Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like some others on this board will be making the first trip out of OI in the spring. For all of you with the first hand experience...How bad is the inlet on a normal day? I have been through OC Inlet several times and people say thats bad. I know it varies greately from day to day, but ON an average 15kt wind day with average traffic how would you rate navigating OI in a 22 ft I/o boat???

Scale of 1-10 10 being the worst.

I am starting to second guess wether its worth the trips I have planned with all this talk about the big boats not being able to get through.....

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
864 Posts
Putting things into perspective.... I say it's more the operator than it is the boat size. If you can navigate OC ,(using common sense with the weather) you will be able to navigate OI. I have found that if your not sure about the bar, sit back in the inlet and watch for a while."Basic Logic" is not something that can be taught[wink].

·
Registered
432 Posts
I tried going out of OI on THU, no go, the waves were breaking across the channel so we turned around and fished around the bridge, man was the tide ripping in. Then the fog came rolling in, glad we didn't go out. My little brother doesn't have GPS on his boat and it would have been a bit*# to get back in. No luck in the fish catching dept either. It was a nice boat ride.

DP
"Harvey's Hookers"
222 Aquasport

·
Registered
28 Posts
If a 15 knot wind is out of the north or east it will be tough. I tried it a couple of weeks ago in a 24'. Had 6 footers breaking over the bow. Turned around. Then yesterday, with a SW wind I cruised out and in at 20 knots. It's totally wind dependent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have run Oregon Inlet a lot in a Shamrock 246 with 310 hp inboard power. Somedays it is just a stroll on the water and other days it can break you apart. Every year, during striper season, about 5 or 6 boats capsize and some people drown. Use common sense, watch and follow other boats. If you commit to the crossing of the inlet, go all the way out and then return. Never try to turn around in the breakers if they are present. They will roll you over. I have ridden a 16 foot breaker through the inlet once. (onshore wind and outgoing tide) I pray to GOD that I never do that again.

Fred
Wet Kisses
SHAMROCK 246 WAC[angel][angel][angel]

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, So it appears if the inlet is too bad, then you can at least kill some time inside and wet a line....

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Someone got it half right when they said it is wind dependent. It is wind and tide dependent. A hard east with an out going tide, forget about it, same with a west and an incoming. If the ocean has a lot of swell you can usually give it up too because the narrow inlet just magnifies it. There's a cut to the southside that can be navigable when the main chain is closed of in breakers but you have to know your way since it isn't marked or catch some one transiting it and follow them. The worst mistake you can make is to get half way into it and then try and turn to come back. It will usually be too tight a wave pattern to pull this one off safely. So if you decide to run it, run it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is there a way of finding out how bad it is before I get out there? Can you scout it before commiting to run it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Darren is dead on,wind opposing tide at oi in particular is deadly.If you pull into the marina,and most of the Boy's are home there is a reason.when it was said :eek:nce you commit to out or in you are commited, never a more true word was spoken.
Wes

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Coming over the bridge gives you a birds eye view of it. You can stop and take a look at it once you cross under the bridge and still be out of the breakers, but not much more than past it. Look at the forecast for the wind direction and then check the tides time. It isn't usually bad unless they are crossed up or the wind is really howling. If they are crossed a 10 knot wind can make it a shade hairy. I've sat outside the sea bouy before, waiting on the tide so it would get decent enough to get back in the inlet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OI is challenging to say the least and with almost 20 years boating experience I would still strongly recommend you follow one of the larger boats out your first couple of times.. Alot of shallow water areas and bouys in the bay will make it fairly easy to track from the launch ramp to the bridge, but the channel is another story.. I started fishin' out of the inlet three years ago on my 19 ft Aquasport which was fine on most days. However after a few rough days and a "is it really worth it", I invested in a larger boat, a 33 ft Wellcraft with twin 250s. Now I generally can go out in almost any condition and have tried, 7-10s in the channel are bad and I can attest that those bouys disappear quite quickly.. I still make a habit of trying my best to catch a draft on the stern of a 40-50 footer coming and going.. The wait isn't too bad and much easier than trying to swim to the shore from a sand bar, trust me, I've seen it.. I've even watched some nice boats run aground in the inner bay because they don't know the way around.. So heed on the side of caution and follow someone in and out.. Good luck.. The fishin' is NORMALLY great at OI, weather permitting!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts