Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crew: Jim,Scott,Bryan,Leon,Shane,Bert & me.

Nice run out & back. Great crew & a super nice early Christmas spread (thanks to Beck):thumbup: We all had high hopes but in the end it was ripping tide in the 71-72 degree water full of the 4-8 lb Blackfin but tough for anything else.

First thing in the morning as lines were going out (on 535 in 85 fathoms )we hit a single that came tigh & was pulling good but came unglued. Came back around a managed a double but only 1 stayed tight. Things were looking up with 1 Yellowfin in the box that fast but in the end it was blind luck. Never found any more & from what it sounded like the rest of the OI boats had the same problem with nothing but Bladkfin bites. We ended up going through 4 packs of the smaller hoos.

Later in the day I did hear that a good bite did happen for a few Hatteras boats at the 450 in about 66 fathoms or so. I am pretty sure The Release boat had the best of it & I think they managed their limit. :thumbup: Pretty work Rom & Lee. We were out of range & time by then but damit we had made it all the way down to the 515 in that 3.8knt's of current:eek: so I guess you could say we zigged when we should of zagged. We had gotten away from our fleet & with the lack of radio chatter, were thinking we needed to push back north to check the cold stuff before all our bait was used up to the Blackfin. Earlier in the week the conditions were perfect & limits were caught by all up above the Point out of the current but that dried up with this last blow.

Ended with just enough meat for the crew but nowhere near what I had hoped to get into. This game can be tough but I love a challange so I'll be back with hopes that the next trip will be one.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Sorry to hear ya'll didn't get more YF's, but the rockfish are thick on the beach, from what I've seen.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Bill sorry you didn't get into them, with the rerigging and new witches Becky did there doomed when you find them

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Bill, my charter ended up cancelling for saturday night, so I guess I should have come down there. Ended up striper trolling sunday for about an hour. Caught them two miles from the inlet. 6 gallons of fuel used. Pulled out of the slip at 303 pm pulled back in at 419pm. Cleaned fish till 545. Home with a bucket full of fillets 605pm. Zero shad bodies spent. Cheapest fishing trip aboard matador ever. $16.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
damn I missed a 16 dollar matador trip. wtf. I usually have to pay that in cover charge to get on it at Rudee's in the summer. Damn summer where did she go.

Bill sorry the water was runnnin its always tough when that happens but when your a weekend warrior thats what you have to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I guess I'm about ready to chase the mullets half way to VB for a couple trips since the Tuna fishing is so hit or miss. We had the gear for them the other day but the other boats from OI considered the same but concluded that it had been so hit or miss the day before. Thing is, when the weather & water is right, it can still be great this time of the year offshore.

As for fishing out of VB. Im all about it as long as it's a bad weather day or a weekday. I can't handle the calm weather weekend out of Rudee.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Great crew....Leon and Shane, Bertman and Scott,....made for a fun off shore trip, and the calm seas in were a bonus. This time of year......if the tuna bite is off, striper fishing, oystering, duck hunting, might be considered options.

Thanks for the invite,
Jim

·
Registered
843 Posts
Bill, you need to take one of those blackfins debone it and send it down deep with a light on it on those slow days and hook a sword! this time of year, there has got to be some down there. that could really turn a day around, but no more risky than chasing tunas with no one out there. glad you got some pullage! casey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts