Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out just before sunrise out of OC this morning in search of the ruby-lipped devils . We marked a ton of bait while we were headed for our first wreck and decided to stop and jig for a few minutes . No bites so we continued for our tog spot . Shortly after we set the hook , Mark gets the first tog of the day , a respectable fish . A little while later I got one . Not really what we were looking for as far as quality , but decent fish . We moved around a few times as the morning wore on and ended up back at our original spot . After hearing lots of radio chatter about a decent rockfish bite to the north and with little time left ,(Dean had to work and Chris and Mark had to watch the Ravens game) we headed up to the high rise condo area to find a lot of boats striper fishing . We had two Stretch 25's on the boat so we deployed them on two tog rods . We caught one keeper at 29" and in the box it went . With little time left we trolled around for a few more minutes and then headed for the dock . Weather was very nice and it was great to get out with some great guys . Catching some nice fish was a bonus.:yes: The rockfish bite has been very good the last few days with some boats catching over 100 fish , mostly using live eels , trolling and sometimes on the jig . Saw a lot of gannets headed further out past the 3 mile limit so you know there are some bigger fish out there . They don't allow the "harassment" of stripers outside the 3 mile zone so don't even think about catch and release . Plenty of nice fish inside and a lot of fish were being caught very close to the beach .We ended up with 9 or 10 keeper tog and the one rock. Here are a few pics . Chris , if you read this , who put a whuppin' on'em today ?(I got my limit):yes::D Pretty bad when you have to give keepers away to the crew:yes::hysterical::roflguy:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Check my report, Delaware Gannets. It was insane yesterday outside of IRI with tons of fish and a cloud of gannets stretching as far as you could see almost.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Under the law of the sea, an Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) is a seazone over which a state has special rights over the exploration and use of marine resources.
Striped bass are not allowed to be targeted outside 3 nautical miles at any time . The DNR along with the Coast Guard enforces this very strictly . I saw a lot of tickets handed out last year .

A state's EEZ extends to a distance of 200 nautical miles (370 km) out from its coast. The exception to this rule occurs when EEZs would overlap; that is, state coastal baselines are less than 400 nautical miles apart. When an overlap occurs, it is up to the states to delineate the actual boundary. Generally, any point within an overlapping area defaults to the most proximate state.

The Exclusive Economic Zone starts at the coastal baseline and extends 200 nautical miles out into the sea, perpendicular to the baseline. Thus, the EEZ overlaps both the contiguous zone and territorial waters. States also have rights to the seabed of the continental shelf up to 350 nautical miles from the coast, where this extends beyond the EEZ, but this does not form part of their EEZ.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
For a better historical understanding of the how and why's of the EEZ, read Cod Wars. It actually has more to do with money than it does with conservation.

And oh yeah, great report! What kind of boat is that? It looks real nice.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a better historical understanding of the how and why's of the EEZ, read Cod Wars. It actually has more to do with money than it does with conservation.

And oh yeah, great report! What kind of boat is that? It looks real nice.
Seaswirl Striper 21 . It belongs to Captain Chris Mizurak who runs the Angler headboat out of OC.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
"But officer, I was just Blue fishing". I have heard a few people say they would suggest this if stopped by the coasties. Based on my experience with law enforcement (and watching COPS :D) I doubt they would buy it. However, there was a good Blufish bite a month or so ago about ten miles out.

Good job on the tog by the way :clapping2:.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Very nice catching. I was in OC with the family on Sunday and it was beautiful out, wish I had pulled my boat down.

-JB

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Thanks for the report and pics Mike. I was wondering how you guys did. Looks like you had a pretty good day!
(Since I wasn't out fishing, I was home watching football in my living room as required by man club rules :D)

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the report and pics Mike. I was wondering how you guys did. Looks like you had a pretty good day!
(Since I wasn't out fishing, I was home watching football in my living room as required by man club rules :D)
We were back to Mark's house by the opening kickoff .:yes: If we had all day to fish it would have been a slaughter I'm sure .

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Damn Mike I just knew that you would be getting out sooner or later. Thanks for the report and pic's and give me a call maye I can drag my boat over there in the next few weeks if the stripers are still around. Hey by the way, do you think the tog are where we caught them??? Thanks Mike

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn Mike I just knew that you would be getting out sooner or later. Thanks for the report and pic's and give me a call maye I can drag my boat over there in the next few weeks if the stripers are still around. Hey by the way, do you think the tog are where we caught them??? Thanks Mike
Tog are not on the usual inshore haunts Steve . Got to get offshore a few miles to deeper water . We were 10 miles off the beach when tog fishing .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts