Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's talk about some 'Force Fishing", 'Light Tackle Jigging" with "Glide in the Tide" and "Walk the Dog" action with an "Official Superfish Thread".

We have had some good threads come up over the last few months about Superfish (Thanks for the last one Capt Tom) I thought we could create an official Superfish Thread where we can aggragee all old posts that people saved from him as well as any stories so we have them all in one place and do not have to go digging all over the place.

I can not get the old WWA posts/threads back, anyone that has Superfish old posts saved, dig into your hard drive archives and please post them in full here. There were some great posts about the adventures he had in Kathmandu and places like that, if you have that stuff please post.

I know this will create some re-posting, but I think it would benefit all to have everything Superfish in one thread.

I'll get things started with what I have:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the first report where Pete Dressler, Superfish, was mentioned. Pete responded in the original thread, but we were not able to dig that up. Thanks to Tom Hughes for finding this on his hard drive.

FISHING REPORT by Tom Hughes March 6, 1999

On Friday, 3/5/99, Pete Dressler took Peter VonMehren and Tom Hughes fishing for striped bass at Calvert Cliffs. We fished 'the rips' located at the warm water discharge. The Chesapeake Bay temperature was 42 degrees and the temperature at the discharge was 50 degrees.

Pete Dressler showed us how to fish one of his special technique using spinning gear spooled with 10# test Fire Line.

'Dressler's Rip Jigging'

With this technique you will be using the current to move and give your lure action. Use a soft plastic bait that does not have much buoyancy. Rig the bait on a V-shaped jig head weighting 1 1/2 or 2 ounces. Two factors must be taken into consideration in sizing the jig head: 1) the speed of the current; and 2) the depth that the lure will be running. Adjust the depth by the weight of the jig head. If you want to catch the larger fish, keep the lure on the bottom.

Cast the lure up or across the current. DO NOT CLOSE THE BAIL-stop the line by putting it under your index finger and pulling it back against the rod handle. Watch the line and after the lure rests on the bottom, lift your rod tip swiftly from 9 o'clock to 11 o'clock.

Here's the tricky part. When you see the lure being pushed by the current open your index finger and let out enough line (usually 3 wraps) so the lure hits the bottom again. This allows the lure to hit the bottom again as the current keeps moving the lure, hopefully in a productive area ('sweat water') on this structure. KEEP A TIGHT LINE throughout the cast.

When the fish hits, lift the rod to set the hook and then close the bail. This technique will take some time to master and can be used in different location throughout the bay.

Lures used: 7" Bass Assassin Sea Shad in Alewife or 5" Bass Assassin Sea Shad in Salt & Pepper Silver Phantom/Chartreuse Tail. http://www.bassassassin.com

The one in this photo is the 5" model.

Jig head: 2 ounce V-shaped. Maryland Tackle, (410) 761-4839, after 5pm, ask for Woody

Equipment Used:
Spinning Rod - Meduim/Heavy Action - Extra Fast Tip - 6 to 17# Test Line - IM6 Graphite
Spinning Reel - Anti-Reverse - Ball Bearing On The Bail - Front Drag - 10# / 100 yds.
Line: 10# Fire Line (low stretch line is a must) with a 3' monofilament leader.

Total striped bass caught was 130 with 110 being between 18" and 35". We fished from 11:45 am until 4 pm. Big fish weighted 25#.

SPECIAL THANKS:
I have been on some fishing trips with Peter VonMehren from December 1998 until now. I have learned how to fish some new and different waters using different techniques from Peter. He introduced me to Pete Dressler.

Without Pete Dressler's expertise and knowledge, the above would not have been possible. I can't thank Pete enough for sharing it with me. It was the most productive striped bass 1/2 day fishing trip I have ever been on.

My arm was sore for 2 days after this trip!

END NOTE:
Tom Hughes and Bill Kassakatis will be guest speakers for the MSSA, Broadneck/Magothy Chapter.

The presentation will cover 'Equipment & Lure Techniques Used To Catch Striped Bass'. There will be a 2' x 4' board with 30 productive lures mounted for your viewing. Techniques use to make these lure productive will be explained. A handout covering equipment and techniques will be available for all who attend.

Some locations where Tom and Bill catch Striped Bass are the Patapsco, Magothy, Severn, South, Chester, and Susquehanna Rivers and the Chesapeake Bay.

FREE and open to the public.
Time: 7:30 PM
Location: American Legion Hall #175, 832 Manhattan Beach Road, Severna Park, MD 21146, (410) 544-2066

Good Fishing,
Tom Hughes

Peter Dressler, Superfish, Force Fishing Described, Posted Sometime in 1999

EQUIPMENT

Trial and error over many, many years has shown that a 6 foot medium action graphite rod seems to work best in jigging. That is not to say that any variation from the standard does not work. Obviously, anything will work but not as well both as to action, length and composition.

Spinning Reels come in various shapes and sizes and all work but not equally well. The trick to jigging (like all fishing) is keeping the rod in your hand and the lure in the water. Experience has shown that a reel weighing greater than 10 ounces causes wrist fatigue and one without the "instant anti-reverse" feature results in gear lash which greatly cuts down on the life of a reel. There is also the matter of balance; the lighter reels add something to the way the rod/reel combination feels in the hand and I have gone to adding butt caps as a sure fire way to assure minumum wrist fatigue.

Fireline (or any one of the new braids) has virtually no stretch and therefore is ideal in our style of fishing. Since using the lightest jig head possible is a given, the low water resistance of these very thin lines makes them a must in proper lure presentation. Mono, (on the other hand) has up to 30% stretch and is too water resistant to properly fish "Force Style." They manufacture Fireline (my personal choice) in weights up to and including 50 pounds. Ten pound test has always worked for me and my fishing companions and we have brought fish to the boat on this stuff weighing well over 30 and even 40 pounds (pictures upon request). It's like Obe Wan told Luke Skywalker; "Trust the Force, Luke, Trust the Force."

All plastics work and from time to time I have used most known to man (and then some). However, I have found shad assassins (and some look alikes) to outfish anything made using Force Techniques. As to colors, they all work but my favorite colors are chartreuse (cloudy water), albino (good all around) and Purple People Eaters (Opening Night) as a close second. I like these lures so much that I have asked my wife to bury me with a 1000 of each both in the 5 and 7 inch sizes. Speaking of size, each seems to work equally well but I favor the 7 inch assassins when specifically targeting larger fish.

All jig heads work but my favorite comes from the hand of our own Dr.Bee who has turned jig making into a labor of love. Trouble is that his heads are so beautifully made that I hate losing any (and therefore use them only when in his company). Other than the custom made jobs, I have found that the "Pope" heads work fine as do the "Gottcha" heads and any other variety of look alike. Experience has taught me that the worst jig in the hands of a master angler will outfish the best head fished by a novice. There is no substitute for experience either in fishing or in love.

TECHNIQUES
Force style fishing involves (but is not limited to) jigging; that is to say, letting the lure (assassin on a jig head) drop down through the water column and retrieving it back with a jerking motion. It has nothing to do with reeling the lure toward the boat after casting; its all jigging motion, usually vertical, with all the twists and/or rod movement one thinks effective.

In addition there is the "glide in the tide" technique from an anchored boat; the "give a flip up the rip" as another,and the "thud in the mud" is also nice. In other words, the various techniques used to fish assassins varies by the time of day, the depth of water and whether or not you are fishing current or if the fish are breaking.

The one constant is that one "jigs" instead of "reels" the lure toward the boat - and in most instances, shad assassins are at the terminal end of the line.

MIND SET
My friends, when all this Force stuff started, it was a way of opening up a reliable fishing technique to all those guys who always wanted to catch fish but were brain washed into thinking that large catches were limited to the few professionals who were for hire or were fishing secret places with even more secretive methods. I spent a lifetime knowing better and I decided to share my years of experience both as a commercial hook and line fisherman and a sport fisherman with anyone interested enough to give my style of light tackle fishing a try.

I came on the board asking nothing except that we all try to help each other in the enjoyment of our sport; it was and is a "one for all and all for one" mind set. And so it has been to this day; I get my reward from seeing so many of you report such wonderful fishing using the Force." I get repaid every time one of the brotherhood comes to the defense of the "Force" when a naysayer takes a shot at one of our persons and/or techniques (without having direct knowledge of either). I get my reward from the many letters and postings which reflect the spirit of the FORCE brotherhood

I have spent time, treasure and emotions to leave something of me behind when time and the tides finally catch up with me. I have only my way of fishing to show for my life; no poems, no music, roads, bridges; nothing but a lifetime of fishing. If just one of you will smile and remember something that the Superfish has taught, I'll feel it a life well spent. And if you want to thank me, help the next guy catch his fair share of fish by telling him about the Force.

The Force is a way of thinking as well as fishing; it is, after all, "a one for all and an all for one" thing.

Tight Lines my Friends, both old and new,
Capt. Peter T. Dressler a.k.a The Superfish

Peter Dressler on the force 11/25/99
I have been receiving more than my usual amount of mail ever since our CBBT adventure, most of it having to do with use of the Force in catching fish. I have always felt that being a part of the Force Brotherhood meant helping each and every interested angler become proficient in the use of our fishing techniques. The below stated offer is my attempt at assuring that no one on this board who wishes to follow the way of the Jedi is left out.

To our Force brothers,
Anyone embracing the Force to the letter (10 lb fireline, 1 ounce jigs and shad assassins fished on six foot lite sticks) and still not catching fish, I, (or one of our assassin masters) will take that angler(s) out for an on the water demonstration of the proper use of the Force.

In our never ending fishing adventures, it is important that no one is left behind or feels left out. An essential element of being a Jedi is a willingness to help the other guy become a satisfied member of our brotherhood.

In this game, sharing is everything; we don't eat well so long as one of our brothers go hungry.

All requests for help will be taken on a first come first served basis.

Master Superfish for the Force

Superfish on the Force Credo, November 1999
Force Credo, we respect and like each other, as to women, we revere and love them (hopefully one at a time), as to whiskey, Sir Jack of Daniels gets the nod but I have heard good things about a few other makes. We also love our flag and country, motherhood and apple pie..."

We respect and like each other (hey, you don't have to like me!)... no strings, no preferences.

I jig plastics and do just fine. I also jig heavy metals ala Hale33 (Carl), love to use my many varied shapes/sizes and colors of bucktails, spoon when the situation's right, troll, and bottom bait fish with single and/or double rigs. I do other fishy things too, but (I think) you may get my drift).

Different situations can call for several different methods of presentation. Let no man here proclaim his better than another, just share his/her own personal preference. We're able to think, learn or ignore if that floats your boat.

We don't have to like each other, but let's respect each other. We are big people whom have acheived in our lives.

Force Brothers and Friends, Been off the board for some time and, in catching up, I realize that many new members have joined who were not with us as the "Force" thing developed. I also notice that some seem to take offense that others seem to treat force fishing as something special, perhaps even arcane.

That was never my intent in introducing "Force Fishing" to the board and/or anywhere else and I am sure that somewhere, someplace, someone else has come up with the same techniques all on their own (without any input from me or the brotherhood).

Having said that, (and with no wish to prescribe to anyone about anything), I want to state that Force style fishing (as described by me) uses specific equipment, suggests specific techniques and follows a certain mind set to differentiate it from LTF (light tackle fishing) which could mean almost anything.
Superfish

Superfish threads of reference:

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Superfish, Walleye Pete, Gerald and I Catch Striped Bass Report w/Pictures

Rewind the clocks to Easter Sunday (April 23, 2000) on the Susquehanna Flats. The wind was howling, the waves were big and it was the first and only time I have taken a wave over the bow of my Parker, unfortunately it got Gerald really wet.

These pictures were lost, but in looking around for some other pictures today, I found them and thought I would post them. Back in 2000 the digital cameras were not great, so that is the reason for the lack of quality.

Despite the big waves and crazy waves, we caught the living daylights out of stripers, a lot of big ones. One of the most memorable days on the flats I have. I think Pete and Gerald will vouch for that;-) :D

Superfish in action

Superfish, Gerald and Pete pose for a picture

Superfish

Gerald and Superfish light tackle jigging away

more pictures from this day located here in the Easter Fishing I will never forget thread.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Force (a TFer former WWAer wrote this)
Developed by master angler Captain Peter Dressler, (Superfish), this technique combines using mostly freshwater tackle to catch the most aggressive rockfish. However, after having been field tested, the force has been proven to consistently catch anything that roams the bay, including rockfish, trout, croaker, spot, toadfish, white perch, even flounder. In my opinion, it is the most exciting method of fishing ever.

The basis of the force are bass assassins, 10lb test fireline, and a 6ft medium or medium heavy rod and reel weighting 10 ounces or less. (A Shimano 2000 size reel is ideal).

There are many techniques for the force, but two are used more broadly than anything others. One is jigging, and one is swimming technique. The jigging is basically what the title says. As you drift over an area, drop the assassin straight down, and jig it off the bottom. This will produce a up and down motion very desirable to hungry fish.

The second technique requires a little more refinement. This technique is used when the fish are not actively feeding, or when they are to picky to hit the jigging assassins. This sometimes requires a lighter jighead and is intended to mimic a wounded baitfish. Cast out the assassin, and let it drop to the desired depth. (a ½ ounce jighead falls about one foot per second) When at the desired depth, lift your rod slowly for about the mine to eleven o'clock position and let the assassin slowly float down. This requires a lot of practice. This technique was proven time and time again to out fish the conventional jigging technique.

Another technique is the "glide in the tide." It is even more docile presentation the the swimming technique. It was discovered while an assassin was just sorta sitting on the bottom while bottom fishing for croaker.

1. Tie on a 3 way swivel to your line. (Or, a regular swivel held into place between 2 plastic beads, held by 2 knots in a stiff mono leader. The bottom of that leader should extend 8" past the swivel and have a snap. Forgo #2 if you use this method)
2. On one leg of the 3 way, attach an 8" piece of mono with a snap on the end of it. To this, you will attach whatever weight of trolling sinker you need to hold bottom in a fast moving current.
3. On the other leg, attach 2-3' of 25# leader material. To this, you will attach a 4/0 offset worm hook, using a loop knot. (important) Rig an assassin or glass shad on the hook so that it lays straight. Laying straight is VERY important, otherwise the lure will spin.

What you do, I simply drop the rig straight down to the bottom, and then lift up until the sinker just lifts off of the bottom a little. This allows you to feel the strike. Put the rod in a holder. A long, limber rod works best for this.

What happens, is that the assassin flutters around at the end of it's tether, very much like a minnow hooked through the lips. It literally "glides in the tide!" The faster the current, the better it works.y behind the boat, letting the lure drift to the bottom and keeping it there by allowing line to constantly spool off your index finger with the bail open, keeping the lure in the strike zone. The idea is to let the assassin ride ot float in the tide with very little vertical jigging action. The motion of the boat being moved by the wind slow trolled the lure just off the bottom and proved irresistible to fish"

In either technique, you will want to rig the assassin the same way. Thread it on the jighead till it first starts to reach the belly slot. Then, make a half twist and go outh through the top. The most important thing to look out for is that there are no twists in the assassin. The "rat tail" should move freely through the water.

There are many places to get force items. The jigheads that work best are either Gotcha's or the pregnant minnow style. Pregnant minnow style jigheads can be purchased off the internet from Jim Pople. You will want to get some in ½, 1, and 11/2 ounce. Below is a picture of the jigheads from Jim Pope.

The bass assassins themselves can be bought at many stores locally, or purchased off the internet. The tackle shop at Worldwide Angler has the assassins, or you can go directly to the bass assassin website. Three pictures seem to work the best. Albino, Opening night, and chartreuse. Pictured below are the pictures of the colors.

You will want to tie these lures with a barrel swivel, about an 18" leader of 25lb to 30 lb mono, tied with some sort of loop know to the jighead. If you tie a bowline, the knot will slip under extreme pressure, and when snagged on the bottom, many times the jighead is the only thing lost .. which is good.

The rod should be highly sensitive, IM-7 or better. An excellent combo is the Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier combo, or the more cost effective Plfeuger summit rods and reels. The reel should be very light since jigging all day can put quite a bit of stress on the wrists and shoulders. The reels should also have a very smooth drag, the most important of all features you'll want in a reel. Another nice feature is an infinite anti-reverse. This is important because it will protect the reel. The jigging will mash the gears of a normal reel. The Bass Pro, Pro Qualifiers, Pleuger, Summits, or Shimano Sahara 2000 are good bets on reels for the force.

These reels should be maintained each time you go fishing in salt water. You should thoroughly clean the reels with WD-40 and then apply a coat of grease to the gears each time the reels are used. It will increase the amount of time you get out of these reels.

Another key component of the force is the line. A superbraid is very beneficial. It will decrease the amount of jigging you will have to do since there is no stretch. It will also increase the sensitivity and feel of the lure. I prefer Fireline, with Cabelas Ripcord being second. Fireline is strong, and easy to cast and cheap. It however is not very abrasion resistant. This is the main reason for using a good mono leader. Ripcord is thinner, stronger and more abrasion resistant, but is more expensive. A mono leader should still be used.

I hope this has helped you, it has revolutionized fishing for me.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Superfish, January 27, 2000

Guys,
A long time ago I used to travel a lot to make a livin' and on one of these trips I visited LA As is always the case, I used my early morning free time to go fishing (before the office opened), this time at the Santa Monica pier for an early shot at some fish hanging around the docks. I hit that place before sunrise, fished several hours and had nothing except a couple of lonely trash fish.

Along comes this big black lady with a little white hat, wearing sneakers turned flat from the weight of her body, with a face of a faded movie star. She was pulling an old grocery cart with an attached golf bag that housed two ancient fishing rods, a huge umbrella and some other paraphenalia. She stopped right in front of me, waved a little hello and sat down on a bench, placed there for the public.

"Catch much?", she asked, "Nothing much!", I replied. "How about movin' and give a lady a chance?", she said, flashing this incredible smile. Sensing her friendliness, I asked, "What will you give me?". "What do you want?", she replied. I smiled and said, "A kiss?". With that she got up and kissed my cheek and we became instant friends, me in my suit pants, open shirt and tie, and that lady in her time worn dress.

She pulled out the stouter of the rods, attached a treble hook and weight and dangled it into the water, snatching the hook against the pilings trying to grab a cluster of mussels that covered the structure. Once hooked, she pulled and pulled at the mussels until she freed a cluster larger than a fishing cap. Now came out the second and somewhat smaller rod to which she attached a portion of the mussels about the size of a large fist. To this she tied in a small length of leader with a tiny hook of about the size used in fishing salmon eggs. This was baited with a single small bi-valve and lowered carefully about ten feet below the water.

I watched the rod tip as the line moved ever so slightly. My friend began reeling vigorously, bringing up 2 beautiful 2 lb. sand perch. I stood up and applauded at what was certainly a wonderful happening and she acknowledged my excitement by a little laugh and a smile. And so it went for about an hour during which she caught at least a dozen fish with her special cluster trick. Seems that the fish had learned to avoid a baited hook but not one fished among the mussels.

My watch told me it was time to leave for the office. "I'll never forget this day!", I said as I prepared to go. "You mean the kiss....or the fishin'?", she asked. "Both!", I replied, "both were quite wonderful, but then I've had kisses before but never seen fishin' like that!"

And true to my word, I still remember that wonderful lady and her mussel cluster trick as I sit here on a snowy day and replay the good times of my life.
Superfish

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fishing Trip with Superfish, Rob Holtz, Carolyn Brown, Brandon White told by Rob in 2005

Six years ago Carolyn and I had the pleasure of taking Brandon (of TF ownership fame) and the northern legend Superfish on a fishing trip. This Superfish character had taken the old WWA board by storm and had been in the middle of many a controversy, I was skeptical to say the least. I thought to myself this is going to be one of those trips where we get to hear a so called legend tell us all night long why he is a legend in his own mind.

This trip was taken during the Spring time at night and our target was Red Drum on the moving current with a switch to Gray Trout as the current slowed. We had been out 4 of the previous 7 nights with trips similar to this and absolutely burned the fish up. I figured that at least the fishing would be good even if the company was going to be less than desirable. Can you tell I had a preconceived idea about how this Superfish character was going to be?

We met at the marina, loaded up the boat and headed for the shoals. Once we were anchored up in our spot we started getting better acquainted. On first glance this Superfish character seemed just like any other weathered old salt, you could see the years of experience in his eyes although he really didn't say much. The Drum bite never did turn on for us so we decided to make the move to trout fishing at about 11pm.

Once we were set up in the trout hole we started casting and catching. The catching was pretty much nonstop on decent trout in the 5 - 7 lb. range. We continued catching fish for the next several hours before 2 of our crew decided to get some shut eye up on the bow of the boat. This left Superfish and I in the back of the boat by ourselves still catching fish. As the hours passed by the story telling continued to get better and the fish never stopped biting. At one point about 4 AM I stopped for a minute to reflect. Here I was a 33 year old ox standing side by side with a man in at least his 70's that was going just as strong as I was. Altough we were both pretty much beat neither one of us was going to let the other fisherman catch the last fish and claim that he outlasted the other. We continued catching and telling each other stories of past fishing excursions and wild adventures that we had been through during our lives.

The next morning, as the sun slowly poked its warming eyes over the horizon, the other members of our crew awoke to see the two of us still standing at the back of that boat casting and catching as if we had just started fishing. To tell you the truth I can't even remember which one of us ended up making the last cast. The one thing I do remember thinking to myself as we pointed the bow towards the barn was that I had made a new friend.

My response to Rob's story
Rob,

I remember that night well. If you would not have gone to sleep and been in the back catching with Superfish and I you would have remembered more of that night...lol... I am kidding; anyone who has fished with me knows I like to take a nap at some point[wink]
The truth is that Superfish outlasted me on that trip. When I woke up on the bow I strolled to the back and all I saw were two guys buried in fish with smiles on their faces and casting continuing. I have no idea how Superfish and Rob stayed up that whole night in that nasty weather, but they did and they kept on catching. That scene still is in my mind like it was yesterday and the sight summarized a passion for fishing that we all have.

It's funny that W. Pete posted because it was many years ago on an Easter morning that W. Pete, Superfish, Gerald and I packed into my Parker and fished the Susquehanna flats on one of the nastiest days I have ever fished up there. I called and said, "Guys, I do not know, it looks like it is going to be bad, what do you think?" W.Pete said, "Superfish says let's do it, there are big fish waiting for us." We did do it and we did catch a lot and big fish that day. It was the only day I have ever taken water over the bow on my Parker on the flats. While all the fish we caught were fun and big, it was more about the passion of the Superfish that really got us out there that day and what made it so memorable.

I think Pete (aka Superfish) is a great fishermen and some of his posts did stir the pot, make some mad etc but seeing through all that I think the Superfish character that he created showed the real passion about what fishing is about. I hope some of that passion and commrodary can rub off on all the boards as the winter comes to a close and we all get back on the water and share fishing reports, stories, tips etc on Tidal Fish.
Brandon

Original post where Rob posted this story of this incredible fishing adventure is here

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yes... Thanks Brandon... I pretty much learned to jig fish with Gerald... he changed the way I fish...I have heard alot of stories about "SuperFish" ... And Pete would be proud as Gerald handed that on to me almost pure Force style... right down to the "teaching part"... I once remarked to Gerald about a boat drifting too close to us and he said..." If he gets alittle closer I teach him to catch them ,too!"... as he stuck another fish... pure force right there!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Cormorants are getting to be the hot ticket here on the lower Patuxent. We install a brass ring around their neck so they cannot swallow the fish they catch. They bring it back, we give them a small piece of fish that will go down their throat and send them out again.

I think it is the next big thing....

(remember, you heard it here first!)

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gerald,
I had to laugh when I read "Ping, Pang and Pong fishing hookless w/ a chalk line". I hope someone has that saved. Between that and Katmandu, man that's some good reading that will only make you laugh.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Superfish on Floundering Around

I use a six foot heavy action rod with a trigger handle of about ten
inches. The rod is normal in that it is fairly limber rather than more in
the nature of a "stick" type usually associated with striper trolling and
weights of up to 20 ounces. Ideally, the rod should be stiff but thin and
have a long handle for the proper leverage in bringing in a fish.

While most conventional reels work, my favorite is an Abu Garcia
#5500, costing about $60, filled with 20 pound test ( or stronger)
fireline. The reel is tough enough to handle the 10 ounces of lead ( and
sometimes more) and the constant wear and tear of bring fish in over
the transom day in and day out.

The best bait for flounder is either a large bull minnow and/or some kind
of strip bait. Long squid strips( 7 to 10 inches long 1/2 inch wide) work
well but squid of this size are hard to find. Flounder belly of is easier to
get and works just as well, both the white side and the dark. Problem
here is cutting the strips thin enough to flutter while being trolled ( the
dark side is twice as thick as the white). Also note that only legal size
flounder should be used for bait and one is required to keep the carcass
from which the strips have been cut ( if checked by the DNR).

Best rig by far is the simple one; hook with nothing else. I use a #1/0
short shank hook with three ft. of leader comming off a three way
swivel 8 inches above the weight. Leader material of thirty to fifty
pounds does well because flounder are not leader shy and the heaver
pound test materials keep tangles to a minimum.

Let's face it, flounder are some of the tastiest and most stupid fish in
the water; but they are very fast off the mark ( going after prey)and
once captured, they hate to let go of anything that they can eat.

Bad for them, good for us because it means that if we can find them,
we can catch 'em without too much trouble. The whole trick is in
locating the fish and my trolling techniques help you do that by allowing
you to cover more water in the same alloted time than if you were plain
drifting( unless the wind and tide are going in the same direction).

Once understood, my methods will allow anyone with a trolling motor to
become very good (if not expert)at catching flounder in a matter of
hours.

Superfish who loves flounder catchin'

...more
Ah yes, the "right" speed is everything in flounder trolling and it can
vary with depth and tide strength. It's more a matter of "feel"; that is
to say after years of doing it right and/or wrong, one gets a feeling
when the weight with bait attached is moving along the bottom at a
speed that the flounder will find to their liking. I know when I have it
right without ever looking at a speedometer.

Having said that, let me offer the following suggestions:

1. I use 8 to 10 ounces of lead regardless of the water depth. I adjust
my trolling speed to keep the weight at about a 45 degree angle to the
boat. If less than that, movement is too slow and if more, the line is
too far from the boat and harder to manage. Of the two, it's better to
be back too far rather than too close. Speed does not seem to have
too much affect on the flounder's willingness to strike but it follows that
fishing 100 feet behind the boat makes it more difficult to feel a hit.

2. Use fireline 20 pound test or higher. It has no stretch and it's low
water resistance imparts an unbelievable "feel" to a flounder mouthing a
bait.(you actually sense the line getting heavier when a fish grabs the
bait and starts swimming along with your boat)

3. Use no more than a #1/0 hook, preferabley a short shank version.
The smaller hook allows the minnow to swim more naturally. When using
flounder belly, cut it in 5 to 7 inch strips perhaps 3/4 inch wide. When
using the dark side, shave it down so the strip is thinner than when first
filleted off the fish ( the dark side of the flounder is thicker and does
not flutter as well as the thinner white without this additional step).
And remember, you can only use flounder belly from a legal fish and the
carcass must be on board if the DNR checks your catch.

Once mastered, trolling for flounder will open up a whole new way of
looking at these fish and near empty coolers will be a thing of the past.

Superfish

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Hi B,

shouldn't this be made 'permanent' at the top of 1st page? thx ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts