Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It don't get no better than right now. The ocean is full of hungry cobia. Fished with Ryan Overton on Fincatcher Friday and we had a nice 35 pound pup. They returned the next day and caught five more fish to 50 pounds. We also saw a school of big red drum cruising the surface. Watch the weather, but Friday's looking good. Who's in?

Ric
757-289-5136

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the forecast holds out, we're going tomorrow. You'll need a heavy rod and reel such as a Penn 320 GTI reel and Penn Powerstick rod spooled with 60 pound braided line. This will serve as your drum, cobia rod plus tog and sheepshead plus trolling for stripers. Also bring your spinning rod to catch bait and your medium heavy rod for a pitch rod. You'll want to get a couple of packages of 8/0 circle hooks and a spool of 80 pound test monofilament. Grab some of the fancy new floats that they -have at the tackle shop. You'll also need a claw or Danforth anchor and at least 75 feet of rope and five feet of chain. We'll check the surf this afternoon before we buy bait and chum. We'll need at least one small bucket of menhaden chum and a dozen eels. Go to any of the local tackle shops and tell them what you're doing. They should set you up. If they pick up the phone and call the "Stupid Police" - RUN! Give me a call if you have other questions.

Ric
289-5136

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, friday is over, and I have survived my first "big game" kayak fishing adventure. Ric and I surveyed the scene from knee deep on in the surf, carefully timing the waves, planning our advance through the breakers. Moments later after we gathered our unsecured gear off the beach, we decided, that timing waves is best left to the surfers, and went for it. Ahh, sucess...we made it through, on to the fish. we paddled out in a headwind, with the seas far from calm. We didn't care, we had come this far and weren't going to back down now. We anchored up and got the chum slick flowing. I let out my first sand eel, wich by the way, are starting to rival gasoline as far as "holy cow! that is a lot of pennies." The eels were in the water, we were bobbing with the swells in unison with the rusty marker bouy. Then out of sea leaped a dolphin, no farther than 20 feet from the front of my kayak, as if in protest to the tasty smelling chum slick, with "no fish for me to eat". A few bait checks later and a fresh eel, my clicker went off, "be patient, let him take it" words of encouragement from Ric. "wait......NOW set the hook!" I did and it was on....several minutes later I had him at the kayak, no cobia, but a 4 foot black tip shark! This defintely falls into the first time ever catagory for me so right now I am totally thrilled. I cut the leader and wished my new friend farewell. Many hours passed after that without much more luck. With the surging waves turning my face a kermit the frog-ish/ sunburn blend, we decided to pack it up and try our luck surfing in. We sat just outside the surf, once again timing the breakers. This time our gear is stowed safely below, and with nothing to lose, we shot through...Land....sweet land....I will never leave your safe, steadiness again, until next time the call of the sea beckons. [grin]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.