Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Sat on the Point & both up down & out. 630-530. Conditions were perfect. Water was 74-76 Gulf blend & pretty, minimal tide on both days. Fish were there but not in great numbers yet. Some boats got whammed & some didn't. Best was Hooker boat with a limit of nice Yellowfin down on the 530.:rockingreport: Also Biop-sea had 4 Big Eye outside of the Point.:clapping2: One other had a few Eye's as well. Then it was a lot of boats scraping it out for a bite or 2 here & there. You could just tell that things are gonna get nothing but better every day now that water is in place & more & more schools of fish are filtering in. There was also lots of bait at the northern end up around the 627-630. We had a tough day with only a Mako & limit of Tile. Mako was about 70lbs but did not make it in the box. No Tuna bites what so ever for us.

Sun even though the water was up over the bottom I was worried about a possible repeat slow day so I decided to roll the dice on a run down south instead. Started on the 250 in about 50 fathoms & worked down to 240 & then back up the line in & out. Had a single Yellowfin over the rocks at 256 & then a slow pick of Dolphin. One more nice slick produced another Tuna but it came unglued early on. Then a few more Gaffers with the largest Bull of the day jumping off just before gaff from a pair along the change where it had edged up in the NW corner crossing the 100 up around the 415. That is where we ended the day a bit early considering it was a Sun & fishing was pretty slow again down south as well for us.

On the way in we heard the great news that more fish were caught up north & that things are in fact getting better all the while. I can't explain it considering the fact that we had such an over all slow weekend both north & south but I am just sure that this is gonna be a good Tuna season. It just looks & feels right out there.:high5:

I got to get busy back up north for the next few weeks considering all this rain has put us behind with work but I expect to return to fantastic fishing by the next trip. BTW. Love the new boat. I spent last week steady wrenching doing all the final touches getting dialed in similar to Ol'e Fancy & it was a treat to fish now that all the small stuff is also tweaked.

As for the INLET/CRACK conditions, were as I had expected. All is exactly as it was from my last trip/report. Well marked crack, center span open, straight line to the south jetty until you pick up the buoys. Good luck to all. See ya in a few weeks. The usual trouble spots are are still seeing action from guys getting off track but if you stay in the exact right water as clearly marked then you will be fine. If in doubt at all just be patient & wait to follow a local.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found mud bottom inside. Nice ones too. Thank god but it took a while to round them up.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plenty of bottom inside if you look. Lots of Sea bass also so it sucks not being able to keep those prime knot heads. None of this will matter by my next trip. Don't get me wrong, Tile are great eating & a real day saver when things are slow but just not my idea of an exciting day.

It just looks way too good out there for more & more fish to fill in from here on out. I love May in OBX!!! Wish I had more time. I would be out there right now trying for a shot at those early season EYE's today.
Good Report.... Ill find my bottom fish inside too.... screw 17B!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Point on Saturday

We were out there too. About the same result but we did manage to get one nice yellowfin in the boat. Miss a couple of dolphin hits. Pretty water, now we just need the Hatteras boys to send some fish up this way.

Jim & Mike Pyne
"Critical Link"

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Great to here the waters starting to come together, just one of those weekends. I am sure next time out it will be on for the gaffers and bosco's for Circle Back. Then you will be getting a letter about voluminous carcasses:eek2::yes:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Jim,
Tried to send you a pm. My wife and I are closing on the house 2 doors down from you next week. Saw your express boat on the lift, looks good ( also saw your post on jay's website) we need to link up soon. My boat is in wanchese now but plan on moving it next week to collington.
Taylor
We were out there too. About the same result but we did manage to get one nice yellowfin in the boat. Miss a couple of dolphin hits. Pretty water, now we just need the Hatteras boys to send some fish up this way.

Jim & Mike Pyne
"Critical Link"

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I saw you stopped. I thought that was the boat that is up on the lift next to Taylors new crib. This is gonna be cool. All these years & up till now I have never found any buddy boats out of Collington. Now it looks like we should have a regular convoy dodging those peeler pots. We all need to get together. There is another guy on here. Need to find his b-mail to get in touch with him. He has a Cat boat in Collington. That would make the 4 of us.

I think it's time we all get together & have a beer, make some rigs & a plan.

Jim & Mike Pyne
"Critical Link"

·
Registered
728 Posts
Bill,
maybe now we can start our own diesel co-op.... stash a tank farm in the park!

Ok I saw you stopped. I thought that was the boat that is up on the lift next to Taylors new crib. This is gonna be cool. All these years & up till now I have never found any buddy boats out of Collington. Now it looks like we should have a regular convoy dodging those peeler pots. We all need to get together. There is another guy on here. Need to find his b-mail to get in touch with him. He has a Cat boat in Collington. That would make the 4 of us.

I think it's time we all get together & have a beer, make some rigs & a plan.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I know the dude with the Kat he just built his house last year. Let me know if you want his number.

Maybe I can strike oil and have a house down there. Wait so many boats you guys need mates....I need to sharpen my skills.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts