Tidal Fish Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Sweet I鈥檓 not seeing any deer during shooting light morning or evening it鈥檚 been a terrible year where I hunt. October was crazy good lots of bucks just no shooters except a monster 12 at 60 yards that got a pass not an ethical shot

Registered
Sweet I鈥檓 not seeing any deer during shooting light morning or evening it鈥檚 been a terrible year where I hunt. October was crazy good lots of bucks just no shooters except a monster 12 at 60 yards that got a pass not an ethical shot
he came to my corn pile. some call it cheating I call it eating.

Registered
Great deer. Corn piles help more animals than the one you take off it occasionally. Gets critters through tough nights like last night.

Nice buck! Are the antlers loose?

Thanks for posting

Registered
Great deer. Corn piles help more animals than the one you take off it occasionally. Gets critters through tough nights like last night.

Nice buck! Are the antlers loose?

Thanks for posting
thanks not yet being a retired master taxidermist that wouldn鈥檛 b a problem馃

Registered
I remember a few years back, a friend of mine shot a huge 10 point during the late gun, went to grab the alters to drag and off they came.

Registered
Speaking of birds, my favorite by far was the male wild turkey who lived on our property when we moved in. He finally died (old age -- 13.5 years) a couple years ago. The previous owner told us that he came here as a juvenile with two females. The females both died a couple years before we moved in, so the male adopted us. When I worked from home, he would come to my office window and peck on it until I came out. We fed him occasionally (seeds, berries....of course my wife would buy the most expensive, organic berries). But mostly he just liked our company. Sometimes I'd take my laptop and work outside; he'd walk out of the woods and just sit next to me, making all sorts of cool "purring" noises. Once my son and his friends were playing with nerf guns in the yard and the turkey was right in there with them, running back and forth, gobbling, clucking, all lit up in his best colors.

He was huge, even for a turkey -- like a velociraptor stalking around the property. He chased after a fox once. My wife got a kick when burley "outdoorsmen" contractors would come over and call her from their truck asking if it's safe to come out. The turkey often ran up to new vehicles out of curiosity. He was incredibly intelligent (more than out cats, I suspect). When he died, it hit us harder than when one of our pets die since we knew we'd probably never have a relationship like that again with a wild animal. We had a few females show up last summer, but they didn't stick around.

Here's one of the better picture I took of him.
Turkey Bird Plant Phasianidae Wild turkey

Registered
Speaking of birds, my favorite by far was the male wild turkey who lived on our property when we moved in. He finally died (old age -- 13.5 years) a couple years ago. The previous owner told us that he came here as a juvenile with two females. The females both died a couple years before we moved in, so the male adopted us. When I worked from home, he would come to my office window and peck on it until I came out. We fed him occasionally (seeds, berries....of course my wife would buy the most expensive, organic berries). But mostly he just liked our company. Sometimes I'd take my laptop and work outside; he'd walk out of the woods and just sit next to me, making all sorts of cool "purring" noises. Once my son and his friends were playing with nerf guns in the yard and the turkey was right in there with them, running back and forth, gobbling, clucking, all lit up in his best colors.

He was huge, even for a turkey -- like a velociraptor stalking around the property. He chased after a fox once. My wife got a kick when burley "outdoorsmen" contractors would come over and call her from their truck asking if it's safe to come out. The turkey often ran up to new vehicles out of curiosity. He was incredibly intelligent (more than out cats, I suspect). When he died, it hit us harder than when one of our pets die since we knew we'd probably never have a relationship like that again with a wild animal. We had a few females show up last summer, but they didn't stick around.

Here's one of the better picture I took of him. View attachment 280557
That sir makes me misty eyed. Not unusual by many standards, but I had a grey squirrel that came out of the woods when called by name. That relationship lasted only 3 years. Have no interest in "training" another.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts