Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some interesting stuff to think about next time you're out fishing and about to throw a soda can or other "stuff" in the water. (I have been guilty of the soda can thing when offshore.)

Debris - Decomposition Time

Glass Bottle - 1 million years

Monofilament line - 600 years :eek:
Plastic beverage bottle - 450 years
Disposable Diaper - 450 years (never had one of these on board :roflguy: )
Foamed plastic buoy - 80 years
Aluminum Can - 80 to 200 years
Nylon fabric - 50 years
Plastic Bag - 10 to 20 years

Cigarette filter - 1 to 5 years (and people throw these out their car
windows all day long!!) :nono:

Orange Peel - 2 to 5 weeks

Now, how about a banana peel?? :rolleyes:

(Taken from Habitat Hotline Atlantic Fall of 2006 published by the ASMFC)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I once caught a starving trout in Wisconsin that
had a blocked intenstine - by a cigarette butt.
Go to Washington Co. MD, dump and see the 10's of thousands of
Safeway/Giant plastic bags hanging in the trees!!!!
Go to any stream and see the Starbucks cups!
ALGORE should be looking at this!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm not a tree hugger i have been known to p over the side but last year 4 out of times i left the dock i return with someone elses trash, line, lures(thanks), bottle rockets (july 4th)
cig. butts, ect. and some think its all omegas fault

i was in mexico city a couple of weeks ago i just dont want our waters to turn out like theirs EVER!! that place is a shi_ hole

toby

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not just in the water

Today fishing at Rudee with the kids I picked up 4 or 5 rusty hooks off the ground and there is miles of line littering the place. I always try to pick up as much as I can and put it in the trash while waiting for the bite to turn on but it would take a month of Sundays to get it all.

·
Registered
485 Posts
leave it cleaner than you found it...turtles eat the bags and die...ciggy butts can be kept till you get home(just break off the hots)...its easy if you think about it...i once saw a dining room table near the tower...seems to be a "no-brainer" to have a trash bag with you, either on the beach or on the boat...:nono:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.