Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading back to Norfolk for 4 weeks (monday), and wanted to do a rookie offshore(ish) trip one weekend while Im up here.

My offshore experience is limited at best, shark fishing mostly, but would like to troll if I could. Any ideas on what/where to fish if I ran out of Rudee. My boat is a Sailfish 2360 w/single F250, so range could be an issue w/o twins even though I can hold 150gal of gas I would think for safetys sake about 30-50miles is my max for distance out (but Im not against buddy boating to venture further!!)

Anyway, Im pretty new to bluewater fishing, but Im just curious what may be biting out of Rudee late Oct early Nov.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
919 Posts
Rockin-n-freakin-Roll Man!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

I just started going offshore-in-my-first-new-boat this past year. 24-fter with single 250 and 125gal gas tank. Man............it sucked.

Just kidding. The big problem was that the yellowfin and bluefin forgot to come here. We did catch the snot out of the mahi mahi though.

Your boatsize ain't the problem. Your tank's plenty oversized (you ain't gonna use more than half of it, even going to the canyon). Your single engine (is it new) has it's own benefits.

Distance offshore really is not the issue. Hot Dog is 40m. 21fm finger is 47m. Hambone is 51m. Wayne's World is roughly 64m. Norfolk Canyon is just a little further at 70m. Cigar is 62m.

My opinion: don't go anywhere unless it's calm (5-10kt wind, seas LESS than 2-3 ft, and NO winds from the E, NE, or SE). If it's calm and you're going through all the trouble to get everything ready (gear, gas, bait, helpers, etc) then the difference between 40 and 70m is not a big deal. If the weather is not so calm, then the whole trip can suck in a 24ft boat; you'll get the feeling you're just trying to prove you can get out there and back.

Ok....I take that back. Distance is a factor. 40miles ain't so far out of Rudee, but if you're having to go 60-70 miles out (ie, no action at the Hot Dog), why not just drive to Oregon Inlet and put in there, and the boatride is still only 38 miles to the action. IT'S QUICKER and saves alot of boat gas and your not as worn out at the end of the day. Lot's more boats to follow out there. Usually more action. You've go the inlet to deal with though.

Other people can comment on deep-dropping. I went out there prepared to do this but, luckily, I usually seemed to get caught up in the mahi mahi.

A lot of people are probably going to reply to your post with comments re: safety, so I will first.
--> watch the weather and respect it (but never believe the weatherman though; he lies)
--> DSC radio (with 8 ft antenna, you'll hear alot more)
--> get a good GPS and know how to work it; progam it BEFORE you go out there)
--> get an EPIRP
--> Radar and such a bad idea esp. when going out into the ocean at 4am/dark
--> liferaft (this is the one thing I don't have yet)

I'm going outta OI next week if the weather will lay down; it's looking pretty sucky.

Oh, yeah. One more thing. Offshore fishing = $$$.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
MOST IMPORTANT FUEL BURN NO IT! RULE: 1/4 OUT, 1/4 TROLL, 1/4 IN, AND 1/4 IF THE S#!T HITS THE FAN!

MAKE SURE YOUR BAITS ARE SWIMMING:D

BE SAFE

DO A SEARCH ON HERE FOR SMALL BOAT OFFSHORE. tHERE IS A LOT OF HELPFUL INFO THERE!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, for some reason my browser keeps reloading, so Im not typing a long response for a 4th time......(WTF???)

Gonna keep reading up on the style/techniques etc on fishing out of this area, but for the most part anything outside the 3nm line is new to me around here!!

Hopefully this reply with post....WITHOUT reloading blank!!??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts