Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with USCG at Oregon Inlet (Sat., 25 Oct), inquiring about conditions.

The CG station is recommending the OI channel NOT be used at this time. The bar just east of the bridge is on the move and "shoaling to 2-3 feet of water"!!!!

I asked about dredging and was told that in a month or two a very large dredge was supposed to be in place and begin work. There is a small dredge trying now, but can't keep up with the bar movement. Also during large dredge re-positioning, the channel would be closed - but only for a few hours at a time.

Guess if the WX is decent, its gonna be HI for me for a while - I need 3 feet.

Good Luck & Tight Lines,
Woody

NORAN - Albemarle 24 Exp.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I drove over Bonner Bridge two days ago and the dredge was working just a bit oceanside of the bridge. It did not LOOK to be shoaling where he was at although there was A LOT of breaking water near the bridge (I assume the main channel under the bridge). I guess you can "shoot" the smaller spans for some deeper water but it looks hairy (at best). It looked like some big breakers were all the way across the bar at the outer parts of the inlet. My guess is it will be a mess for a while. The wind has been honking NE or E all week except for today (it is honking SE).

Looks like a tough fall season on the weather.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I know the fleet has already been through enough with fuel prices through the summer, slowed charter season and constant bad weather and shoaling.. I'm glad I only fish for FUN...

I hope they get it cleared out ASAP for everyone.. I have some steel just waiting for a little tuna action.

·
Registered
581 Posts
After trying OI last year right after a NE blow, I'll be a LOT more cautious this year. An 8'+ breaking wave at the bar in a 23-footer is a sphincter tightener for sure! And, if the charters aren't going, or leaving late, that should tell us small boaters something.

Bill
Miss Ginya

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chum, how much water do you draw? The 21 Oct soundings by the USCAE showed 4' just east of the bridge. I could do that (I need 3) if the water was fairly flat, but would worry if there was much wave action. Would hate to get dropped on the bottom!

The CG said the dredge was trying, but was not keeping up with the bar movement. Also said was getting worse every day... I asked what the charters were doing and they said they did not know.?. I also asked about a more southerly passage. The USCAE soundings show 15-20 feet toward the south end of the bridge. They said they would not recommend not using the official channel (policy???). Anyway, an earlier poster said the bridge supports on the south end were only 30' apart there and a vicious diagonal current was ripping through making for a dangerous passage.

BUMMER!

Woody

NORAN
Albemarle 24 Exp

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I would not waste your time even thinking about it for a week or so...or at least until the fan is shut off. Blowing 20-25 outta the SE right now. It is nasty...more liquor dying a steady death today!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, thats for sure. Was looking toward the end of the month. So far the long range intellicast looks OK for Nags Head, but it is still right far out. Looking like HI and head north - maybe... _W_

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Danny Wadsworth says he's going tomorrow....

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Go DANNY GO!!! Wish the best for those guys down there.............how much more can they take????

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Tommoro looks good

I stopped at the top of the bridge tonight around 5:30 & it looked OK for tommoro. I couldn't tell how bad the shoaling was under the center span though. I'm sure they will find a way out. If I had known how nice it was gonna lay out earlier I would have gone since the sat shot tonight looks killer & now Im thinking it won't get too bad out of the NW till tommoro night. Oh well. I just hope we can get a shot or 2 next weekend.

I will be suprised if the boats that fish tommoro don't bring home the meat with that water all over the bottom. Sure wish I could of joined them in the AM but I blew my chance not making the call earlier this afternoon.

Good luck to the fleet!!!:rockon:

Update: Man did I screw up. It is flat out calm this morning & look at this sat shot those boys have to work with today.IMCS Satellite Images

Gold mine I tell ya & it will be gone. All this crying about the weather & the right conditions.

Today was the day to NOT throw away.:52:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Man Bill that sure is purdy!!! Hope they load up good!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts