Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've got the Pela 6.5 liter pump. Works great with warm oil. Cold oil (ambient air temp) takes a loooonng time to empty a 6 quart auto crankcase. The hoses can be a bit awkward, and drip oil so you need to be careful when working with one of these pumps if you want to keep everything clean. Definitely go with the larger capacity as 2.5 quarts isn't much oil. My 225 Honda takes 8 quarts. But I can't really get the hose to the bottom of the crankcase using even the thinnest tubing, so I wind up draining the last 2 quarts out the drain plug anyway. But removing most of the oil from the top still cuts down the mess significantly. Car/truck oil changes are a breeze with it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks flycatcher & Shore Thing....Was looking at the larger model but my Yamaha F70 only holds 2 liters and a larger outboard, at this point in time, is not in the cards... unless someone is giving them away :)) Glad to hear from fellow TF'rs that the manual pumps work well. I'm always a bit leery of website product reviews. I will be getting one or the other....Thanks again to all.

I don't mind paying the local garage $30 for changing 5 qts of oil & a filter on my SUV (plus he always has a 1/2 keg real handy) but I hate like h%@* giving the boat guy $60 for 2 qts of oil, a filter....and no beer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Still might consider the bigger one. It's a pain if u fill the tank and you still have a little bit left to get out. If you have to stop it and dump it's not fun. Plus you could do multiple oil changes with just one dump of the holding tank. I use it for my 300 Suzuki plus lawn mower golf cart etc.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have the larger west model and it takes a lot of pumps and a long time to do my Volvo inboard.When you pull the hoses out it also dribbles oil all over the bildge.One year a friend lent me his 12 volt pump and it was terrific.If I was doing it again I would use a power pump since it allows you to do other chores while the oil change is going on.On the plus side I have used the west pump to drain other liquids that are less viscous than oil and it goes quickly.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the good advise...I will be ordering the larger 6 Liter extractor just in case I wanna do my own vehicles & drink my own beer :))

After further research I found that Yamaha recommends the HT MOTO OIL 01 for their mid-range 4 strokes. Found em on Ebay / Amazon for right around $50 delivered. If it works more than twice it will have paid for itself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use the larger version and it was worth the $$
I also use the larger one. Run the engine enough to warm the oil. Attach and pump up the extractor. Get the supplies for refill ready and by that time the oil is out. Change the filter, add the new oil, and the job is done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts