Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 20 year old 25" Parker Sport Cabin with twin 150 Ocean Pro Johnsons. The boat was used as a fireboat prior to my purchase. After replacing one of the powerheads, the rubrail and most of the wiring the boat is in "unsable state" but there is still much to do.... including the removal of the gas operated firepump. (Anyone looking for a fire pump?)

I took the boat out yeterday the engines ran fine but an alarm would go off on one of my motors every time I took it over 4000 rpms. According to the temp gauge the engine temp was fine. There was plenty of oil in the tank and over the course of the day the level decreased so I have to believe it was getting oil. Has anybody on the board had a similar problem.. I did notice that the oil line going to that motor has small leak around the fitting. It seems odd that it doesn't happen until I go over 4000 RPMs.

Thanks in advance

Bart

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
it needs to pull more oil at high rpms patch the hole and you will be fine I had a big rock spine my oil line last season we drove home with my buddy holding his thumb on it. Once it was patched no problem.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Run premix until you're absolutely sure both motors are using normal amounts of oil.

BTW what alarm? ... oil is intermittent sound, overtemp is constant. I would get an owner's manual if you don't already have one and read it. I think they are available as a free download from BRP's website.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since you said they are Ocean Pro's we'll assume that they are the 60* motors, 1991 or newer. Those motors also have a fuel restriction warning. If the horn sounds at 4000 rpm and if you throttle back and the horn stops almost immidately, it may indicate a fuel restriction.

If it were overheating the horn would continue to sound after you pulled the throttle back for at least a couple of minutes. It should also go into SLOW (speed limit overheat warning) and limit the rpms to about 2200 or so.

As you mentioned the temp gage was indicating everything was fine, temp-wise. Doesn't sound like an overheat but rather a fuel restriction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts