Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crew: Jim,Pat,Barry,Howard & me.

Fished from the point to the 550.

Water at the point was clean enough & green with a bit of blend. Looked plenty good enough. Ended up being a Fat Albert fest + 1 Mako but no yellowfin. Bummer so we had to push south. The water only picked up about 4 (10th's) of a degree but was much prettier form about the 570 south. The current wasn't too bad either. Most of our marks were below 20 fathoms & for us to get bites we had to make multipull passes usually down wind to get a strike. Mostly single's or doubles & only once did we have a triple. The tough thing for us was this was the day of all days for the rubber hook factor.:eek2: Just an unbelievable amount of pull offs.:confused: Many after a good fight & close to steel. The goos news is some nicer fish are mixed in with the pups so it's a good sign for sure.:clapping2:

We basicly sucked hind tit all day with only 3 yellowfin & 1 mako + some Dolphin & deep drop bait for the freezer for our efforts. Water was a bit bumpy in the hot but was fine all the way out & back making both runs nice & short.

The reason for the thumbs up:thumbup: is cause even though we pulled off more Tuna than a boat has a right too,:eek2: the great news is the fish seem to be there & many of the fleet boats did very well.:fishing2: They too mostly were getting singles but in the end added up to a great day. I don't know what the others had but I do know that Tuna Fever had 16 singles & then finished with a triple. He said he had some nicer fish mixed in as well.:rockingreport: I also heard 1 boat that landed 2 over 50lb's back to back & also heard Full Draw fighting a long battle with a really nice fish which @ first was thought to be an Eye but might have been a nice Bluefin. Not for 100% sure cause I only caught the last part of the conversation. He did say his mate Pete (Peddler, on this board) had a hard time getting it through the door so I'm sure it was big.:bigfish: Either way it sounded like plenty of boats were racking them up & putting a serious schooling on our lame asses.:D

Anyways, lots of action & that sweet sound of reels screaming kept us all busy. It was a good day even though it could have been great. We'll be back once all those ripped off lips heal up.;-) Thanks crew for a great time.:thumbup:

BTW, we had planned to try for Rockfish from 1:00 pm till dark but heard the SW flow shut the bite way down so bagged it & continued to fish till 3:00 with the last strike being a double, 1 Albert & 1 mako. They hit as we crossed back into the greener water in the SW corner of the Point. Not a monster but a managable keeper that kinda made our day & sure is good eating.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Bill thanks again for the trip. We did stay busy all day with action at least. Next trip down will get the home project done. Looks like no rush back, its going to be liquid not white up here.

Howard

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thinks for the invite Bill. Had a great time and even though we had some bad luck, we still got to fight some fish which I havn't done in a couple months.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Way to stick with it Bill!! Its getting hard to find tuna in VA Beach and I know it has not been a great year for them down there either. Thanks for the report. Got my trailer all legal now so one of these days I am going to have to roll down and get out to try for them. Martin

·
Registered
339 Posts
Glad to be in on the action again....with a great crew. A little bouncy...but glad to get some pullage. Had Mako for the first time...as good as the tuna.

Speaking of a mixed bag....hope to get some striper action before the season closes down.

See Ya,
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts