Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime I got lucky enough to capture a whole scene from casting to landing. On May 1, I was so lucky that I could even capture my hands and the reel to show the retrieving speed.
I am getting better at crappie fishing - finding the right lures for the time and the location

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Nice report, Joe. Those crappie are more common than I thought. That catfish must've been a cool surprise. I noticed you were using the telescopic rods. :thumbup:They're definitely an underrated piece of fishing equipment.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill,
I have 3 Shakespeare telescopic rods (two 4'6". and one 6'). What brand/model do you have? I like them a lot for the price under $20. I carried one (4'6) whenever I went to Caribbean. I caught many fish. I carry the smaller one in the pockets of cargo pants in Caribbean. I fish whole day – while waiting for meals or water taxi. The Shakespeare rods are very/too flexible. That is why they don’t break. I replaced the rod tops with Shimano because I also use super braided lines. The reels are bad. They crack while fishing. When I travel I carry good reels. BTW, the 4’6” Shakespeare is perfect for crappie (paper mouth)

Sometimes I wanted a stiffer telescopic rod. What brand/model do you have?

Joe

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have a little Shakespeare 4'6" ultralight casting rod, but you're right that it's a bit too flexible. I used to have a silver Shakespeare spinning rod that was 6'6" and had ceramic inserts in the guides. That rod was awesome and was great for trolling shads and spoons and bottomfishing, but my buddy lost it overboard. doh I don't think Shakespeare makes them with the ceramic guides anymore. I replaced that with one from Ogeechee Outdoors:

http://ogeecheeoutdoors.com/home-page-products/12-ft-telescopic-surf-rod-compact.html

It works pretty well. I've caught stripers upto about 22" on it. The guides have ceramic inserts. It's a bit stiffer than the 6'6" Shakespeare but still on the flexible side. The steel around the guides is starting to rust, so I'm not sure how long it will last. I've had it for about 3 years already, which is pretty good. It'll cast everything between about 1/4-1oz. I keep it in my office. I can show it to you the next time you're in the area if you'd like.

If money is no object, Shimano makes an awesome telescopic rod, but it's not available in the US:

http://www.shimano-eu.com/publish/c...ravel/stc/stc_spinning/exage_bx_stc_mini.html

I saw an older version when I was in Canada several years ago. I was looking at the 2.1m model. It was around $100 then, which was more than any other rod I owned. Tt was pretty sweet, though. Not too flexible, and it seemed very sensitive, at least in the store. Whenever I travel, I kick myself for not buying it. doh

I just remembered that Gander Mountain used to have a 6'6" 96% graphite medium action casting rod for around $20. I bought a bunch for my father. They're nicer than the Ogeechee but not as nice as the Shimano. I'm not sure if Gander Mountain still sells them, though.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill,
Thanks for the info. One day I think I can find good one. catching is not a problem with flexible rods but castin and presentation of lure (such as light and quick twitching) is problem. Since you fish Occoquan I edited the third of three videos. It looks lure and lure colors are importnant for some fish.

joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts