Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I love to fish. I know the fall trolling season is almost upon us. I want to fish but I have a problem. I am a complete wuss in cold weather.

I have a 19ft. Bayliner Cuddy Cabin. The windshield offers some protection from the elements. The canvas and curtains that came with it are no longer usable. I still have the mounting frame. I contacted someone named Tama about replacing the curtains. To do both sides she wanted about $700.00. I understand she does good work.

Will this give me enough relief from th elements to at least make it tolerable for a wuss to enjoy fall trolling? Is this money well spent or should I just try and tough it out? Is there any such thing as a heater for this situation? Please help out a wuss who would like to troll into December.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I bought a buddy heater to put in the cabin while out there. Have not used it yet fishing but if it buys me just 1 more day, it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Curtains will definitely be the best help since they totally block wind and spray. Not sure how quick you'll be able to get them done though.

Also, invest in a good pair of base layers like skiers wear and ski socks. These are made to wick moisture away from you unlike cotton.

I have been known to break out the ski jackets as well ... am a wuss also. :yes: then again I am a girl ;-)

Sherry

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
Call a few friends and put together a charter trip.Most charters have heaters in the cabin :yes: and the 38-45 foot boats are much nicier to fish from.

I know I'll hear sh*t for saying this but small single outboard open boats in winter are dangerous.The bay can turn rough in an hour -the water is cold enough to kill and thick fog can roll in during the day.

The charters have radar :thumbup: - most have twin engines :thumbup: and all carry safe captains.

Don't hold me to the price but you should be able to go for about $100.00 or less a person.The mate gets a tip- most guys give a $20.00 or so.

Winter on the bay requires your boat to be in perfect shape.I help out 5-6 guys every year.Towing them in, leading them back with radar or breaking down the 3-4 foot waves.

You are not a wuss- winter is tough fishing.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm with the boys' Buddy Heater is the ticket :thumbup: I out mine down in the cabin and open the hatch. it will run you out if the encloser even with the back curtain rolled up. Wallmart has them cheap and you can get the coleman propane tanks for like 2.50 ea. last hrs

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I mean this in fun, but this video may help you... and a lot of the TFers:

My wife hates the cold, and she gets out every winter at least once. Layers, wool socks, little hand warmers, and good head covering are essential. A big thermos with your favorite hot drink will help too. Just bundle up and you'll be okay.

The fishing's too good to stay home and take up cross stitching! It only feels cold when you're not catching fish!

Josh

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,758 Posts
So You Get Cold...........

Tom Hughes Guide Service
410.744.2351 OfficeFull Time443.690.3164 Boat
Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Guide
DavisSmith:
Please help out a wuss who would like to troll into December.
This will keep you warm.......
From Under Armour
1) Put on Men's HeatGear underwear
2) Put on pair of Men's UA Metal Football Socks
3) Put on a Men's ColdGear UA Base Zip Shirt
4) Put on a Men's ColdGear UA Base Leggings
From Cabela's
5) Put on a Wolverine Klondike Shirt
6) Put on a pair of Gore-Tex Lined Roughneck Canvas Pants
7) Put on a pair of Wolverine 9" Gore-Tex 600 Gram Thinsulate Ridgeline Boots
From Under Armour
8) Put on a UA ColdGear Hood
9) Put on a UA Men's Arctic Beanie
From Cabela's
10) Put on a Cabela's Dry Plus Ultra Guide Jacket
11) Put on a pair of Cabela's Dry Plus Ultra Guide Pants
From Under Armour
12) Put on a pair of UA Storm Ramius Gloves
..................I'm not sure how many fish you can catch, but you will stay warm.

Capt. Tom Hughes
Now Booking Summer, Fall, & CBBT Trips

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
From Grady White:

Zipper 4 sided enclosure.

Fire up the heater.

Fish in Hawaiin shirts :D

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Hi David,

Good luck with your decision.
Good advice by many here. :D
I have been cold wx feeshin for about the last 7 yrs, thanks to wwa/tf. Most of mine is light tackle though.
To me a 19 footer is pushin it. you got to think about comfort and safety.

Also, you pick your days. lots of nice days in nov/dec/jan/etc. Pick the little wind days with temps in the 50's, they can be very pleasant.
Always have someone else with you (don't be dumb like me). They are a number of guys that feesh this time of yr, in bigger boats, try ho'ing.

I have drop down curtains from the hardtop to the gunnels. They are nice when running. But I like the fresh air when trolling or jigging.

Good luck. :D

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I with Capt Tom growing up in the great white north LAYERS LAYERS and more LAYERS. Before Cabelas and all the good stuff. Don't wear cotton as your first layer all it will do is keep Water near your body with the new whicking gear that goes on first then keep closing the gaps up think layers cotton/wool/gortex as for as your hands go I have no idea I had cold damage to them from working in the cold for years so they go hot, then tinglingly then it is like wear boxing gloves till I can thaw them. so hand warmers and good gloves or they might be like mine wool socks too

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
So I love to fish. I know the fall trolling season is almost upon us. I want to fish but I have a problem. I am a complete wuss in cold weather.

I have a 19ft. Bayliner Cuddy Cabin. The windshield offers some protection from the elements. The canvas and curtains that came with it are no longer usable. I still have the mounting frame. I contacted someone named Tama about replacing the curtains. To do both sides she wanted about $700.00. I understand she does good work.

Will this give me enough relief from th elements to at least make it tolerable for a wuss to enjoy fall trolling? Is this money well spent or should I just try and tough it out? Is there any such thing as a heater for this situation? Please help out a wuss who would like to troll into December.
--Make A Phone safari to hock shops or Bargin second hand stores for a Commercial Sewing Machine --After ya buy it , your on your own on finding a Seamstress to rezipper your frames--

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Tom Hughes Guide Service
410.744.2351 OfficeFull Time443.690.3164 Boat
Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Guide
DavisSmith:This will keep you warm.......
From Under Armour
1) Put on Men's HeatGear underwear
2) Put on pair of Men's UA Metal Football Socks
3) Put on a Men's ColdGear UA Base Zip Shirt
4) Put on a Men's ColdGear UA Base Leggings
From Cabela's
5) Put on a Wolverine Klondike Shirt
6) Put on a pair of Gore-Tex Lined Roughneck Canvas Pants
7) Put on a pair of Wolverine 9" Gore-Tex 600 Gram Thinsulate Ridgeline Boots
From Under Armour
8) Put on a UA ColdGear Hood
9) Put on a UA Men's Arctic Beanie
From Cabela's
10) Put on a Cabela's Dry Plus Ultra Guide Jacket
11) Put on a pair of Cabela's Dry Plus Ultra Guide Pants
From Under Armour
12) Put on a pair of UA Storm Ramius Gloves
..................I'm not sure how many fish you can catch, but you will stay warm.

Capt. Tom Hughes
Now Booking Summer, Fall, & CBBT Trips
--Tom Got Any Used underware For sale?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I bought a Dyna Glo heater from home depot. It has autoimatic shut off if it falls over. I have a Mako253 with curtains they need some work I need to replace the windows and a zipper or two but it sure worked out last year at the CBBT we were fishing in t-shirts when the fish hit and reeled them, in and ran back into the curtain area after boating fish. Get curtains and a heater and youn will be fine.

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,758 Posts
capt.george: I posted what I'd like to have, but unfortunately I'm still wearing some pretty old stuff....that nobody would want.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Fishing Tip: Double the use of your long johns. One day wear them right side out, on the second day wear them turned inside out. :clapping2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts