Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to try and make it out of the south inlet of Ocracoke and do some bottom fishing. I hear its pretty intimating getting through the inlet between Ocracoke & Portsmouth, any advise on how to best do that? I am in a 19ft cuddy. Also, i dont know where the closest structure is, if anyone would like to share that i'd really appreciate it. heading down this friday. thanks!! Rick

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
I found the inlet swells pretty intimidating the one time I tried to shoot through the inlet. I don't know if I hit it at the wrong time of day or if it is always like that, but it was dang scary when I tucked my tail in and turned around half way through it. They just kept getting bigger the closer I got to the next one. I don't think I would try it blind unless I had a 22' or larger boat or had someone else take me through it and show me the best path. I was in 20' CC.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear that! I tried it when there last week and felt the same, just wasnt worth it. the breakers were coming in and the tide going out, just not safe in my little boat. I did do a couple drifts but only got a small flounder and a couple small sharks. my crew was getting a little green so we got back to teaches hole, which was more productive anyway, but still slow going. One of our guys got a nice flounder, 21' , on the edge of teaches hole. got a few sea bass, ton of small croakers, small blues, and some assorted reef dwellers.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have run out of that inlet a few times in a 12’ Carolina Skiff. It was a wet ride but certainly doable for any seaworthy boat. Maybe the wind was blowing a different way for me, but the chop was a lot more of a problem than large swells.

·
Registered
36 Posts
that guy must be nuts...i've seen a 12ft. carolina skiff sunk in a glassy calm lake. some people will do anything in boats. your a real hard ball cuhollow.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That guy did not go through what you guys went through......I'm from MD and I was checking the board out because I'll be down there in a few weeks and was trying to decide if I wanted to bring the boat.

I've seen Johnboats in the ocean too.................but they better not go too far [grin]

There are always days when ANYTHING can get out.......but if you are an experienced boater you take it for what it IS......'yea, I got out but I don't belong out there.......just a good day'........

With that being said..........can I catch anything from the surf on the OB.....Kitty Hawk.......

Tony

190cc Sea Pro

·
Registered
432 Posts
RICK I DON'T KNOW HOW FAR OUT YOU ARE PLANNING ON GOING, BUT HERE'S A SITE WITH ARTIFICAL REEFS THAT THE NCDMF HAD MADE... http://www.ncfisheries.net/reefs/index.html
YOU CAN ALWAYS CHECK WITH THE RED DRUM TACKLE SHOP IN HATTERAS AND FIND WHERE THE FISH ARE BITTING.

DP
'Harvey's Hookers'
222 Aquasport

1 - 7 of 7 Posts