Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled into the fishing center around 4:30 this morning. The boat ramps are a nightmare with a big boat. As you pull up from the parking lot to where the ramps are, there is a coffer dam around the first two ramps with equipment and piles of rock a good ways out in the roadway in front of the first two ramps you come to. They look like they are going to be wider and quite a bit longer, but have a ways to go. Then to the right where you would swing truck to straighten up on the ramps are two huge piles of dirt with escavators sitting ontop of them. With the new boat and the huge triple axle trailer I always come in the exit side infront thebrooms so I don't drag trailer over curb in sharp left hand curve at end of road. To get my rig to the last ramp which had the best angle of the two, I had to turn the curve from oppisite direction and then back around to last ramp and turn boat into ramp on blind side. Was glad I had alot of tractor trailer driving experience. It is gonna be crazy when the fishing picks up and 100 boats are there all trying to launch at the same time. All the more reason for me to leave late morning and start overnighting! On to the inlet. The channel out of the fishing center and the left turn into the crack and the entire crack were the same as they always were. We waited around till a little after 5 and didn't see anycharter boats lit up so we decided to head out on our own. Got to the crack and fell in behind two net boats, perfect timing. Red bouy ballsstill in the same place as always along with few green cans and the 1 red can before you get to bridge. Followed them about 30yrds off the bridge down to in between the 16th and 17th sets of pilings. I also noticed that all the piling sets are now marked with a green reflective sign with white numbers (on both sides of bridge) we went between 161 and 162 just for reference. On the way out about 1.5hrs after high tide I read 6ft, on the way in about 1hr after high tide I read 8ft. Channel on the outside of bridge is same as its been for a while now. Onto the fishing, ran out to the 630 line and dropped the spread just over the 100fa line. Worked north to the 650 and got a single knockdown, pulled in a 30lb yft. Worked up to the 680 with no luck so circled back to 630 out to about 500fa. Got a double knockdown and one came unglued, pulled in a slightly larger yft. Worked that area for a few more hrs with no more luck so I turned south and worked down to the 590 with nothing to show for it and turned back north again. Got back up to the 610 still in 500fa and have 4 go down, 2 stay tight, land 2 more yft slightly bigger than the last. Keep working north and pickup a lone gaffer around 15lbs. Call it a day at 3 with a solid 15-20kt SE wind, thankfully it was a following sea heading back, got about 10 miles inside the edge and it laid down nice and ran 30kts the rest of the way in until we were greeted by the coast guard about 4 miles from the bridge, the stopped me and did a safety inspection and measured the yft. Very professional and courteous. They were just as worried about where the fishing was happening as they were about checking me. I did hear a few bluefin being landed between the 750-800. Total tally for us was 4 for 6 yft and one nice gaffer. Not a bad day for first trip of the season. Hopefully many more to come soon. Off to bed, its almost 11pm, been up since 1:30am and have to be at work at 7am. The price we pay to have fun in the bluewater!
Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts