Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i just wanted some opinions on my classified posting here for an offshore penn international ii reels and custom rod collection. I have them posted on the hampton roads craigs list as well with no responses. My husband was a master angler and he spent thousands of dollars on these. He passed away three years ago and i had some of his closest fishing buddies help me price them. Am i asking too much for these or posting them for sale here on the classifieds the best place?? If anyone has the time to look at this listing i would appreciate some feedback like where would be the best place to get these sold with a fair price (other than ebay which will be a last resort for me) i am from the hampton roads- virginia beach area. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hi, First, sorry about the loss of your husband and fellow fisherman. I don't think your rod/reels are way over priced, but on the high end unless in perfect condition. The current economy is not helping either I'm sure. As a reference, you can buy the new V series 80 wides for about $800 and the 50 wides for about $600 each. I cant tell much from the pics about the rods. If they were high end rods with all roller guides, they would bring a premium, but they appear to be ceramic guides with maybe roller tips. Doesn't mean they're not decent rods, but most will be looking at the price based on the reels alone.

My recomendation would be to show some better close up pics of the reels and rods and maybe lower the price about 10% if you want to sell quickly. Might also think about a little bigger discount if someone buys all as a package. Finally, I would not think of EBAY as only a last resort. You open to a much larger set of buyers there and you can set a min. bid price. Every time I ever bid on used offshore tackle, I always lost the bid and was shocked at how the often brought close to retail on the used stuff. Good luck. I would make an offer, but my wife gets to buy more shoes whenever I buy more tackle and her closet is full!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for info Jim it is so right on with the current economy and yes there has been those upgrades on the reels. But I can assure anyone interested in them that the rods were custom made by him and a buddy who ran a bait and tackle shop as I told a couple of guys via PM that was one of his many hobbies along with repairing reels. I did look up on Boaters world.com this past spring and caught a sale ad on a 80TW with a custom rod and it was about 1200.00 but it was no longer in stock because of the V's that came out to take it's place. I would be willing to sell them at a realistic and fair price. I can try to get a better picture of the rods but the reels if you click on the thumbnail pictures in the classified listing it with super size it so you can see it close up. I don't know the exact material used to build the rods but I can make it a point to find out. All I know is he spent a fortune on this collection and he took meticulous care of them. I am just a little leary of using EBAY but I am not ruling it out and I agree with the benefits of opening it up to a bigger crowd of buyers. But I also want them to go to a good home and to somebody who can truly appreciate them.

Thanks for the laugh as I can relate to your wife. I used to do that to Bob when I saw a new toy come his way!

Terri

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Your welcome Terri,

I think some of the info you just shared about custom rods built buy your husband will help in the sale. The one thing people are looking for that is hard to see even in your close up shots is scratches, also know as "boat rash". A few scratches are normal and expected. None, will bring a premium, as a lot will drop their value. They look to be in great shape, but you need to be able to show that a little better in close up photos to bring the best price. Again, good luck. I might get in trouble for this, but if you PM me, I'll you give another sight you might want to list them on as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after about a week of researching prices on various resources and some very helpful advice from some members here I am going to reduce the price of the collection to $3200.00 and the sets as follows: (2) 80TW'S $1100.00, (2) 50TW'S $900.00, (2) 30TW'S $800.00 and (2) 30 T's $700.00. If the whole collection is purchased the price of $3200.00 is approximately a 10% discount. The rods are black with the gold chevron design with uni-butt ends and were made at a local Hampton Roads tackle shop. So, any final thoughts would be appreciated and I will leave you guys alone to get back to your fishing stories :) Thanks again to all who have responded!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your husband and I wish you the best in selling your equipment.

I have sold & bought fishing equipment on websites as well as Ebay with success. Looking at the rods and reels they look like they are in good shape, but they are also probably around 5+ years old which need to be determined in setting the price.

Try taking the rods to Princess Anne Distributors which has a used rod selling section. They do get 20%, but they usually sell pretty quickly if priced right. I would say that you are a little high on your prices.

Shoot I have two Penn Int 130 $1,199.00 (2007 Models) with $560 (2007) custom rods. The best offer I have received was $950 each. These are rods that are perfect and been used very limited. Be prepared to make a deal, because folks are selling fishing equipment like crazy on many websites.

Better pictures would be great to help you sell them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your reply and the condolences surfperch1. I admit the prices listed on the classifieds are a bit ambitious so I assuming that the prices I have listed here on this thread are pretty competitive for a quick sale. Maybe I should list them on EBAY as you and others have suggested but I really prefer to deal locally so the prospective buyer could see them in person to truly appreciate what they are as my husband put alot of effort and money putting them together and especially in maintaining them. I/E on my research on EBAY I did see a couple of listings for the PENN International l130 reel and rod combos for around $800.00 or $900.00 each and that is used as well so the $950.00 each would be a fair price for your used rod and reel combos. I am only asking $900.00 for two custom rods and PENN 80tw reels which I dropped down four hundred dollars and will be giving even more of discount if the whole collection is purchased. Yes, there are alot of fishing equipment for sale on websites but not alot of these particular type of PENN International reels with a custom rod. That's why I asked for help on this thread because there is really not alot of them out there for sale and they don't make that particular reel any more.

I guess I should remove my classified posting and repost with better pictures of rods to remove any confusion. I will post them on other websites as suggested by another member and hope and pray that someone will want to buy them and offer a fair price. But on a positive note, it is not imperative to sell them right this instant but it would help out alot if I did as I am having a house built and it would come in handy. So with that being said and as someone else mentioned I will take seriously the great advice I have been given here and the right buyer will come along.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts