Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the same short trip yesterday eve, me & a friend ALMOST DIED! we were going under the lesner, outgoing tide, & heres a tug with 3 HUGE spot lights right in our face. we were 2/3rds of the way thru the bridge. could not even begin to see the barge he was pushing full of oysters or shells until we were 25 FEET FROM COLLIDING! nailed the motors in reverse against the tide, raised em so as not to submerge the transom & barely got out of the way. what kind of idiot would totally blind an oncoming boat pushing a barge that takes the entire width of the channel, bulkhead to bulkhead. has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes. I had a run in with the same barge last Thursday night. I guess they think they have full run at night when not many folks are out there. I hope this is not a precurser to the dredging project.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
A sticky situation for sure... but, at least you have a bit of maneuverability, whereas he has next to none. It's a good warning to others... keep an eye out for these guys. Might not be a bad idea to keep the radio on 16 and hailing them if there's any doubt as to his intentions/course.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The barge was under way going through the bridge - you turn into bridge and see him - and he is the bad guy? You are lucky he had the lights on! :eek2:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do not listen to 16 only!!! These tugboat guys listen to channel 13 mostly, if they have 16 on its probally turned down low. Remember a tug with a barge on a fair tide is a lot less manuverable than you and your boat!! Try to stay out of there way, because they cant always stay out of yours!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
i know the pucker factor was right up there!!! been there done that. i had a similar incident about 35 yrs ago with a oil tanker in the fog.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I thought is was againt the law to shine a spot light in the face/direction of another mariner??? One would think the larger vessel has the right of way, but that is not always correct. If it were me in that situation, he WOULD have the right of way. Has anyone notified the coaties over the situation? I rarely launch there due to the large volume of boat traffic/idiots.

Glad it turned out okay for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the same experience last year at the same spot. Its very difficult and scary to tell what is going on when you are approaching head on. I believe the spot lights are used to illuminate the front corners of the barge so they can see to manuever and keep control of the barge. Al is right - they cannot manuver anywhere in such tight quarters. That night was about a 3 wipe night for me:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I learned my lesson at the bridge last year with a Pilot boat. Most of the Pilot boat guys are cool but there are a couple asses among them that think they have they right away going thru the bridge no matter what. Was coming in from the bay side and was about 50ft from going under the bridge when a Pilolt boat comes around the inside corner of the bridge at high speed(faster than he should have been going). I had to veer to the right and pass thru on the crab creek side of the bridge. There are too many idiots that go thru there too fast and too wide. I learned my lesson and from that day if I saw any boat coming thru the bridge I went thru one of the other openings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts