Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know of a good source for offshore fishing maps/charts for the VA coast. Also outer banks area would be nice.

I am looking for structure and wrecks with coordinates if possibe. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

mark

·
Registered
65 Posts
OK this is not working. Put www in front of all that and take out the spaces and you'll get the website. Sorry, I don't know what is going on.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Nice Map!

Mike,
That's nice BUT are the numbers good and reliable?:cool:
Even some numbers that TFer's have posted before or referred us to have been off.:yes:
Regards

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Before you run around and burn fuel check the numbers with someone that is willing to help you with the RIGHT NUMBERS. The seagull map shown in the previous responce is good for a general location but most of the wreck marks are not correct. I too am fairly new at wrecking and have burned lots of fuel to finally locate a mark that holds fish. You will find out that you must do some exploring and you will have days you end up with a big fat skunk in the boat. If you keep at it you'll be successful but it does not come easy!! There are numerous places you can get wreck marks online but most are not accurate. A lot of people helped me along and I can help you with some basics if you would like send me a pm. Of course you know there are some spots that will not be given out due to instant death threats from others!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
21 and 26 mile hill

Mike,

I know it depends on the weather, but what is your feeling abut me running my 20' proline out to the hills this summer for a chance at some tuna. I finally have a second boat that can run with me.
Ray

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Mike,

I know it depends on the weather, but what is your feeling abut me running my 20' proline out to the hills this summer for a chance at some tuna. I finally have a second boat that can run with me.
Ray
Ray, I am by no means an expert but let me ask this. What do you figure your range to be on an unpredicted 4-5 foot waves with a 4 second interval where you can hardly stay on plane at 20 knots? You would probably not launch under these conditions but they may turn on you while you are out.

What experience do you have going nearshore (say 20-30 miles out)? Might try some shorter runs to verify your range before venturing out too far.

Personally, if I had a 20 foot boat, I would likely launch out of OI or Hatteras on very good weather days. The run is much shorter to the tuna grounds which equates to a shorter distance back to the inlet should things turn snotty.

But with the right safety gear, including an EPIRB, on a good weather day with a buddy boat, I would consider it on a 20 footer if it had the range (1/3 out, 1/3 back, 1/3 in reserve).

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Do yourself a favor and charter a boat or HO with someone... it ain't worth the risk to go offshore tuna fishing in a 20' boat. IT's JUST A TUNA... not something worthy of placing yourself at that level of risk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts