Tidal Fish Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
We got about two - three inches. Once again, it's hard to tell with the crazy wind blowing the snow.

And now for the nature talk.

The Grackles, Cow birds, Red wings and common black birds show up in mass in the spring and fall. They can empty all my feeders in less than a day. Not my favorite birds.

We have lots of Blue Birds around here. They will only come to a tray feeder that has Meal worms in it. They will empty it in no time. Meal worms are expensive, so they only get some once in a while.

Up until last year I had seen ever woodpecker we have on the east coast except a Red Headed. Then suddenly a pair showed up in our neighborhood. They stuck around for a few days and then left. Since then, I have discovered that I can see them if I go to an area that is heavily wooded with mature pines. Cool birds.
not to cool when your house is cedar .

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
But phil climate change has been going on since the beginning of time you can’t stop mother nature.🌍🥶🥵

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got about two inches. North side of South River off Riva Rd. Roads are clear and dry.
I don’t understand the statement “not cool if you have a cedar house”
My house is cedar and has been since I built in 1973.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
I got about two inches. North side of South River off Riva Rd. Roads are clear and dry.
Woodpeckers ofter peck holes in Cedar houses looking for insects...... Gary

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
wood peckers tare the eves up just replaced 2 k worth of western red wood cedar from wood pecker damage and stinkin carpenter bees

·
Registered
315 Posts
Late report from Colesville ~ 4". Nothing noteworthy on the wildlife front either. Going to clear some channels tomorrow for the forecast rain coming on Sunday. I can see some folks playing bumper cars Monday AM with the forecast lows Sunday into Monday.

·
Registered
324 Posts
As much as I love nature, I draw the line at the threshold, attic, crawl space or any other part of the house that they may choose to destroy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Grey Mesh Font Wire fencing Metal
Grey Mesh Font Wire fencing Metal
My cat swatted down this bird today. Second time same kind of bird. He just sat in the garden for hours. I tried to shoo him but he wouldn’t fly away. Since it’s so cold out I put him up for the night inside. I’ll try and let him go tomorrow. The last one I cornered it in a box at the house so nothing could get to him. When I got home from work the next day it was gone. I’ll keep you posted

·
Registered
315 Posts
View attachment 280551 View attachment 280551 My cat swatted down this bird today. Second time same kind of bird. He just sat in the garden for hours. I tried to shoo him but he wouldn’t fly away. Since it’s so cold out I put him up for the night inside. I’ll try and let him go tomorrow. The last one I cornered it in a box at the house so nothing could get to him. When I got home from work the next day it was gone. I’ll keep you posted

Did Sylvester burp up any feathers?;)

Good on you. Not 100% but looks like a yellow finch.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Speaking of nature, we had a good number of praying mantises around the house this past year. Late fall, I saw one laying a sack of eggs on a plant on our deck. Right now, the sack is sitting in my shed. Looking forward to watching them hatch this spring. It's really quite amazing when it happens. You can actually buy a sack of eggs on Amazon. Lots of cool You Tubes on it. Problem is, if you confine them in an enclosure they will eventually start to eat each other. It's a mad, mad, mad world we live in.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Speaking of nature, we had a good number of praying mantises around the house this past year. Late fall, I saw one laying a sack of eggs on a plant on our deck. Right now, the sack is sitting in my shed. Looking forward to watching them hatch this spring. It's really quite amazing when it happens. You can actually buy a sack of eggs on Amazon. Lots of cool You Tubes on it. Problem is, if you confine them in an enclosure they will eventually start to eat each other. It's a mad, mad, mad world we live in.
What do you suppose those that walk upright would do in a similar situation? Mad indeed...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
ok, if you decide to, please let me know. Hate to see you leave here because of anything. I’d prefer to follow you if I could

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
ok, if you decide to, please let me know. Hate to see you leave here because of anything. I’d prefer to follow you if I could
I was a tidal fish member back when Brandon first started the sight I left because of health conditions I re joined last year I hope to keep up with weather forecast thru March as January will be well below normal overall with a relaxation in the cold in early February but a brutal end to winter late February and March with a least one big blizzard.
Look at some of my old post from 8-10 years ago I predicted major snowstorms weeks in advance before anyone did a lot of time and research

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
I was a tidal fish member back when Brandon first started the sight I left because of health conditions I re joined last year I hope to keep up with weather forecast thru March as January will be well below normal overall with a relaxation in the cold in early February but a brutal end to winter late February and March with a least one big blizzard.
Look at some of my old post from 8-10 years ago I predicted major snowstorms weeks in advance before anyone did a lot of time and research
Phil, Do I have your current phone#. Last two are 93........... Gary

41 - 60 of 74 Posts