Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been questions circulating about the upcoming 2009 Winter Pickerel tournament so I wanted to start the official thread. The details of the Pickeral Tournament are pretty much the same as in years past with a few minor variations (20 inch minimum, dates of the contest). I am volunteering to be the coordinator for this event and Rod is keeping the leaderboard stats. As Skip stated, the entry fee of $10 will be due no later than our next meeting on Wednesday, January 7th. If you cannot make it to the meeting you can mail me your entry fee. Just shoot me a PM and I will send you my mailing address. Please post in this thread your intentions to participate in the the Pickerel Tournament. Good luck and happy gatoring!!!!

**Reminder please post all pictures of Pickerel that you catch, but only those fish over 20" will be included on the leaderboard**.

2009 SRRKC PICKEREL DERBY

Dates: January 1 - March 15
Type: 2.5-Month; Catch & Release only; Post photo showing length (20 inch minimum to make the leader board - all photos must be clearly legible)
Entry Fee: $10 / person
Prizes:
1. Single Longest Pickerel: 40%
2. Longest Aggregate of 3: 40%
3. SRRKC Fund: 20%
Tournament Coordinator: attml
Leaderboard Guru: FishingRod

Demarcation Line: Tolly Point (land) to Hacketts Point (land) - includes Whitehall Bay and tributaries

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
In.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
In.

Dang.......I was hoping to be able to fish the Magothy......1/2 mile to the comm. ramp.....Oh Well, good luck everyone.
We can still have a friendly inter-river rivalry, you know, for braggin' rights. Post what you get smellslikefish.

I am in! Greg & Chris you are going down this year!!!
Mark, there's no pressure on us in this tourney. It's all on you and the rest of the guys to have your name mentioned with ours. We are past champions, along with unclejon, and you'll never take that from us. :D

I'll still give her a shot, especially if my wife lets me use her fly fishing machine. There are lots of virgin pickerel waters out there that are never fished in those 3 months of the year...until now. :yes: That is, of course, unless the river is frozen.

Hopefully, I'll see you guys on the seventh.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm in, but I'll be out of town on the 7th... I plan to be "stealth fishing" while you guys are sitting around drinking beer!!!! :beergood:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am in. Got to check on my crew. And I plan on throwing one bait, and one bait only, all season. This may or may not be it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And I plan on throwing one bait, and one bait only, all season. This may or may not be it.
:D:D:D:D:D

I am not sure, but as I recall Goose tried to use a squirl once! :D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Disregard that last post. Planned on copying something else. :pp

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am in
Gonna get me a measuring thingy for the yak
see you all on the 7th, if not on the river before then.

Dave

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I'm in for the tournament, although I don't know when I will actually feel up to fishing. :ibeillin:

I had a routine hernia repair surgery on Nov 17 that healed up well for a week and a half. Then for most of Thanksgiving weekend, I landed in the emergency room, with a large painful hematoma (internal pocket of blood) that must have come from a loosened suture. :((

My abdomen started to feel pretty good after another week, then I left for two weeks in South America. During the first week, I made numerous flights and hotel changes, meaning that I had to move my luggage quite a bit. During the second weeks, I was on my feet walking for several hours each day. Even now, at about 6 weeks after the initial surgery (generally this is the date after which one can return to normal activity) my abdomen is quite tender and I need to avoid quick motions (like casting a rod) or lifting (no kayak for many more weeks).

I hope you competitive anglers will save a few pickerel for me -- feed them lots of minnows so I can catch a few big ones near the end of the tournament.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Hope you're back to normal soon, John.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
693 Posts
Mark, I'm in. See you guys on 1/7.

John, you sound like me last year (hernia repair on 1/3/08). Don't worry. Those fish will only get bigger, & March is a great month for 'em. If you're not yup to the kayak then, you're welcome in First Light (my Whaler). Just remember, as we say in Richmond, "Big Possum walks late."

Best, JPW

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Man, I hope I don't get old. :D

I don't know who would have it worse: Me, not being able to get out on the water; or my wife, having to deal with me not being able to get out on the water.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
IN, and I gots some tricks up my sleeve. Remember fellas January's a new year and it never fails that i forget i need to renew my license as i drive to my local fishin' hole. Always delays me an hour.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
IN, and I gots some tricks up my sleeve.
What? A hairy armpit's working this year? :D

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A lot of people believe that the annual dropping of the ball represents the end of the old calendar year and the beginning of the new. Little do the masses know that the true meaning of the event signifies the shotgun start of the Annual SRRKC Pickeralpalousa. Who will be crowned this year's Pickerel Pimp? My Money is on the Bald Guy with the bad jokes!!! Don't forget to state your intentions to participate if you haven't done so already! :fishing2:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts