Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Scott!

I got one of the original run of Trident 13's. They are really nice! They have more weight capacity than the standard Prowler 13, and have the Sonar Sheild standard. The Rod Pod is an option though, and does not come on all of them. It is a great well-rounded kayak.

Here is a video with Kevin and me previewing one before they came out:
YouTube - The Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13: Episode 20

Here is mine, but the camo will not be available.

John "Toast" Oast
Ocean Kayak Fishing Team
Fishyaker.com

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here is my friend Keith in his. He has a standard Trident 13 model, without the Rod Pod, but added a smaller round hatch and scotty mount where the Rod Pod would otherwise be cut out.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
That OK camo is sharp looking, they are not going to make em any more?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trident 13

John, Many thanks for your guidance.............I looked at a T-13 this afternoon and wow what a great looking hull form! I like the boat alot but am not interested in the Rod-Pod. I like Keith's approach. Did he cut in the smaller hatch himself or was that a factory option?

Also, Im not as big a guy as you....any chance that @ 165lbs I could paddle with the seat scuppers open? I'm not fond of sitting in a puddle of water even if I have warmed it up!

tight lines,
Scott

·
Registered
187 Posts
Cory,
Unfortuntely OK is not listing camo as a color option after all on the website. I think it had something to do with the amount of plastic used in the molding process. They are sticking with an olive instead. It's kind of a bummer, because I REALLY like the camo. It looks like they were blending the olive and sand colors to get it. There were a few produced in camo during the first prioduction runs though.

Scott,
Yeh, the Rod Pod is not perfect for eveyone. Kayak Kevin and I ran the boats through their paces a few months back, and he personally liked the raised dash area that is on the ones that don't get the Pod cut out. To quote him directly, "My fish won't fit in the Rod Pod"... Go figure?!?! I personally like the Rod Pod, because it is really convenient, and I can even store a soft cooler in it.

Anyway, Keith cut the smaller hatch hole himself, and just bolted down the pyramid Scotty base forward of the hatch. The small round hatch fits perfectly within the width of the dash, and it was plenty big for the items he wanted to store in it.

As for your size, I don't think you will have any problems. I automatically put foam balls in my seat scuppers anyway, but at 165 lbs I can't foresee much if any water getting in through them. Interestingly I hear people say that they think the Trident 11 is even drier than the Trident 13. I paddled both earlier this year, and each was surprisingly dry, even with my gravitationally challenged girth. Also, after prior problems with the original Drifters being super-wet in the seating area and needing to be redesigned, I think Ocean Kayak has learned to consider that issue in their design proces... I hope.

Anyway, hit me up if you want to test one. I also still have a Trident 13 in orange that I may need to move.

Cheers!

John "Toast" Oast
Ocean Kayak Fishing Team
Fishyaker.com

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I am looking at Trident 13 and Malibu x-13. I would buy Malibu x-13 if I figure out how to put the battery box insidel. If I buy trident 13, it will be a standard model because I think Rod Pod is a bad feature for my fishing need. I want my rod holder on the raised dash.

John,
I don't have demo Trident 13 available where I live. What is your opinion on the speed of Trident 13? I paddle long distance many times.
Thanks,
Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts