Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OI Succession Tuna Video

Decided to treat myself to a charter so went with Capt Kevin Bremer aboard Succession. Our crew was:

Mike (Fish Dad)
Mike K (makkim)
Danny (captdavdavis01)
Dan (2ntow)
Ben (Foxwind)
Rob (runoff27)
Lee (Our mate)

Left Shallowbag at 4:30 am Saturday to slick calm waters. Passed through some very skinny waters on the way out but made it out arriving to the edge of the temp break around the 720 line before sunrise. Found ugly green water 70-72 degrees but great marks and bird activity all around. Only 2 other boats in sight. Put 3 YFT in the box before sunrise. We think the bite is going to be wide open. But within 30 minutes the entire fleet of boats arrive in our location and the troll bite falls off very quickly as the tuna go down. Manage 7 or 8 on the troll before it shuts down completely.

Around noon we decide to get jiggy with it and start jigging tuna on the marks. Kevin had 3 rods with braid, 2 TLD 25s and 1 light spinning reel. But only 1 diamond jig on the boat. Kevin talks with Bill (Hit N Run) who just boated 21 tuna all on the jig (wow) and he tosses us 2 butterfly jigs. Thanks Bill. I take the spinner and jig for a good while with the diamond jig and nothing. I take a break on the spinner and Rob drops it down and bam gets a nice YFT on the spinner and is in for a good fight but gets him up and in the box. I finally get one on the jig later after jigging my tail off with the TLD. We get 5 or 6 YFT on the jig before calling it a day.

Final tally: 13 tuna. Nothing huge but still tuna in the box. I only caught 1 tuna this year on my boat out of Virginia so got my much needed tuna fix. I do think if you could manage to get out there without the entire fleet present, you could have a great troll bite. Me, I'm going to recheck my stocks of jigs on my boat and be ready anytime I see good marks and can't make them rise.

Great crew and thanks to Kevin for putting us on the tuna. If anyone wants a hard working Capt that has reasonable prices, go with Kevin. I'm sure I'll charter him again in the future when I want a break from running my boat.

Here is sunrise out of OI (already had 3 tuna in the box before this pic was taken).

Here is some of the marks we had when we jigged them up.

Didn't take a lot of pics but got a lot of video. Here is a shortened version of the video.

OI Succession Tuna Video

·
Registered
919 Posts
Damn! I'm jealous. We headed out there before sun-up, but just had to stop by the tower to jig the AJ's. When we got to the drop-off, sun was UP. I guess we missed it. Didn't jig for tuna though. Congrats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for putting together a great trip! I think we all had a blast. As you said, Capt and crew were top notch. Lots of tuna going on the grill this week

Rob

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mike, thanks for putting this trip together. Great crew,captain and mate. Glad we could put some fish in the box, except for the one I wont mention that went overboard! The jigging was definetely a good call. My lack of sleep from the night before definetely took a toll on me. I am cannot stay up all day and night like I use to when I was young. I was glad to see my bed last night. Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mike,
Another great trip. Appreciate your effort in putting this together. Great captain, mate and entire crew. Kevin's hard core on the catching, wouldn't have it any other way. I did hit the HRBT for my 2 stripers before heading to F-burg. I'm still beat. Mike

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike,
Another great trip. Appreciate your effort in putting this together. Great captain, mate and entire crew. Kevin's hard core on the catching, wouldn't have it any other way. I did hit the HRBT for my 2 stripers before heading to F-burg. I'm still beat. Mike
Mike, still can't believe you didn't sleep Friday night, drove down from Fredricksburg to OI, fished all day, then fished the HRBT until after 1 am, then drove back to Fredricksburg. Guess you inland people got to get our fix in while your here. But at least you got your extra hour of sleep.

Dan, I realized as I put together the video, while I was doing the introductions at the beginning, I passed by you. Not intentional, just not paying attention.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Sweet day GUys. Glad you got into them, I bet your just itching to get back out there with those jigs. Hopefully I can make it out with you soon.

:thumbup::rockingreport:

·
Flounder -r- Fluky
5,925 Posts
Mike....... nice catch, glad to see you fishing out of OI. Glad those jigs you got from us helped, those thigs are the ticket !!!!!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Awesome job guys with a great crew!!! Kevin is the man!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks, Mike for putting this together. I had a blast and needed the blue-water fix big time. Learned another new trick with the jigging stuff...thanks to the Hit-N-Run crew for saving the day for us on that with the jigs. I will be adding a few to my box for later trips when nothing else seems to work (especially since I left those two on the boat that I graciously paid for!). Oh, the fresh tuna tasted mighty fine on the grill, today, too! And the video is awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Pretty work guys on your great day & glad the jigs worked for you.:rockingreport:

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for putting the trip together and really enjoyed. The video was awesome!

Mike it was 14 tuna remember the one that we boated and JUMPED OUT OF THE BOX! He He He!!! We definetely had the bites.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Great job guys, that was a quality trip for sure!

Salivating over here at the thought of some fresh grilled tuna I'm sure you all are enjoying!

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike,

Thanks for putting the trip together and really enjoyed. The video was awesome!

Mike it was 14 tuna remember the one that we boated and JUMPED OUT OF THE BOX! He He He!!! We definetely had the bites.
14....gotcha. Could have been worse...that tuna could have taken your Tiagra down with him. :eek:

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Hey it almost did! Hey Greg off an OI boat said, " It counted". Great day and thank you to all. Leon, Billy, Bill... and all the other boats who worked together on 68. Nice to have some folks working together.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Do we want the count the two that I missed along with that bouncing tuna?!? First one I missed was when jigging the right long rigger on the very first cover-up when one cut the bait in half. Then there was that one that blasted the diamond jig on the drop and I missed.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts