Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question on what oil you use for your 4-stroke. I have 320 hours on my 90 HP Yamaha and I have been using Yamaha oil when I change it. I change the oil every 80 hours. Would it be OK to use a different kind of oil other then Yamaha oil. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just know it would be a little cheaper to use regular oil then the manufactures brand. I know that the synthetic oils are a little more but I have heard they are the better oil to use. I just don’t want to mess anything up in the motor by changing oil. Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Any engineered synthetic will offer more protection than petroleum based oil. If changed at proper intervals the petroleum based oils work fine. I use synthetics because I don't think twice about running my stuff to redline and keeping it there - but petroleum based olis tend to foam. Oil is only half of the equation. All filters are not created equal. The big name brands and the fancy words and pictures on the box don't tell you anything about the micron size of filtering. This is something they really don't want you know and has previously been in the limelight. Also, a magnetic drain plug or wrap magnet on the filter will tell you what's going on - except for the wrap magnet you have to cut the filter open to inspect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.