Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright maybe I'm crazy but my week at the ocean this year is 4 th July week.

For those of you who have been down there, how bad is the back bay between the inlet and South down to Frontiertown for the fireworks. I know the inlet and North would be horrible, but hopw bad would the traffic be south towards OC Airport and Eagle's Nest????

I was hoping to run the boat Not quite to the inlet watch the show Saturday night and then run back to Frontiertown.

Chris

·
Registered
401 Posts
Do yourself a big favor. Go out on one of the commercial boats that are available, take your beverage of choice and enjoy the evening. It's not worth the hassle on your own boat. Just my humble opinion. I have been doing the commercial boats for several years and believe it is the way to go.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
If you have a GPS and mark a track and have one person watch it over your shoulder. Maybe. the north park ( near the del. line) does one too. Actually you can be in the Assawoman Bay near the Rt.90 bridge and see 3 displays at once. But it's shallow! Heed my first sentence. No GPS? don't do it. And you'll have to stay sober. And wait for all the other idiots take off right after the fireworks at top spped in the dark.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Personally, if you have your family aboard, watch from land.. Too many chances for something to go wrong. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Personally, if you have your family aboard, watch from land.. Too many chances for something to go wrong. Just my 2 cents
Damn Brian,You DO have Good advice!And I think its worth more than 2 cents!:D:D Really though,I agree with you 100%.I went to the Inner Harbor with my neighbor to see the Fireworks about 20 yrs. ago.That was the 1st, and last time!! The Biggest culmanation of Idiots I've ever seen!!

Add night time to the equation,and its a million times worse! [Mike]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Being hatched there do yourself a favor and watch somewhere from land!!! My father used to take us all out on our raft and tie up with about 10 others and have a big party, but it got SO CRAZY it was not worth it!! There are some good places to watch from land we still and always (since we don't go out on the boat anymore) the causeway off of rt.90. On the island between the 2 rt.90 spans take a left like you are going to Bishopville(where I was hatched and raised) and you can park along side the road and you can see north side, south side, Ocean Pines, and secrets fireworks all at the same time. That is what we do and it is easy to get out!

If you have any more questions ask away.

Jay

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

There's no way I want to be anywhere near the inlet.

The thought was to stay about a mile SOUTH of the inlet, just so that I could see the "inlet" show. I have even less desire to drive anywher and see them. Since we'll be at Frontiertown, the back bay seemed like an option.

GPS is mandatory and beer and I don't get along on boats, never have never will and certainly not when it's 85*.

Chris

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I don't even like doing the bay during the day down there on the 4th, forget about at night. too many boats, too much current, too litte space, too messy of an inlet (at times). We watch the fireworks from sneaky petes (at hoopers).

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Chris, I dont mean to " S" on your parade. I know exactly where you are speaking about. Even that area has become so overcrowded, its just a hazzard I wouldn't put myself in. I used to sneak back there when the Thorofare was too crowded. NOw its just jet ski classes, 20 at a time, and people that havent a clue what they're doing.

Mike, I did the Harbour thing 20 years ago, and will never do it again. It's just insane.

I've done Deep Creek Lake on the fourth, that was safer. They have implemented rules with times Jet Skis and other personal watercraft can't be on the water. Still a few nut jobs, but much safer with strict enforcement on drinking and boating.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Echo

You're right, I usually restrict my fishing times to early moring or late evening when the back bay isn't too bad, but you're right the A___hole jetskis can be bad or worse. Of course some of the boats that roar through make me wonder too.

There 's nothing better than the guy who's running on plan with minimal make that slows down to 1/2 plane with the back end dug in and increases the wake to 2' and says to himself "Self, you're doing a great job by slowing down."

Hmm, what I'm hearing is what I though just by common sense. Might really reconsider.

Thanks for the input

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts