Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of OI Sunday with Earesponsible crew of myself, Jimmy O, and Mr. Thax. Were taking our time in the AM a bit as the winds were not cooperating as usual. Were very happy to follow Bob and Still Think'n crew out of the inlet. It's a little tight in there!

Not horrible seas initially but as we came up on the green water around the 400 line it got progressively worse. At one point was 6-10 with winds nearly 20kts. I think our southerly approach put us just south of any protection from the Cape. We decided to turn back a few miles and wait a bit for the wind to lay up. It was big enough that just turning around had to be a very calculated maneuver. We re-approached the deeper water just slightly to the north and the difference was huge. We found the fleet around the 470, stretched out from 200 to 600 fathoms. We were only trolling 3 lines plus a planer as we wanted to be able to stop and jig if the moment dictated. Our way back seawitch/horse hoo started screaming and I really screwed this one up. Ended up losing the fish to a break off/foul with another line. I vowed not to touch another rod!

Time went by. As usual, it seems like everyone is hooking up but you. We received and tried to give out a lot of help from/to Still Thinkin and Codfather. We trolled, we trolled and jigged, we jigged.... Finally found some good marks. I hooked one on my spinning set up jigging- I apparently did not pack the line tight enough on the reel as it bound up during the fight and broke me off. Had a another break off shortly thereafter.

Spent a long time looking for good marks again. At 4:30 I was about done. I started pulling in gear. We had only 1 trolled rig out and I was about to pull it in when it got nailed. Once again, another break off during the fight. I think the fish swallowed it and broke it at its teeth since we were not trolling fast enough.

Next thing we knew, the finder lights up like christmas. I quickly threw the jig back on the rod I had just taken off and James drops down. A minute later as he was reeling it in to clear it as we had lost the marks, BAMMM! An hour long fight ensues on my little conventional jig setup (avet raptor hxw on a black hole cap cod rod). Jimmy O put 30+ pounds of drag on this fish from the very beginning and never let up. 600yds of line went down to about 20yds a few times despite chasing the fish with the boat. I had to pour water on the reel as it was smoking. I finally got to stick the beast after a bunch of death circles. It took everything we had to get this fish in and I was really surprised we were able to squeeze him through the tuna door(sort of). He measured out at 77 inches CFL. Estimated at 300lbs give or take.

After gutting and bleeding the fish it was getting late. We ran into the most ridiculous marks of the whole day. Miles of dense bluefin at the 500. Will have to revisit them another day. We ran 40+kts all the way back as the wind had finally laid down nice. We made it in with about 20 minutes of daylight remaining.

All in all a great day on the water.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Pretty work on a rough day! Really appreciate the detailed report.

Could you share any info on the inlet conditions? Is the shoaling just around the bridge? Are folks using a southern span? Any guidance would be great as we plan to go this weekend (conditions permitting).

Ed

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main spans were completely filled with sand. We squeezed out through a northern span. If you can follow someone I would recommend it as it seems to be changing daily down there. The only significant shoaling was right under the bridge. The cut through from the Fishing Center was plenty deep.

I had plenty of jig choices, but with the wind and current, I needed every bit of 500g. All jigged hookups were on 500g Jerk-that-jigs. I was wishing I had something heavier or tail-weighted at the same weight. Go big with hooks- 10-0 or 11-0. We had 100lb JB hollow core depth-colored main line with 100lb flouro wind-ons. I just bought some 130 flouro for the next trip.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Thanks for the report & up date on the tricky inlet also. Sounds like you guys had a fantastic late day come back. Congrats!!! Awesome catch.

Sorry to thread jack but Please.... More on the inlet. I may be going out later this week or weekend & as you stated, things are changing daily. I will not likely have the option of following others out from where I run from. You mentioned north. That doesn't make sense. Are you sure you didn't pass through south of the center span??? Lately we have been passing under the next widest span just south of the center/channel span. Maybe now you need to go 1 or more south of that??? The more narrow ones??? But north of the center doesn't sound right to me unless something major has changed.

Going out in the morning, did you go right of the wooden bordered/lighted center span & if so how many more sections over?? Two weeks ago (last time I went through) if you had gone left/north of the center or even through the center you would likely be hitting sand.

Big thanks for any input in advance. I live in Northern VA & don't have daily local input except from Hatteras which doesn't apply. OI is always a huge pucker factor in a big boat now a days.

Or if you are able please call my cell 703-898-0202 to discuss. I am looking at going either Thurs,Fri or Sat. I have not been out in a few weeks. I always dred the first time after a break from fishing due to this constant shoaling problem.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Congrats Team Earesponsible! Thanks again for working with us. FYI, we used 230-300gr jigs and we had many hook ups, though we lost them due to tackle failures and pulled hooks. These were much bigger class of fish and they were very hard on our tackle and bodies. Losing one at the boat after 1:15 fight was a heartbreaker but we had many chances, but it was hard to recover from losing two fish right from the beginning due to failed main line (100lb JB hollow) and loop failure at the leader was like starting a tennis match with two double-faults.

We ran from HI. We started around 8am and we were going with the sea, so the ride there wasn’t so bad at all, though the inlet was a little tricky with low tide and incoming swell. I imagine it was much trickier at OI. Luckily, by the time we got there, the seas were not too bad and we never felt uncomfortable jigging.

The bite seemed to turn on in the afternoon, and we had constant action from about 12:30PM on.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Great post of your day fishing. I am sure your happy with the final result. It is always sweet when, as a small boat rec. fisherman you endure the conditions and box a nice fish. Congratulations again and thanks for the location information. Sounds like that area is holding good fish.

Greg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats Team Earesponsible! Thanks again for working with us. FYI, we used 230-300gr jigs and we had many hook ups, though we lost them due to tackle failures and pulled hooks. These were much bigger class of fish and they were very hard on our tackle and bodies. Losing one at the boat after 1:15 fight was a heartbreaker but we had many chances, but it was hard to recover from losing two fish right from the beginning due to failed main line (100lb JB hollow) and loop failure at the leader was like starting a tennis match with two double-faults.

We ran from HI. We started around 8am and we were going with the sea, so the ride there wasn't so bad at all, though the inlet was a little tricky with low tide and incoming swell. I imagine it was much trickier at OI. Luckily, by the time we got there, the seas were not too bad and we never felt uncomfortable jigging.

The bite seemed to turn on in the afternoon, and we had constant action from about 12:30PM on.
What type of line to leader connection were you using that failed? Always looking for the best connection for braid to fluoro.

·
Registered
294 Posts
What type of line to leader connection were you using that failed? Always looking for the best connection for braid to fluoro.
We use loop-to-loop connection to 130lb Jinkai wind-on leader using spliced 100lb Hollow JB main line. The main line broke not at the loop but farther back. I suspect it was tangled with another fish. We also had loop failures at the solid ring, though we use the biggest Owner rings and also loop protectors. Again, these are beasts of fish and I have never seen line being taken out so fast on our Tiagras and Stellas. We have some ideas to prevent this and we will test it out next time out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts