Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How stupid:nono:

This past weekend I decided it was time to move the boat to the back yard for the winter. I made this move back there for the past three years with no problems. This year when trailering it back it was suggested that I back up the trailer, placing the tires on patio blocks. Never did this before but what problems could this create so I did. I jacked the boat up and drove the truck away. Next day I ventured back to the boat to cover it up and noticed that the boat wasnt in the same location. The tires were not on the blocks anymore and the boat was closer to the shed. When I looked behind boat, I was speechless for a while. The prop was against the shed. I got the truck back there again and when I pulled the boat forward I noticed that the prop was bent pretty bad. The shed was not damaged only a little paint was disturbed. I guess I should say thanks for having the shed in its location stopping the boat from rolling to who knows where:confused:

Oh well, I could have ended the season with bigger problems:yes:

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,155 Posts
An easy way to prevent that from happening is to allow someone (like a son in law :hammer: ) to use your boat. He is likely to leave the tongue jack in the vertical position (like he did to mine). That eventually results in a wheel that has one half ground away thus preventing the trailer from rolling no matter where it is parked.

It's an easy modification to make and really does come in handy lots of times.:D

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I know, I assumed that the wheels were blocked, I didn't check them myself.

Your right Dale:D

Last year I was rear ended at the end of last season and the prop got all bent up. Maybe it is the prop that's the problem:eek2:

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
A very similar event was posted earlier this year by tidal fisher Ida Mae. Glad it was no worse than a bent prop.

I live in the hills near the blue ridge and the place I keep my boat alongside my house is on a slight slope that steepens downslope and goes on for a quarter mile thru my neighbors yard and into the woods beyond. I am very careful to block both wheels before I remove the trailer from the hitch. I worry a lot about what would happen if I ever screwed up, it woud be ugly and possibly very dangerous.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
John - that sort of thing happens to all of us at one time or another. Believe me it could have been much worse - like the time a pilgrim was lauching his brand new bayliner from his brand new Monte Carlo with his girlfriend holding the bow line and stern line in each hand. After backing down to where his boat was actually floating he realize his stern strap was still attached and the boat was floating the trailer as well!

It gets better...(or worse).....

He jumps out of the car leaving his door open on the driver's side (did I mention he had a brand new Monte Carlo?) He begins to yell at his girlfriend when the transmission gives way and his car begins to go backwards. The door on the brand new Monte Carlo catches a piling and tears off at the hinges. The car continues to go backwards filling up the trunk, the back seat, and most of the front seat before (somehow) stopping. Meanwhile the boat and trailer pop off the brand new Monte Carlo's hitch and begins to float out toward the Gunpowder river. But....his girlfriend still held on to the bow and stern lines keeping it from going down the Bay. THIS is a true story - my son who was 12 at the time turned to me and asked "he wasn't supposed to do that right Dad?" we both witnessed that event.

Soooooo maybe a bend prop ain't so bad after all - whaddaya think? - chuck:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
OMG!

JB,
Sorry for your problems.

Chuck, Great story to hear but not for the guy with the MC.

Jerry,
I like you a lot but I am glad I am not your SIL.

I bet your glad too.

DB:cool2:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You know... I think that guy's girlfriend is STILL standing there with lines in both hands - given that my son is now 39 (quickly now 39-12= 27)....a mere 27 years ago - she probably ain't as good looking in her bikini as she was that day! Probably a bit cold this evening too!

Hah!:clapping2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I worked at a "to remain anonymous boat store in Richmond.. and was jockeying boats around the yard.. had a 28 foot sea ray hooked onto the back of the tractor (never locked the hitch on - always just used the hydraulic lift to keep the ball high enough) and checked with my assistant to make sure he was ready for me to drop the ball down using the lift lever on the tractor. He gave me the sign.. saying he was ready... which I assumed meant that he had chocked the trailer wheels... noooooooo.. the boat and trailer went slowly rolling backwards... Me and another mechanic ended up on either side of the tongue steering the behemouth as it gained speed rolling backwards while another mechanic tossed cinderblocks behind the tires... exploding them as the trailer rolled over them.. We narrowly missed a woodworking shed with carpenter inside.. after about a 200 foot journey that seemed to last forever.. the slope evened out and the boat came to a rest on its' own, pulverized cinderblocks in its wake.. the boss walked out and asked us what was going on.. "Nothin.." got away with a near tragedy that day. ALWAYS.. put blocks on the wheels..

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
John, Walmart sells a plastic doughnut looking piece that you place on the ground and the wheel of the jack fits into it preventing the trailer from moving........casts about $3.00. I would still jack the wheels if it was on a slope greater than 5 degrees. Glad there wasn't much damage.........you could just get a stainless prop......it would not bend:clap:......Gary

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
These stories are bringing back some old memories of down hill escapades that I really don’t want to recall.
Like the time I was a construction foreman of a water & sewer excavating company.
The guy that owned the company had very old and not in the best condition heavy equipment. One day I had to operate the rubber tire loader it was a 3 yard bucket type with the T-Rex tires. The transmission was good but it had no breaks to speak of. In order to stop the thing you had to shift into reverse on the fly. So here we are working on a residential one lane street with cars parked on both sides. The operator was off that day. Gravel was needed in the trench so I jump on the loader start her up and proceed to the gravel pile. The motor quits and I’m left going down the road, no breaks and gaining speed. Wood at the end of the street is my saving grace if this beast does not start. Nearly crashing into cars on both sides of me the motor finally starts and I slam it into reverse and come to a rest about 25 yards from a grove of oak trees. I begin to walk up the hill and the crew including the owner are rolling in the street laughing at me. I told the owner I was going home for the rest of the day. I quit that job the following week…
No wonder the hair on my head fell out when I was a young man.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts