600 yards back for fish up to 200#, you'll thank god you have that one 80.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like everyone points to 50# gear. Is 30# gear just too small ? Or like most things in life bigger is better ?

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you had posted this on the Mid Atlantic Offshore board, you would have gotten more and varied responses. There are those who swear by the TLD-25 (single speed), but when I fish on a boat that uses them, I make myself scarace when one of them goes off. That said, while chunking last summer, we caught two tuna (40 lb and 60 lb) on a small spinning reel (Penn mod 4400) with 25 lb line. It took a couple of hours to do it and lots of boat handling chasing the fish for several miles. But I started out with 2 50's, 4 30's and 2 20's. The 20's were sold right after they got spooled and lost big fish, and the 30's were replaced by 50's (although I keep the 30's rigged for emergency chunking situations). So several of us are suggesting that you will save money in the long run to go for the 50's. And as was mentioned, it also would be nice to have an 80 rig for WWWB bft fishing and for running a deep planer rig - I don't have one, tho. So more to ponder. Van

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies. They were very helpful. Will start looking at equipment & charts to plan for the season

Any good books that would be helpful ?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Elusive

I would be happy to buddy up with you and learn along. This is my second year to trailer down as many times as possible. If you would post or bmail when your going and i'll do the same. Last year I was buying everything that I needed and just couldnt afford all of it at once,so I bought 2 penn 115's and a 114 to go with 2-50w and 2-tld25's. I like the glass rods with all rollers JMO. As said before I will replace the 2 25's before i would replace the 115's.I'll buddy up with a pursuit anytime!!! Keith

·
Registered
87 Posts
Shimano Tiagara 50w lrs or penn 50w will last you a lifetime with proper care and handle "most" everything you want to tangle with. I love the shimano tlds as well, but we never hook any type of harness to the frame lugs.....You gotta slug it out with all the pressure on the rod,otherwise the frame will crack at the base. After we broke a couple we learned you cannot pull the graphite frame in differant directions. Also if you use specta on tlds make shure you use a decent ammount of mono as a shock absorber or on a vicious strike trolling you may have issues as well.Good luck on your new addiction,Your wallet will never be the same.Tight Lines capt.Ken HOTSPOT SPORTFISHING OC, MD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts